Return to the Plant Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Trying to propogate Pussy Willow

Posted by etoja77 6b (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 23, 12 at 19:48

Hi members, I am new to this forum and was hoping to get some help. Last spring I got a bunch of Pussy Willow branches and one of them grew a root in my vase. SO i decided to try to grow a tree out of it. I planted it in the pot, fertilized and watered it generously. New sprout grew from the root and several leaves grew. It was going well until recent weeks. All of the leaves are turning yellow and drying. I keep the tree in the pot indoors, it gets plenty of light and the temp in our house is pretty cool.

I appreciate any advice! Thank you!

Here is a link that might be useful: Here is what it looks like now.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Trying to propogate Pussy Willow

The willows generally known as Pussy Willows (several species) are bone hardy outdoor shrubs. They are also deciduous. So your plant needs to be outside and allowed to drop its leaves naturally in winter. I would place it outside somewhere relatively sheltered, since it's been inside so far, and forget about it until next spring. They can grow into very large shrubs and are not really a candidate for container growing, even outside. In the long term it needs to be planted in the soil. Once in the ground it will require plenty of moisture but no feeding.

o
RE: Trying to propogate Pussy Willow

welcome !!!!1

what flora said..

but it also research spider mites ...

bottom line.. it is NOT a houseplant ... and you will struggle wildly.. to make it into one ...

and of course.. being deciduous.. it will loose its leaves every year.. when the sun starts to decline ...i cant tell plant size.. nor pot size.. but it looks like that media.. might not be the best for a shrub.. rather than a house plant .... if you want to discuss that.. you could post a better picture of the whole ...

if you want to get it outside.. we need to know where you are.. as getting it outdoors.. for winter dormancy.. would involve 'hardening it off' .. to outdoor temps.. rather than just pitching it out the door ... lol .. but i bet even that would work ...

frankly.. you have to try hard to kill a PW ... and most likely.. last spring.. if you simply stuck the branches in mother earth.. some of them would have rooted.. with little or no care from you ....

you are loving this plant to death.. so what is the next step???? are you willing to let it be free .. to see if it comes back to you .. or do you want to look at a bare indoor plant all winter .. either choice is fine with me ... [though if you keep it indoors.. you are probably going to have to let it dry out pretty well.. while its leafless .. we dont want to rot the roots on a dormant shrub] ...

good luck

ken

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plant Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here