Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
grancru

Anyone w/Inexpensive Misting System Plans?

Grancru
17 years ago

I would like to build an inexpensive mising system for propagation if it can be done for less than a commercial unit. Has anyone done this with success and if so will you share you plans?

If not, what commercial systems are you using?

Grancru

Comments (90)

• hostalavista
    15 years ago

Are these plans still available?
    I would like a set.
    Thanks linda

• lcdc59
    15 years ago

I also would like a copy if that is possible, Thanks!!

Lester

• Jon 6a SE MA
    15 years ago

Here is a set-up with an inexpensive humidifier. It is a clip on grafting but the misting set up is explained.

Here is a link that might be useful: misting / grafting

• zerelda
    15 years ago

Mike, I would love a look at your plans. Has anyone tried it yet and do you have pics?

Many thanks,

idyllwildgardens@myway.com

• raeben
    15 years ago

I'd like a copy too. Thanks!

• haskell_metrocast_net
    15 years ago

I just found this website that has plans. They must be new...I have searched a million times for intermittent mist plans and never saw them before. They do have quite a few to choose from, and look like good plans. I haven't got one yet, but probably will soon.

Here is a link that might be useful: intermittent mist plans

• Grancru
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Yeah, for $47.00 they will sell you the same plans you can get by calling any manufacture and asking one of their sales team for assistance in creating a detailed punch list of your specific needs.

• logrock
    15 years ago

The key component of your misting system I'd say would be your controller. I invested in this one DIG 5006-IP, because I have plans to irrigate my green/screen house and even the nursery with it since it it so adaptable. That on-line store has all the nozzles and valves/solenoids but I bought some of the other little pieces stuff at the local home depot like controller wire and weird fittings to convert from a garden hose, through the valve to the 1/4" rubber hose which the fogger nozzels plug into. I should have bought a 3/4" valve/solenoid locally instead of ordering the 1" since fittings were hard to find for the garden hose input side.

Browse this guys's site and watch the videos on his FAQ page for ideas. That's basically what my rig looks like and it works very well. Or I can recommend just buying the pieces or the whole kit from him. It will last you for many years.

Also Mike, can you or someone forward me your plans? tulacat (at) comcast (dot) net .

Thanks,
    Ron

• bbeds
    14 years ago

I have been looking for plans for awhile. Could I get a set of these plans and/or places selling the parts to make one.
    thanks

• kypropagator
    14 years ago

are you still sending out these plans. please send me a set. thanks

• daneh
    14 years ago

Quote" * Posted by grancru z5 MI (My Page) on
    Sun, Mar 22, 09 at 14:53

Yeah, for $47.00 they will sell you the same plans you can get by calling any manufacture and asking one of their sales team for assistance in creating a detailed punch list of your specific needs."

Funny, if it was that easy, why did you start a tread looking for inexpensive misting system plans?

• Grancru
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Why, because I hadn't yet thought of calling to see how easy it really is and also to get some great suggestions and conversations from those actually trying to help each other here rather trying to scam whomever they can for a couple $$ such as yourself. Since Dec. 06 with a little research, help from the generous folks here and some phone calls there is all the FREE help you need. But why am I telling you this, it's probably how you got the info your are trying pawn off on others, RIGHT?
    Maybe you should reconsider your deceptive and pathetic approach to selling crap anyone can get for free rather than posting ignorant responses like your last. You might try reading the rules of this site as well which prohibits sales pitches. Get a clue, get a life and please don't go away mad, JUST GO AWAY!

• daneh
    14 years ago

Ah Yes, thanks for reminding me why I haven't been on this forum for quite awhile: the occasional incivility.

Sorry to have ruffled your feathers, but I assumed that because of the length of the thread and the amount of interest people have in plans, I would pass along that website. I could just as easily posted a link to a video I found that a guy explains how to build one, but because it is a series and is incomplete, it wouldn't have been very helpful. If I had done that, I am sure I would have received a nice comment on that too.

Please notice that I didn't send anyone to MY website where I sell misting systems and components, not plans. I do understand the rules.

Owning a nursery and propagating under mist for years teaches you a few things. That is where my knowledge came from, not from the free advice that is readily available. I found many years ago that most free stuff is usually worth what you paid for it.

I will grant your wish and go away, not because you asked, but because I prefer not to continue to participate in childish banter and be on the receiving end of uncivil remarks. I much prefer to communicate in an adult manner to the folks whom I deal with on a daily basis.

Again, sorry to have gotten you riled up for some reason. Have a great day!

