Return to the Plant Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rooting African Violets (and other things) is so easy!

Posted by little_dani 9, S. Tex Coast (My Page) on
Thu, Dec 29, 05 at 12:53

This is the easiest method of rooting African Violets that I have ever used.

Supplies you will need:
styrofoam cup
plastic cup, big enough to hold the styrofoam cup
1/4 cup vermiculite
1/4 cup perlite
distilled water

You will need a styrofoam cup to start. Punch holes around the cup about 1 1/2" from the bottom, and punch 4 or 5 holes right around the bottom edge. The bottom holes are for watering, the top holes are for drainage.

Pour the vermiculite into the styrofoam cup. Top with the perlite.

Cut healthy leaves from a violet plant. Stick the stems into the perlite, with or without rooting hormone.
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Pour a little distilled water into the plastic cup and set the styrofoam cup in the water. As water is absorbed by the vermiculite and perlite, the leaf cutting will be drawn down into the vermiculite.

Set the cups on a window sill where it gets filtered light but no direct sun.

Just keep it watered, but not soggy. In 3 or 4 weeks, you will see new little leaves emerging on top of the perlite. You can feed with half strength water soluable fertilizer when the leaves are a week or so old. Use your judgement on when to do this, but do not use full strength fertilizer.

When the root system is well grown, pot them up in a peat based mix, and put them where they get good light, but not direct sun.

I like to grow African violets to give as gifts. There is just something about seeing those little leaves pop out of that perlite.

This is a good project for kids too.

Janie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rooting African Violets (and other things) is so easy!

Thanks so much for posting - especially with pictures. I've had almost no luck with propogation, but you've inspired me to try again.

o

i am having trouble with my african violets. i have about 8 and they have very good leaves but i cant seem to get them to bloom. what am i doing wrong? any help would be appreciated. thank you

o

I feed my violets everytime I water them. Just get a little bottle of violet food (liquid), and put the recommended amount of drops into a gallon of distilled water. I have city water, so I don't put it on my plants. If you have a well, just draw up a gallon of it and add the fertilizer.

Mine are blooming like crazy right now.

Good Luck!

Janie

o

Your info is very thorough and helpful. (I haven't been on this site in a while- I just got your reply today!) I will try that method with my African violet.

o

can i use the water where people use to fill there water jug or do i have to use distill water ????

o

You can use that water I think.

Chlorine is the biggest offender, and I don't think that water has chlorine added to it. My friend has to use it, as she is allergic to chlorine in her tap water.

Good Luck!

Janie

o

You can also stick an AV leaf in a shallow dish of water until you get roots, and then put it in soil. When I last did this, I got many shoots off of each leaf, which I then planted separately in the little Dixie cups that you can buy.
-Jmcat

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plant Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here