Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cliffthegoalie1972

How do you root peach and/or willow trees from cuttings?

cliffthegoalie1972
18 years ago

Can someone tell me how and when to try to start cuttings from my corkscrew willow or my peach trees? Also, does anyone know if you have to do anything special to Burl Oak acorns to get them to germinate? Do I have to do anything special to Black Haw fruits to get them to germinate next spring. They are native here in Oklahoma...Sorry for so many questions. I would appreciate any help.....Thanks, Cliff

Comments (8)

• geoforce
    18 years ago

Peach are very hard from cuttings, but willow is a dead cinch. Take dormant cuttings in late winter or early spring and they will root easily . Works well with the old "stick in ground under fruit jar" method.

Black Haw (Viburnum prunifolium) is common over most of Eastern US, even up here in PA. Clean off the pulp and soak in warm water overnight. plant about 1" deep outside and most will sprout next spring. These also root sucker a lot, and these can be divided off for new plants.

Burr Oak (Quercus macrocarpa) acorns should be planted about 3" deep outside also.

I'm a native Okie, born and raised there, but have been up here in PA for 35 years. Hope you have luck with these.

George

• jdat747
    18 years ago

I'm getting ready to root some peach trees using some rooting hormone powder that I got from the nursery center at a Walmart. All you are supposed to have to do is moisten the ends of the cuttings, dip in the powder, plant, and mist(water) regularly. It's a warm January in central Texas so far where I live, but if you are further north you might want to wait til late Feb. Also I'll be putting my cuttings in pots and in my green house for now anyway. Good luck.

• little_dani
    18 years ago

My husband collects the Burr acorn every year and just pots them up. He grows wonderful trees, and sells them to a wholesale grower. He loves growing them so much (along with pecan trees, palm trees, peach trees, and any other kind of tree!!!) that I have threatened him, should I find them in my flowerbeds again!

Grinning, of course.

Janie

• hello_c_j_here
    16 years ago

Hello All, new here... interested in growing Burr and willows.
    Cliff... have a few clippings you'd be willing to mail?

Or is there an "exchange" here like there is in the Bamboo forumn?
    Thanks clutedad@nc.rr.com - no spam please
    CJ

• cobble_b
    13 years ago

If you want to propogate peaches, all research i have found says you want to take semi-ripe cuttings (still green) from the ends of the branches. If you pruned last year, the tips will more succesfully root.
    try to get a stronger percent IBA3 rooting powder.
    It commonly comes in .1, .3, & .5% strengths.
    The stronger the powder, the more succesful it should turn out. Take cuttings in June.
    You have to have mist - 7 second burts every 10 minutes or so for best results... trick is to not let leaves wilt, and not let the bottoms become saturated with water.

I am trying to get som to root now myself, it is sort of working... will know for sure if successful in a week or two.

• szwho14_yahoo_com
    13 years ago

If you are talking about curley willow it is simple any time . Cut off branches put in water until they root and keep damp after pottin or planting in ground .One of the easiest things I have ever grown.

• featheryoung77_gmail_com
    12 years ago

I took some large cuttings from a weeping willow in March, rolled them in rooting hormone powder, stuck them in the very wet ground where our septic leech lines apparently empty, and they began getting new growth within 2 months. Very simple! I have planted plum, apple, dogwood, redbud, pear, and PEACHES this way also, and I am having wonderful results so far. I thought it was worth a try, and it seems to be working quite well. Hope you have the same luck with yours as I have with mine here in northcentral Arkansas. I have found the best thing is not to be afraid to experiment and not to listen to what everyone else tells you to do or not to do!

• albert_135   39.17°N 119.76°W 4695ft.
    12 years ago

Feather Young, have you checked the willows planted in March and showing new growth for roots? Some woody plants started in the spring will show new growth before roots.

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio