Return to the Plant Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lemon grass propagation??

Posted by maricybele 8 (hassanz@pacifier.com) on
Sun, Dec 23, 07 at 20:52

I bought some lemon grass at the asian market. Do I trim it short then put one stalk in a big pot?

Thanks for the advice.

Lisa

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lemon grass propagation??

That should do it. I have a plant four feet by four feet that I bought 15 years ago in a four inch pot. I have moved it several times and given away a lot of starts over the years. My wife says she wants to use it in her cooking but never has, so at least I keep it available in case she ever does. Al

o

Please excuse me but your question is not clear to me.... did the lemon grass you purchased have roots on it OR was it just some cut from a plant for use in cooking... If no roots attached then use it for cooking & order some seed or get a division of someone elses plant. I Have never been able to propagate this plant from cuttings.

o

Of course George is correct. If the base of the bulb, containing the roots has been removed it will not grow. Of course lemon grass is not a bulb but an enlarged stem which is used for culinary purposes. As the enlarged portion of the stem is used in cooking, one would expect it to left intact. Al

o

You will be surprised how easy it is to grow lemon grass. I purchased a couple of lemon grass from the Asian market for $.39 each and all I did was to stick them in soil, watered and lo and behold they started growing on their own and now are bushes! These I started did not have roots- they were the ones you just buy at the market and they were not the freshest ones and yet they grew!

o

I have successfully rooted lemon grass, but I don't know how deep to plant them. Do I cover just the roots, or do you bury an inch or so of the stem?

Thanks,
Linda

o

I root lemon grass from stalks that I buy at the Asian market all the time. They do not need to have any roots and can even have part of the base cut off. As long as it has part of the base still attached it will root if you just stick it in a pot of moist soil. No rooting hormones or special treatment is necessary. Just keep the soil evenly moist.
Karyn

o

At the beginning of this summer I stuck a lemon grass stalk in a glass of water. i'd bought it at the supermarket, it had no roots and was sealed in plastic and from the chilled produce section. Once the stalk had roots, I put it in a pot - it now has 9 stalks and is about 2 1/2 feet tall. It is outside but I will move it in for winter. Thing is, I'm not sure how to pull a root up for cooking....

o

I just twist off a stalk (or more) when I need one. I only use the light/white part near the base for cooking.
Karyn

o

Greetings,
Yeap, I too do as what Karyn do. Great in chicken and mutton curry. The white part can be grated or smashed or blended....

Photobucket Image Hosting
Photobucket Image Hosting

o

I tried to grow lemon grass I bought from the Asian market but was never succesful. I will try it again and this time I will try to find one with the longest stem, not cut too close to the base. I do use a lot of lemon grass for cooking. Maybe I will add some peroxide to the water this time. Suggestions anyone?

o

Don't root it in water. Just stick it in a pot of soil. I've never had a stalk not root.

o

How deep do you plant it? Just cover the roots or deeper?

o

As long as the roots are in soil enough so the plant does not fall over it will grow. Al

o

• Posted by jolj 7b/8a-S.C.USA (My Page) on
    Sun, Feb 12, 12 at 12:34

I think Lowes sale it in a 2X2 or 4X4 inch pot.

o

I purchased my stalks at an local Asian supermarket. I told the owner I planned on growing it at home and she helped me find the appropriate stalks (7). I put them in water for 2 weeks and now have many roots and some side shoots starting. I need to know how deep to plant it now.

Trish

o

Just to be sure I understand, we can plant the stalk just an inch or so into the soil and it will grow?? Thanks!

o

How deep do you plant them in ground or in containers?

o

Plant them so that they don't fall over, but if you need an actual number, then 2-3" underground should be fine. This is assuming the size similar to the large ones you are getting at the grocery store.

And yes, just this week, I saw Lowes had some in their plant inventory also.

To use it for cooking -- either cut it above the ground, cut into the ground to get a stalk separated from the bunch, or reach in and pull it apart.

You can also use the leaves if you are making a kind of soup, but they are not as strong for the flavor. Cut the leaves, fold them a few times, then use the end of the leaves to tie it together. Throw this clump into your cooking pot for the soup.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plant Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here