Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
grancru

Tri Colored Beech Rooting

Grancru
15 years ago

Can Tri Colored Beech be rooted successfully?

I have some I am trying to root currently. They are 2 months into the process and the buds are breaking and opening beautifully.

Just wondering if they stand a chance at survival or not.

Grancru

Comments (8)

• yiorges-z5il
    15 years ago

I use cuttings of firm new tip growth taken July. Apply 0.8% IBA (rooting hormone) stick in well drained soil & mist taking 5-6 weeks to root.
    NOTE: strength of rooting hormone

• karyn1
    15 years ago

Thanks yiorges. I'll have to try a rooting hormone with that concentration as all the cuttings I've attempted have failed. Does bottom heat help and should the pot be covered? My friend has this tree and I just loved it. I'd rather buy a mature tree but can't find it at any of the local nurseries and the shipping is outrageous for a good size specimen online.

• yiorges-z5il
    15 years ago

1) Bottom heat helps 2) covering the pot often ptomotes fungal growth so remove cover several times a day instead I use a old windex spray bottle to mist the cuttings. 3) at this time of the year many nurseries are ordering plants/trees/shrub for next years sale contact several & see who will special order one for you. 4) I found a 0.8% IBA & then dilute it down to get the different strengths I need to propagate a wide variety of plants

• karyn1
    15 years ago

Asking the nursery to special order it is a good idea. I never thought of that.
    Thanks!

• Grancru
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Yiorge,

How long have you been doing it? Have you had multi year success with the root system being strong enough? How do you harden the plants off in the spring?

I have mine in a tent with 100% hunidity, bottom heat and spray with anti fungal every now and then.

They are with a bunch of junipers, cypress and Chamaecyparis nootkatensis 'Green Arrow'.
    What others do you root? What can be done this time of year successfully?

Now I am looking for another project to take on until J. Maple Grafting starts in March. Cabin fever setting in.
    I need something to toy with.

Grancru

• rodh
    9 years ago

I just got some cuttings yesterday, 23 Oct 2014, took them home and used some rootone powder on six twigs and about a 10% dip n grow on the other six, put them in potting soil. Should they be brought in the house or left outside on the potting bench?
    thanks Rod.

• Denise Nash
    7 years ago

@rodh - how did they start for you? I just made some cuttings and am trying to root them, using rootone powder.

• gardenprincethenetherlandsZ7/8
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I wonder if it is an easy thing to root European beech cultivars from cuttings. Where I live (The Netherlands) all the cultivars are grafted and I've never seen young plants that were propagated from cuttings. Propagation through cuttings is much more cheaper than grafting so why do professional growers keep on propagating European beech cultivars like 'Tri Color' 'Asplenifolia' and 'Rohanni' through grafting? One of the few answers I can think off is that the success rate of propagating European beech cultivars through cuttings is low and that grafting makes more economical sense.

Can someone from the USA tell me if professional American growers propagate European beech cultivars through cuttings? Also, are there gardeners who have been able to root European beech cuttings without a professional setup (bottom heat, misting system, rooting hormone)?

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?