Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maricybele

Lemon grass propagation??

maricybele
16 years ago

I bought some lemon grass at the asian market. Do I trim it short then put one stalk in a big pot?

Thanks for the advice.

Lisa

Comments (18)

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    16 years ago

That should do it. I have a plant four feet by four feet that I bought 15 years ago in a four inch pot. I have moved it several times and given away a lot of starts over the years. My wife says she wants to use it in her cooking but never has, so at least I keep it available in case she ever does. Al

• georgez5il
    16 years ago

Please excuse me but your question is not clear to me.... did the lemon grass you purchased have roots on it OR was it just some cut from a plant for use in cooking... If no roots attached then use it for cooking & order some seed or get a division of someone elses plant. I Have never been able to propagate this plant from cuttings.

16 years ago

Of course George is correct. If the base of the bulb, containing the roots has been removed it will not grow. Of course lemon grass is not a bulb but an enlarged stem which is used for culinary purposes. As the enlarged portion of the stem is used in cooking, one would expect it to left intact. Al

• malibu_rose
    16 years ago

You will be surprised how easy it is to grow lemon grass. I purchased a couple of lemon grass from the Asian market for $.39 each and all I did was to stick them in soil, watered and lo and behold they started growing on their own and now are bushes! These I started did not have roots- they were the ones you just buy at the market and they were not the freshest ones and yet they grew!

• linjoh
    15 years ago

I have successfully rooted lemon grass, but I don't know how deep to plant them. Do I cover just the roots, or do you bury an inch or so of the stem?

Thanks,
    Linda

• karyn1
    15 years ago

I root lemon grass from stalks that I buy at the Asian market all the time. They do not need to have any roots and can even have part of the base cut off. As long as it has part of the base still attached it will root if you just stick it in a pot of moist soil. No rooting hormones or special treatment is necessary. Just keep the soil evenly moist.
    Karyn

• keble
    15 years ago

At the beginning of this summer I stuck a lemon grass stalk in a glass of water. i'd bought it at the supermarket, it had no roots and was sealed in plastic and from the chilled produce section. Once the stalk had roots, I put it in a pot - it now has 9 stalks and is about 2 1/2 feet tall. It is outside but I will move it in for winter. Thing is, I'm not sure how to pull a root up for cooking....

• karyn1
    15 years ago

I just twist off a stalk (or more) when I need one. I only use the light/white part near the base for cooking.
    Karyn

• sankri
    15 years ago

Greetings,
    Yeap, I too do as what Karyn do. Great in chicken and mutton curry. The white part can be grated or smashed or blended....

• 11otis
    15 years ago

I tried to grow lemon grass I bought from the Asian market but was never succesful. I will try it again and this time I will try to find one with the longest stem, not cut too close to the base. I do use a lot of lemon grass for cooking. Maybe I will add some peroxide to the water this time. Suggestions anyone?

• karyn1
    15 years ago

Don't root it in water. Just stick it in a pot of soil. I've never had a stalk not root.

• chilli
    12 years ago

How deep do you plant it? Just cover the roots or deeper?

12 years ago

As long as the roots are in soil enough so the plant does not fall over it will grow. Al

• jolj
    12 years ago

I think Lowes sale it in a 2X2 or 4X4 inch pot.

• Triscel
    12 years ago

I purchased my stalks at an local Asian supermarket. I told the owner I planned on growing it at home and she helped me find the appropriate stalks (7). I put them in water for 2 weeks and now have many roots and some side shoots starting. I need to know how deep to plant it now.

Trish

• lovestogarden
    11 years ago

Just to be sure I understand, we can plant the stalk just an inch or so into the soil and it will grow?? Thanks!

• Farmington
    9 years ago

How deep do you plant them in ground or in containers?