Return to the Plant Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rooting Chamaecyparis nootkatensis cuttings

Posted by mrgpag swOH-Z5/6 (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 12, 06 at 22:16

Dirr says in his propagation manual this plant is difficult and recommends a high % hormone and late winter/early spring cuttings. Any thought on this?

I want to root 'Pendula' in a heated greenhouse on a mist table with under the bench heat.

Thanks for any suggestions/comments
Marshall

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rooting Chamaecyparis nootkatensis cuttings

I have had luck taking cuttings Sept thru April. I applied 0.8% IBA. stuck in well drained soil. I kept the soil moist BUT no misting. sometimes I use bottom heat other times I set under a bench & just keep soil damp. rooting time 2-3 months.

o

Thanks George

I'm curious - was there any particular reason why you didn't mist? I've done as you say for thuja occidentalis and taxus, but have always had chamaecyparis on a mist table for rooting. However, I'm still learning the finer aspects of this type of propagation so I ask questions from time to time.
Thanks
Marshall

o

Marshall, I have rooted the weeping cedar with .3% IBA in moist shaded sand outdoors BUT!!! It took well over 12 months. Mike

o

Thanks Mike -

I think I'm going to go ahead using a mist table and root in either a sand:peat or a Perlite:peat mix. I have a number of different hormones available and might try several of them. Lawsoniana and pisifera have all rooted well for me using this method.

o

Where do you get the different hormones with different strength of IBA?

o

Google Worm's Way

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plant Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here