Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bananawelfare

Leaf Cutting from a Beefsteak Begonia

BananaWelfare
12 years ago

I acquired a leaf cutting from a beefsteak begonia several weeks ago from a friend. I didn't have time to do anything with it at that moment so I just dropped it in a cup of water until now. I just have a leaf with a long petiole, but there are now several long roots growing at the tip of the petiole where it was cut from the original plant.

I don't have much experience with this so I'm curious how to best proceed. At first I thought I could just put the petiole tip in soil, but I don't think there is anything from which a new plant to grow currently. I was reading that one method is to make slices at the leaf veins and put the leaf directly against moist soil. Is this the better method for my situation? Any specifics for a beefsteak begonia would be extremely helpful.

Comments (4)

• Woebegonia
    12 years ago

Where the roots are showing ,I think is the fastest way to propagate this one, the method of making slices at the leaf veins could have been done earlier, and may be done later if the leaf stays healthy. However right now you are in good shape with roots showing. You may leave them in the water a bit longer, but you can also go ahead and place them against damp sphagnum or damp mix and cover lightly with the same, protect with a tightplastic bag to continue humidity, watch and see what develops. I don't root in water, I think it is faster to start on damp moss or perlite or soil, whatever looks good. But I always soak a cutting in water before doing anything so it is crisp and turgid at the start. You seem to know what you are doing, good luck.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    12 years ago

Begonias are probably best propagated via leaf cuttings and there are several ways to do it. Just remember that the genetic information required to create new roots and shoots occurs in those veins.

Secure your leaf against the damp (already prepared) medium so that there is full leaf to medium contact. THEN make your slices. The surface of the medium needs to be firm (but not tamped down) and smooth.

You can also cut your leaf into several sections and simply lay those down against your prepared medium or insert them into the medium.

My favorite (just because it was so amazing) experience occurred when I was working my way through Va. Tech; one of my part time jobs was in a commercial greenhouse, transplanting jillions of bedding plant seedlings and doing other propagation chores.

One morning I walked in and saw a tall stack of gorgeous begonia leaves and several prepared flats of soil-less medium. OH, and a paper punch. I forget, now, how many little discs I was able to punch from each leaf but it was a bunch! By the time my work for the season was finished, he had many hundreds of pretty little begonia plants, potted up in crisp white pots.

I'm not so sure that this is the best time of years for a rapid response from your efforts, though. Spring is ideal.

You are correct about your conclusion that your begonia can't make new plants from a petiole cutting. New roots will form, but that's it. Petioles are often used as the anchor to hold a leaf in place against the propagating medium.

• thelmajones
    8 years ago

Can someone please make a video on how to root and pot a beefsteak begonia? I cut a few stems with the rhizome attached and placed them in water. Beautiful roots grew. Then I placed the rooted stems in a pot of dirt. They are drooping and I think are getting ready to die. I am now reading about how to root and repot the beefsteak begonia and am learning various ways of how it can be done. I now need to SEE the exact procedure to follow--I'm a visual learner! Will be much appreciative of video help. Thanks!!

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    8 years ago

Hi & welcome, TheImajones! You may want to ask about this on the Begonia forum also.

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/begonia

Sponsored