Return to the Plant Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
ficus lyrata cuttings

Posted by stogeo (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 2, 07 at 20:25

I have some clippings from a fiddle leaf fig/lyrata... I have them in water and I'm wondering if I'm wasting time. will they root this way?
I was given these by a coworker who pruned his back.
any tips?
thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: ficus lyrata cuttings

I have not been able to root this plant in water, or apply IBA (rooting hormone & sticking insoil. The only way I have had success is "air-layering"
Now that is me you may have better luck.....

o

I took a leaf from my boss's ficus lyrata plant and stuck it in water. AFter 2 months with nothing happening, I dipped it in rooting hormone and stuck it in a mixture of potting soil and sand. I put it in a plastic bag and set the whole pot on a heating pad. Voila! In a few weeks I had a sizeable root ball growing. However, now, after months and months, nothing more has happened. I have a big green leaf with a big root ball. That's all. I was hoping for a plantlet or a stem or something else resembling a full-fledged plant!

o

Hello! I recently found this site to help guide me propagate my new fiddle leaf.
http://www.extension.iastate.edu/Publications/PM268.pdf

I'd like to branch out my 2 single stems in the pot I bought, but do not want to waste the tops. So I thought I'd try to root them and either keep them or give them away to friends/family once ready to go.

I know I need sphagnum moss and was hoping someone can point me in the right direction for a good brand and what quantity I need. I know in the directions I have, it says 2 handfuls but not sure how much that translates to when buying a bag. Also I read that there are thousands of species of sphagnum moss and don't know which to buy. I have a prime account on amazon to get free shipping. Can someone help me pick one?
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_nr_p_85_0?rh=n%3A2972638011k%3Asphagnum+mossp_85%3A2470955011&keywords=sphagnum+moss&ie=UTF8&qid=1365048689&rnid=2470954011

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plant Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here