• jebs
    14 years ago

hi if you are still sending these plans can i have a set please bordeauxje@yahoo.com thanks

• kidbeam
    14 years ago

I'd love a copy of the plans for the misting system if you still have them.
    mbeamy28@comcast.net

Thank you,

Mark

• dlturner
    14 years ago

Could I get a copy of misting plans if they are still avalible
    Thank You
    revfrdannyleeturner@gmail.com

• bethblue
    14 years ago

I would really like those plans too if they are still available! Thank you. bethwagenius@yahoo.com

• johnny_a
    14 years ago

I would love the plans as well if they are still available. Thank You Johnny_a_58@yahoo.com

• vschlaff
    13 years ago

Hi Mike,
    we just finished building our first greenhouse and I'm trying to convince my hubby into building a misting system for me. your plans sound great, could you email me also, and if possible send me a few pictures of what yours looks like. shawn wants to see pictures to get an idea of what he would be doing.
    Thank you,
    email is lexonildie8@yahoo.com
    Ginny

• blumenkinder
    13 years ago

Yes, I also would appreciate these mister unit plans, if available. Grancru, thank you for your email, but my computer was unable to openthe links. I emailed mickey dee, no response, so if any of you did receive the plans from him before, would someone please send them? Thanks!!!

ladybugflower2@aol.com

• mommawoo
    13 years ago

Hello to all!
    I'm almost embarrassed to ask if any of you kind folks might send me a copy of a simple, but effective homemade intermittent mist system. THANKS in advance for your consideration.
    Brendakoo

• countrysmiths
    13 years ago

I also would like the misting plans.

Thanks

Mark

countrysmiths@gmail.com

• bobbya10
    13 years ago

Is it still possible to recieve a copy of the plans?
    Thank You
    bbobbya10@yahoo.com

• stingbee
    13 years ago

I am currently building a plant cutting grow device. Of course it is way over technical and would be willing to show people how to build their own.

It is based on a small inexpensive microcomputer. At this point I can measure the soil temperature and control the temperature, increase or decrease based on the set temperature automatically. I also have an automatic misting system that could be built independently.

Mine records the events, temperature and action, and when the misters go on and off. The misters deliver 1 gallon per hour.

I plan to add a soil moisture control so I can measure the soil moisture level so I have better control over the misting system. If anyone want to know more about how to do it, just leave a message.

• certified1992
    13 years ago

Is it still possible to recieve a copy of the system plans?
    Thank You

sister2revelry@yahoo.com

• aufin
    13 years ago

I've been doing a bit of research on this subject as well, and, for what it's worth, I've decided to go a different route instead of trying to build someting. Seems everything I've found about "inexpencive" systems involve getting this timer, that timer, hook this together, adjust this, adjust that, etc. AND, I've decided a single purpose system might not prove to be very cost effective since I will be moving the rooted cuttings to individual pots with different watering requirements/system - and another timer, etc. For my money I've decided on the DIG 5006.IP timer which will control 6 zones with individual programs for each zone. DIG has other battery operated timers available for misting systems which, I'm sure, will do just as fine a job, but there again, single systems. If you look for the DIG battery operated timers be sure to look at the timers with a "P" at the end of the 710 series number. These will cost around $125. Not sure why the cost difference, must be the propagation programming. So, as I said, for cost effectiveness I've chosen the 6 system timer which can be found for under $100 delivered. You guys can play with your homemade systems if that is what you prefer, and I'm sure they'll do just fine, and I'm NOT knocking anyone wanting to go that direction, but I'm going to set mine up with a professionally designed timer that all I have to do is learn the programming ...... and also control other zones I already have being watered under other borderline acceptable timers, which I will find other uses for. I simply can't justify spending money for multiple timers when one timer can do the job of all. Just my 2 cents worth. BTW, mrdrip.com seems to have the best prices.

Also, you can find an in-line fertilizer made by DIG that can be used for fertilizer, insecticide or just as a water filter. The in-line fertilizer is exctly the same as the water filter but with a backflow preventer. I found mine at Home Depot for under $12. Online the same item cost around $15-16 + S/H.

Usual disclaimer - I have absolutely nothing to do with DIG or any DIG distributor (or Mrdrip). I just think their ready-made timer makes better sense for me and what I have in mind.

• laurahod_gmail_com
    13 years ago

Please send me a copy of the plans, too. Thank you in advance!

laurahod@gmail.com

• roseyfuture
    13 years ago

Could you also please send me the plans? much appreciated. my addy is jaguar.1968@hotmail.com

• ltruett
    13 years ago

Could I get a copy too? Thanks.

• littlejew
    13 years ago

Could I get a copy too? Thanks.

• pjlion
    10 years ago

Hey Mike, do you still have those plans for an intermittant misting system? I'd love to see them

Stingbee: I'm wanting to start rooting plant cuttings too. Mind sharing your interesting sounding device? You said it's inexpensive. Around what was your total cost? I'm especially interested in the misting device.

I'd really appreciate anyone sending me plans! Thanks so much!

Email is pjlion1st (at) g mail (dot) com

• Bradybb WA-Zone8
    10 years ago

This is one of the things I set up after seeing a video on Youtube.
    It mainly consists of a container with lid, to hold the media,plants,water tray and pond fogger/mister.Also needed is an inexpensive timer that has15 or 30 minute increments.
    Right now I'm doing mostly Blueberry cuttings,but have rooted other things like Cornus mas and Wisteria.
    The Sterilite brand container had a solid color lid,so I framed one out of 1"x2"s and stapled some 6mil greenhouse polyfilm to it.I also drilled holes in the bottom of the container.The water tray is part of a kitty litter box.
    I purchased the fogger/mister on Ebay for less than $10 total with shipping.That includes the transformer,so it's plug and play. Brady

{{gwi:122180}}
    {{gwi:122179}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Propagation of Blueberry Cuttings Using Fog

This post was edited by Bradybb on Sat, Jul 6, 13 at 20:26

• GarynJeanna
    10 years ago

Mike are you still sending plans after 6 1/2 years? Would like to get a copy if so, thanks.

