Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jemboysch

How early in spring is it safe to sever from the mother plant?

jemboysch
12 years ago

I did some ground layering of my hydrangeas late this past summer. I would like to transplant the new plants in early to mid-spring. How early can I sever the babies from the mother plant? I am thinking of doing it as soon as I see leaf break. I will pot them up and let them get their roots established for a few weeks before transplanting them into their permanent home in the late spring. Will the roots be strong enough to support the new growth this early in the growing season? Or do I need to give them more growing time? Last year I ground layered in the early fall, dug them up in late spring and left them in a pot for the entire summer in a bright but shaded area. I planted them in the ground in the early fall. Everything worked well but I'd like to hasten the process this year. Opinions?

I'd also like to start a new crop of babies in the late spring to transplant in the fall. Thoughts on this as well?

Thank you, Jm

Comments (6)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    12 years ago

hmmmm.. how many do you have... wouldnt it be best to try multiple options.. and discover for yourself which works best ....

on the one hand.. i speculate.. that doing it as early as possible ... to give whatever roots there are.. time to settle in .... before the stress of leaf push .... [presuming there is a good amount of roots] .... i would argue .. that severely stressing the root system.. right at or after leaf push.. may just be too much ... [e.g. i transplant trees/conifers.. as soon as the ground thaws .. giving them 4 to 6 weeks to start root processes .. before leaf push ...]

in the alternative... it may get needed resources from momma... at a most opportune time ... and allowing full maturation of leaf development.. might be in your favor..

how much root system is there???

i await the thoughts of others with direct knowledge ...

ken

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    12 years ago

I think...

As long as there is a decent amount of roots already, you could sever the link now, but I'd bet that you would get best results if you severed the link in early spring after leaf-out. The high shoot/root ratio (as long as the foliage/root ratio is not too high) and the active growing season should result in rapid root development to make up for any lost nutrients provided by the link. This is really a very similar situation to when is the best time to transplant a tree (except with a few of the variables changed).

• jemboysch
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Ken, I assume there will be sufficient roots as they have had the fall and winter to establish. But I think I will heed Brandon's advice and wait until after leaf out to avoid over stressing the babies. I do have a fair amount of potentials and could experiment with some, but don't want to lose any. I love participating in this process. Thanks for the advice!
    Jm

• hummersteve
    12 years ago

I dont know how much quicker you are referring to. Last year I layered a honeysuckle vine in late summer and after 2months time severed it from the mother plant. I was ok with the roots it had but wouldnt want to sever it any sooner. Layering in early spring the ground wont be warm enough for the root system to develop very fast.

• hummersteve
    12 years ago

I would say if after checking the root system waiting for some new growth would be beneficial. From there I would just follow my instincts.

• jemboysch
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I am not trying to do something in less than 2 months. I layered in August/September 2011 and will be severing from the mother in late March or April 2012. I've decided to not sever them before leaf break but right after and then give them a week or two before moving them to their pots. The second part of my question was; I will try layering some new growth in the spring to transplant in the fall - 3 months later. I'd really like thoughts on this. Anyone have experience with this? Will they have enough time to root?

Sponsored
M&Z Home Services LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Established Home Remodeling Expert Since 2012