Return to the Plant Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
rubber tree (ficus elastica)

Posted by MiamiFL55 NJ (My Page) on
Sun, Dec 4, 05 at 13:15

I was given cuttings from a friend's very healthy rubber tree. Now I don't know the best (& easiest) way to root the cuttings. I have had them in water for several days. Will they take root this way? Thanks for any help you can give me!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: rubber tree (ficus elastica)

I doubt it...... I use a 0.3% IBA (Rooting hormone) stick in well drained soil & mist takes 20-60 days to root..... With this plant I have had best luck with air-layering...

o

Thanks so much for answering. What is air layering??

o

• Posted by Pam_AA z5 Berwyn Il. (My Page) on
    Wed, Dec 7, 05 at 23:59

I have rooted f. elastica cuttings 4-9" long in plain old potting soil, nothing else. Most of them took. F. elastica is one tough customer as long as it's not kept soggy.

o

Do you find it better to let the cut end dry up, or stick it in the ground while still oozing the latex-like sap?

o

Hello. Its winter time here in Maryland, hardiness zone 7. Can i still take cuttings from a large ficus.e?

o

I recommend that you sover the cut end with rooting harmone (but this may not be necessary) and place the cut end of the cutting in moist potting soil and cover the entire pot/plane with clear plastic with holes cut in the bag just lower that the pot to allow air circulation. Keep it moist and place it out of direct sunlight, but in a warm spot. It should root in 3-5 weeks.

o

The best method is air layering for this plant. So instead of taking a cutting google the air layering of rubber plants procedures and do that.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plant Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here