Return to the Plant Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Snake plant propagation

Posted by best_botanist kansas (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 19, 05 at 0:17

hello, i have a snake plant and some perlite. i was wondering if i caould propagate them in pure perlite or would i need to put some soil in there with them. and how would i go about propgationg them.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Snake plant propagation

Propagating Sansevieria is kind of like a hobby of mine. ;-] The best way I find, and always encourage others to use, is to wait until the
plant sends out the new offshoots . When the offsets form 2-3 leaves, often these already have formed a nice root system, I just break it off.
It is very easy to beak off by the way. Wait a few days before potting it in well drained soil. Perlite added to the mix is fine but I prefer
using pumice because it does not float to the top when watering.

Ankrara's Hobby Corner

o

Hey, mine have like 3 to four offsets that are 4-7 inches long. but i was really wondering how i propagate them by leaf cuttings. any advice would be nice.

o

Remove one entire leaf carefully from the mother plant. Prepare your rooting container (s) and medium. A good potting soil with plenty of your perlite would be fine. You might want to see if you can find pumice as our friend Supannee suggests. I advise against pure perlite. I prefer to use shallow containers for rooting, and then to transplant them later. Just make sure that whatever you use has holes in the bottom for drainage. Styrofoam take out boxes are useful!

Moisten your potting mix prior to making the cuttings from the leaf. Remember, when making several cuttings from one leaf, it is very important to remember which end is right side up! After you make the first cutting, they will all look alike, so be conscientious about this.

The number of 2 inch cuttings you can make depends upon the length of your leaf, obviously. Insert the cuttings, bottom side down, about half way into the prepared mix. Water well once again when you are finished with them all. Place in a warm (bottom heat is helpful) location, out of full sun until well rooted. Do not pull those cuttings to test for roots, as this will disturb activity that you can't see with your naked eye. Wait until you begin to see the new plantlets emerge from the base of your cuttings. That will be your new plant. The original cuttings will not grow, and you can actually sever them from the baby plants prior to transplanting.

Keep the soil moist during the rooting process, but not soggy. I've never covered any cuttings with glass or plastic and judging by the 100% success rate, don't think it's necessary. The most common reason for failure would probably be with over watering, so be careful.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sansevieria cuttings

o

Hwy thanks alot. i use a handfull of purilite and a handful of mirical grow. is that good? i really do appreciate the advice. u think u can read my other one about draceneas? u seem to know about propagation. thnks

o

I have a 3 year old snake plant with 2 central plants. They have gotten very floppy at their center base. One side has come off. Can I restart the plants? I need to know if I need to grow a new root system in water and then plant, or plant directly in soil. HELP!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plant Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here