Return to the Plant Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Gafting Salix caprea onto Salix babylonica

Posted by wonderlex 7a (My Page) on
Wed, Dec 26, 12 at 14:56

I live in central NJ and had a beautiful weeping willow (Salix babylonica)in my backyard before superstorm Sandy broke off the whole crown of the tree. As an experiment, I wanted to try grafting pussy willow (Salix caprea) onto the remaining stump.

Will it take? Has anyone tried it?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Gafting Salix caprea onto Salix babylonica

I can't answer your specific question but I am pretty sure that your weeping willow will regrow vigorously, however badly damaged it is. And since weeping willow is potentially a largish tree while pussy willow is a large shrub, even if the latter takes as a graft, the original weeping willow will outgrow it. But there's no down side to just trying it out.

o

you can google whether the trunk will accept the graft ...

and let me start by saying.. ALL EXPERIMENTING is good and fun ... what do you have to lose???

but one thing my gut tells me... most grafters dont fool with grafting onto large trunks ... and i dont know why ...

that said.. if you did NOT poison the stump with stump killer.. or 100% roundup [per label] .. then you tree is not dead ... and you will probably spend the next few years cursing it.. lol ...

other than for the experimenting.. i really do NOT know.. why you would want a pussy willow on a willow.. lol.. especially since PW roots rather freely ... why bother grafting.. which leads me back to the experiment ..

go for it

ken

o

Thank you for your comments!

A few days ago a friend gave me fresh pussy willow cuttings some of which I grafted onto the weeping willow :)) The remaining cuttings are in wet sand where I hope they root.

If the grafts take I will upload some pictures in the spring...

o

Hi,

Since u guys know about willows I thought I would butt in a question here. Salix caprea will always be upright? No way to train it into a weeping tree form?

pebbles

o

Pebbles, since this is Wonderlex's thread and responses are emailed to him/her, and, since the subject of your question is not really directly related to this thread, I think it would be inappropriate to answer here. You might consider starting your own thread. Responses would go to you instead of Wonderlex and there would be a lot less confusion, now and later on, when people try to search for info.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plant Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here