Return to the Plant Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Oak Propagation

Posted by treeguy123 7a North AL (My Page) on
Fri, Dec 15, 06 at 19:33

What is the best way to propagate oaks cuttings in the red oak family besides acorns so I can save their genetics. Air layering? Grafting? etc. I want to propagate cuttings from Southern Red Oak (Quercus falcata) and Water Oak (Quercus nigra).

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Oak Propagation

I found this online maybe this will help you. Description: Southern red oak and water oak, needed in studies of fusiform rust of southern pines, were propagated from cuttings of rooted stump sprouts and mature tree branches placed in outdoor propagation beds in June. Root strike and root development were increased when cuttings with basal wounds were treated with both the hormone IBA and the fungicide folpet. Cuttings from water oak rooted better than those from southern red oak.

o
RE: Oak Propagation

Good luck with your rooting attempts - you'll need it.
Oaks are not noted for being easy to propagate from cuttings.
The white oak group(white, bur, chinkapin, etc.) lends itself pretty well to grafting onto seedling rootstock (I use bur oak seedlings, 'cause I have them readily available), but the red/black group typically resists grafting - even onto its own seedlings, due to peroxidase enzyme incompatibilities.
I wouldn't be discounting acorns as my mode of propagation for these species.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plant Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here