Return to the Plant Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rooting Corkscrew Willow Cuttings Help

Posted by Grancru z5 MI (My Page) on
Wed, Dec 28, 05 at 18:57

Can anyone offer an easy way to root corkscrew willow cuttings.
Also, can dormant cuttings be used? I live in Michigan and would like to start some now if possible.

Thank you in advance.

Grancru

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rooting Corkscrew Willow Cuttings Help

I think you are going to need some heat for those cuttings. I just cut them and stick them, and they root easily. But I am in zone 9, and it is warm here.

You could stick them in a bucket of sand and hide them behind the sofa maybe, close to a source of heat. I am just remembering when I lived close to Marquette. I was young then, and we all know the young can do anything. How do you normally root things in the winter there?

Janie

o

Thanks Janie,
I'm going to try those small peat pellets and moist sand to see what has better results.

Grancru

o

Would it help if I send you some cuttings that are not dormant?

I have a huge corkscrew willow tree. It is not dormant, and probably will not be, at least not for long.

Janie

o

Put cuttings in water vase inside and they will root.

o

I know this is a dumb question, but I want to make sure I do this right. I would like to start a few willows from cuttings in my large, wet back yard. When I take my cutting, I stick the end opposite the cutting in the ground, correct? For some reason its not clear to me which end to stick! Since I have plenty of water in spring, is using the commercial method not worth the extra effort? thanks for the help!

Kevin

o

The best way to tell you is to stick the end nearest or toward the root's of the tree in the ground ,or medium .When I take a lot of cutting's to keep from losing my place "that's funny lol"I cut the bottom of my cutting square and the top I cut on a slant ,that way you can keep up.We don't want a upside down tree now do we ,hope this help's . JOHN

o

The name for this is polarity.
Like the north pole and the south pole. If you put the wrong end into the media , it will not root. But them willows are so easy to root, they jest may make a liar out of me.
Thanx for listening and keep 'em plants growin'
Lois

o

Take about a 4-6" cutting of 1 year old growth, make a diagonal cut on one end so you remember which end is the bottom and which is the top. ie polarity, like flytrp8e stated. Use a bit of rooting hormone and stick it into a grow pot. I did this method in my plant prop. class, worked brilliantly!

o

It roots for me in water, any time of year. I've even cut some in December, stuck them in a watering can with holly for Christmas decorations outside and obtained roots. I know the roots in water are not exactly the same as roots in soil, but transplant them into soil when they are just an inch or two long - I've never lost even one.

o
And: Rooting Corkscrew Willow Cuttings Help

It roots for me in water, any time of year. I've even cut some in December, stuck them in a watering can with holly for Christmas decorations outside and obtained roots. I know the roots in water are not exactly the same as roots in soil, but transplant them into soil when they are just an inch or two long - I've never lost even one.

o

I just put my Corkscrew Willow cuttings in water. I keep a gallon jug of cuttings going at all times even if I don't use the cuttings. I do use the water however. Willow water aids other plants to root. I take a turkey baster and pull out water from the jug and water my other cuttings with it. Sounds weird I know but the silicin in the water helps the cuttings root. I refill the jug every few days to replenish my supply. Willow has been used for many different uses the most common being toward the end of the 19th century, The Bayer Company in Germany trademarked a stable form of acetylsalicylic acid, calling it "aspirin,"

Hope ya good luck,
David

Here is a link that might be useful: Willow water explained

o

Hello all... anyone have clippings to possibly share?
Thanks
CJ
clutedad@nc.rr.com

o

I rooted mine in water. They got great roots and new leaves but a few weeks after putting them in potting soil the leaves began to wither even though I had kept the plant watered. When I took them out of the soil after the leaves dried up there were no roots. Any suggestions.

o

gardengirl-2

I don't know the science behind it but if you root in water when you go to soil you need to keep the soil very soggy at first (i.e. just watering isn't going to work). Also helps if the cuttings are very well rooted. Found this out by trial and error.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plant Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here