Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
theoneelectronic

Michelia alba air layering

theoneelectronic
13 years ago

Several month ago, during summer, I started trying to propagate my Michelia alba by air layering. I've tried it on three separate branches and so far I have yet to see roots. All three branches are alive and healthy and all of them have big calluses at the cut end, which I assume is a good sign.

My questions are: how long should I expect to wait to see roots? Is it possible I might just see exponential callus growth and no root formation? Will periodic brushing with rooting hormone help?

Comments (14)

• yiorges-z5il
    13 years ago

The calluses are a good sign. additional applications of rooting hormone will not normally help NOTE: I use a 0.3 to 0.8% IBA on this plant) My first concern is the peat around the air layer is kept moist.

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    13 years ago

I agree with george, it is very difficult to keep the peat moist for the months it takes for roots to start, but ABSOLUTELY necessary. If any sun is involved aluminum foil can be used to cover the layering. Al

• napapen
    13 years ago

I do alot of air layering and sometimes the callus just wants to increase in size without roots. I have trimmed the bottom of the callus and also made sure that all the cambium is gone on the open area, repowdered, rewrapped and got roots.

Penny

• Mickey Kwok
    11 years ago

I live in San Francisco, Ca. I have a 30 sfeet tall michelia alba tree planted in my backyard for almost 30 years. I have been trying a lot of way to airlayering the tree, but none of them were successful. But on June 2011, I tried to airlayerring the michelia alba again. Guess what, on July 2012 I discovered that my airlayered michelia alba was rooting. See the picture. I do hope that the rooted michelia alba will grow after I cut it off the mother tree and transplant to a 5 gals pot. Wish me luck.

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    11 years ago

Good job. You should be good to go, just don't let the new roots dry out in the process. Keep the pot in the shade to limit transpiration until feeder roots grow. If wilting is a problem you may need to raise the humidity. Al

• sam89
    11 years ago

Good job. I tried to air layer my tree two months ago. Today I opened the wrapping to check how it was going. I found upper ring of bark was split and swelling. Is this a good sign ?
    -Sam

• Mickey Kwok
    10 years ago

This is to follow up my air layered michelia alba that root on the above picture. After I transplanted it to the pot, for a wile it showed sign of growing. But on last year, the planed michelia alba's branches all dried up. I thought it was dying. But guess what, on Last Nov. 2013, I saw at the end of one branch, there was some green leaf coming out. Oh boy, I was so happy. Now it grow green leaves. Hope it will grow. Here is the picture of it. But bad news that the air layered MA died on me. After this Jan. it slowly dried out the new leaves and now it is completely brown and no new shoot and leaves. So sad. But I will try to air layer another one.
    Here is one that I air layered on 2010, and I re-air layered it on 2012. Now I can see the roots thru the pouch. Hope it will grow more new roots before I cut it and transplant to a pot. When should cut it and transplant?

This post was edited by Michelia-Mickey on Thu, May 15, 14 at 13:55

• savy4
    9 years ago

Here are some the method that I use. I soak the spaghmun peat moss overnight. Then I use root hormone and peat moss.

Savy

• Mickey Kwok
    9 years ago

I have been air-layering a lot of time on the michelia alba, but most of them not a success. I did have some rooting . But after I transplanted them a into the pot, then later they all died. On 2010 I tried to air-layer the michelia alba again. On 2012 I opened the pouch and see any roots formed, but nothing had happen. Then I re air-layered the michelia alba on 2012. Last week, I noticed the pouch has roots. Hope this time , it will grow more roots. When should I cut the branch and transplant it to the pot?

• savy4
    9 years ago

It takes that long to airlayer the alba?

• savy4
    9 years ago

It takes that long to airlayer the alba?

• Mickey Kwok
    9 years ago

Savy4: Well, I think it depend where you are at and the weather also. It take me 4 years because the first 2 years did not have any roots forming, then I re-airlayer it. Then two years later I found out the it rooted this year.

• lai_wong81
    8 years ago

Mickey: What type of growth hormone do you use? My most recent attempt at air layering in early spring produced a huge callus but no visible roots. Today I reapplied Hormodin 3 on the callused branch and re-soaked my peat moss. Based on your experience for the Bay Area, do you think roots are soon to come or is this branch a lost cause?

Sponsored
Cellko Construction Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
Licensed General Contractor Serving Loudoun County