Return to the Plant Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
ardisia crenata

Posted by ecb_nuseries 9 (My Page) on
Thu, Dec 3, 09 at 10:08

hi im trying to figure out if i should remove the fleshy sead coat off the seed of a ardisia before planting. I have a spot where i know they grow so i want to colect some seeds when would I do that? i know they need almost constant moisture. i have had trouble looking this plant up so i also want to know how long it takes to get them into reasonable size. any info you have on this plant and how to propagate it is very helpful. thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: ardisia crenata

Yes, remove the fleshy seed coating and plant right away. You are aware that seed raised Ardisia will take several years or more to bloom and that is why commercial growers propagate it from tip cuttings taken mid-summer. Should take three years to have a saleable sized shrub from seed.

o

o_0 damn! i guess i may be able to get some cuttings but not much. well thanks for the help anyway!

o

I recently purchased an Ardisia and was surprised at how pretty they really are after a lot of cleaning up. Are they fast growers?
Thanks

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plant Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here