• mrunix
    10 years ago

Don't have any plans on paper, but I'm not sure if any are really needed! I built this homemade misting box years ago and have rooted thousands of plants in it.. with fantastic success. In a nutshell, it's simply a wooden frame that I covered with some scrap corrugated roofing panels. The bottom is made of hardware cloth for ventilation, and it has a front 'flap' made of plastic that flips up for access. The frame itself cost me nothing.. construction site dumpsters are a great source for wood and other materials, and the roofing material was found on the side of the road being thrown out by an owner who had just redone his patio.

The misting system itself consists of an automatic timer, 150 mesh filter, some 1/4" tubing, a few "T" connectors and 4 misting tips (foggers). The timer is an older Melnor 3060, which hooks up directly to a hose bib and has a great misting cycle (on for 2 minutes, off for 10, repeat). Uses two AA batteries so no electricity is required.. batteries will last a full season. I believe it was about $20 at the Borg when I bought it years ago. I also purchased a roll of 'mister landscaper' 1/4 tubing and a pack of assorted fittings (connectors, "T" fittings, elbows, etc..) for the plumbing portion. The filter is actually part of the fitting needed to convert from the 3/4" hose connection to a 1/4" barbed connection and it includes a removable 150 mesh screen filter. The misting tips are DIG 8810BB/8825BB foggers that run at about 0.5GPH at 35psi. You can pick up a 5-pack for about $4 at the Borg. I have one tip at each corner of the box, up at the top and facing slightly downwards and towards the middle for full coverage.

I built the box big enough to accept 3 standard flats with a little room around the edges. The system could really be made any size that you like, and the only real difference would be in the number of misting tips needed. The total cost for the system was around $40 and a little bit of construction time and sweat. My only problem so far has been that the fogger tips tend to get clogged fairly quickly.. we are on well water so I attribute this to mineral buildup at the orifice (which is quite small). They need to be replaced at least once a season, but fortunately are not that expensive.

Cheers,
    Brad

• Bradybb WA-Zone8
    10 years ago

Brad,
    Maybe try a 200 mesh filter.It has helped me.Nice design. Brady

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    10 years ago

An inexpensive setup was posted just last week on the Florida Gardening Forum. See the link below and scroll down to post by Fawnridge on Monday, July 1, 2013. In his post, Fawnridge included a photo of his misting table and as well as a link to another simple mistbed design.

Carol in Jacksonville

Here is a link that might be useful: Florida Gardening Forum - Outdoor cutting station failing

• arch555
    9 years ago

mike:

pls send me your misting plan at apcsia5@yahoo.com.

thanks,
    archie

• AnnMedford
    9 years ago

I'd love the plans too if you are still sending them, Mike.
    Thanks!

• iliasred
    9 years ago

Hey Mike, Would you mind sending your misting system plans to me tooo??? thank-you!
    iliasdelis@yahoo.gr

• bricor63
    8 years ago

Hi Mike, sorry to be repetitive but could I also have the plans?

bricor57@gmail.com

Cheers.

• loewenzahn
    8 years ago

I have setup something very simple, even I can do this. What you need is a bed with a cover (four corrugated iron sheets and a see through roofing sheet you'll get both for free). Then you need a timer. You take care of the minimum time the timer can do, because not all timers can do times like 10 seconds some start with a minute. The timer works with batteries. At the tap you mount the timer, then either a piece of hose or a black plastic pipe for irrigation into you bed. There are misting valves, which are inexpensive and come in packs of 10. If you do cuttings you buy risers too which are little plastic tubes. All what you do is you push the risers into the polypipe and mount the sprinkler on top of it. Before you do that you get some sticks and thin wire. I place the sticks in the beds were I want the sprinkles and fix the polypipe to it. If the risers are a bit crooked I can fix them to the sticks. This way you can move your sprinklers around a bit. And don't forget and end cap for the polypipe.

• bricor63
    8 years ago

I am in UK, can anyone recommend a timer that goes to 10 secs. Thanks for your input

• loewenzahn
    8 years ago

there is a UK blog which is called ruralgardener there I copied my setup.

• rangerfan558
    8 years ago

I could use the plans, please. richmaple@gmail.com

• Rebecca Marion
    8 years ago

Hi Mike, if you are still sending plans for your misting system, could you please send me a copy? rfmarion@gmail.com thanks!

• tete_a_tete
    7 years ago

Good link, love_the_yard. Thank you for posting it.

• tete_a_tete
    7 years ago

love_the_yard, is that your set-up, by any chance? It's really great.

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    7 years ago

No, it belongs to Fawnridge (Ricky). I agree - it is great! I plan to copy it with a few minor changes (PVC table and a battery-operated timer/controller).

Sponsored
Landscape Concepts of Fairfax, Inc.
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
Northern VA's Creative Team of Landscape Designers & Horticulturists