Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
oohstella

Can you propagate a Christmas tree?

oohstella
10 years ago

Forgive me if this has been posted before. My only source of internet is through my phone, which makes it difficult for me to browse through forum history.

My friend told me that his crazy uncle used to replant his Christmas trees. Every year he would chop down the oldest tree and decorate it for Christmas, then at the end of the holiday he would replant it with the rest, then continue doing so every year.

Does this sound like a factual story? Is there some way i could propagate my christmas tree?

Comments (5)

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    10 years ago

Sorry, but somehow the story got messed up. The tree would have to have been dug up and then replanted. Even then, conditions would have to be just right for the tree to survive being dug, being held indoors, and then being taken back outside and planted. Many people buy live trees for Christmas trees and then replant them after Christmas. Sometimes they survive. BUT, the trees cannot have been cut down! They have to be dug and properly prepared (balled and burlapped).

• david52 Zone 6
    10 years ago

Would it be possible that this tree in question is something like a thuja or evergreen species which can be propagated from cuttings?

Finish Christmas, whack off a foot-length branch, stick it in some damp potting soil in a southern-facing window, and next summer, plant it out.

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    10 years ago

Even the cuttings recommendation would have some real limits. Besides the facts that it wouldn't have been the whole tree and that only certain species would lend themselves to this technique, one would need to take the cuttings from a fresh tree before it was left on display. I can't imagine the cuttings surviving if taken from a tree held inside for days, weeks, or even a month.

• squirrellypete
    10 years ago

This sounds very far-fetched if the tree was in fact "cut down". I would say impossible.

Although I will attest that one year, my Father took the lazy approach and simply moved our real cut Christmas tree from the living room and out onto the back porch instead of disposing of it out in our woods like he usually did. It remained alive and green in its Christmas Tree stand for MONTHS well on into the summer. We were stunned and at one point started halfway joking that maybe it would still be alive by next Christmas and we could just bring it back in lol. The rain just kept re-filling the reservoir and kept it watered. I honestly can't remember in the end if it finally started to turn brown or if he just got tired of it taking up deck space. But that tree had to have been alive and green for at least 6 months, I know it made it past my birthday.

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    10 years ago

I think it could be done. Probably a willow would be difficult to decorate for Christmas, but they are easy to start. Al