Return to the Plant Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Beginner Needs Help with Pole Bean Cuttings

Posted by wi-northernlight 3b-WI (My Page) on
Fri, Dec 7, 07 at 19:42

I've never rooted cuttings other than tomato suckers.
I have some rare pole beans growing under lights. I'd like to take cuttings but I don't know where to cut. Will the bean plant put out more shoots if I cut off a tip?

Maybe there is a web site somewhere that gives instructions? I've been Googling for over an hour and have come up empty.

Any help appreciated.

Bob
wi-northernlight

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Beginner Needs Help with Pole Bean Cuttings

I doubt that most of us have had the need to root pole beans, so...I can only suggest two methods to try.

1. Fill a clear glass with water, cover the top with plastic wrap, poke a few holes in it and insert tip cuttings (cut below a leaf removing any leaves that will be below water)) through each hole to see if they will root in water.

2. Place several small pots of soil around a mother plant, bending a leader into each one covering the stems with soil and allowing the tip ends to be exposed. They may root along the buried parts of the stem and can be severed from the original plant after developing a good root system.

o
RE: Beginner Needs Help with Pole Bean Cuttings

I rather doubt that the pole beans are going to root for you. They are an annual, are they not? Why can't you get more seeds?

And, if you do get more seeds, why not wait until the growing season to germinate them?

I'm not trying to be rude, but why did you plant them at the end of season, instead of at the beginning of the growing season?

What kind of pole beans are these?

Janie

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plant Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here