Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wi_northernlight

Beginner Needs Help with Pole Bean Cuttings

wi-northernlight
16 years ago

I've never rooted cuttings other than tomato suckers.

I have some rare pole beans growing under lights. I'd like to take cuttings but I don't know where to cut. Will the bean plant put out more shoots if I cut off a tip?

Maybe there is a web site somewhere that gives instructions? I've been Googling for over an hour and have come up empty.

Any help appreciated.

Bob

wi-northernlight

Comments (2)

• nandina
    16 years ago

I doubt that most of us have had the need to root pole beans, so...I can only suggest two methods to try.

1. Fill a clear glass with water, cover the top with plastic wrap, poke a few holes in it and insert tip cuttings (cut below a leaf removing any leaves that will be below water)) through each hole to see if they will root in water.

2. Place several small pots of soil around a mother plant, bending a leader into each one covering the stems with soil and allowing the tip ends to be exposed. They may root along the buried parts of the stem and can be severed from the original plant after developing a good root system.

• little_dani
    16 years ago

I rather doubt that the pole beans are going to root for you. They are an annual, are they not? Why can't you get more seeds?

And, if you do get more seeds, why not wait until the growing season to germinate them?

I'm not trying to be rude, but why did you plant them at the end of season, instead of at the beginning of the growing season?

What kind of pole beans are these?

Janie

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County