Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
forestelves

How would propagate a new Lemon, Orange, and Tangelo Tree?

forestelves
14 years ago

The main plants have branch that's growing to long and I would like to make a new tree out of them.

What method would you use? Branches range from 1/2 inch to 1 and 1/2 inches and they are woody/new green growth to woody with some new green growth cracks.

They grow in pots else they will die in the winter so I have to move them inside and I don't want to cut the branches I would like to make some new trees and use them to trade on-line or sell them.

Comments (5)

• yiorges-z5il
    14 years ago

Take tip cuttings of firm new growth. apply 0.1% IBA (Rooting hormone) stick in well drained soil & mist .. bottom heat may be helpful. will take 25-50 days to root.

• little_dani
    14 years ago

Only the lemon will root from cuttings. An orange tree will grow from seed, but you have a 50-50 chance that it will be a good orange. I don't know about the tangelo. Is this a tree that has all these fruit grafted on it?

Janie

• karyn1
    14 years ago

I take cuttings of firm new growth in the spring and summer. I strip the bottom foliage and cut the large upper leaves in half. I don't bother with rooting hormones. I just stick the cuttings into moist soil 2-3 inches down. Place the pot in a baggie, seal it and set it somewhere warm and shady. I have roots in 4-6 weeks. I'll open the bag occasionally to allow air in and pick up any dropped leaves that might mold.

• Suzi AKA DesertDance So CA Zone 9b
    14 years ago

Last Summer, I had one of those long branches, and I pruned it, cut all but one leaf off the top, and cut that leaf in half. I stuck it rooting hormone, and then in the ground in a shady spot, and this morning, 4 months later, just noticed it has no new leaves, but the original half leaf is as green as ever, so I'm assuming this spring it will grow. I'm not even sure if it's a lime, lemon, orange, or grapefruit, but I suspect lime or grapefruit because those are my most vigorous citrus.

If it does show growth, I'll pot it up and put it on the drip system. Aside from that, I stole some olive cuttings from a local golf course, treated them the same, and I absolutely have 2 little olive trees with many branches and leaves. I did the same with a couple wine grape vines, and I have a vigorously growing baby Mourvedre and a Cabernet vine for free!!

Isn't this fun?

• ladybug2u2
    14 years ago

It's not true that only lemons will root. I have many cuttings that I just potted out of pummelo, grapefruit, mandarins, limes, sweet oranges, calamondin, and Buddha's Hand. I did a tray of 39 and only lost 6 and that was due to the poor condition of the stock that the cuttings were taken from. All citrus root fairly easy. The problem is that some don't like to grow on rooted cuttings for a length of time. The ones that don't do as well on rooted cuttings, I root them anyway and use them for budwood to graft later on when they reach a good size.

I use a recycled nursery tray. Fill it will a good potting soil with perlite in it. Make sure the media is wet but not soggy. Prepare your cuttings by taking at least 4 nodes. Strip two leaves off and cut the other two in half. Dip in a good rooting hormone and using a pencil, poke a hole in the media to receive the cutting. Do not push the cutting all the way to the bottom of the cup. Insert the cutting and firm the soil around the base. Finish all your cuttings the same way. Put some stakes in each corner of the tray. (I use two U-shaped bamboo stakes) and then slip a large clear garbage bag over the tray and tie it closed. Place near a warm bright window (or greenhouse if you have one) and try not to open it for about 4 weeks. I open mine about the fifth week. Give a tiny tug on a couple of cuttings. If there is any resistance, they are rooted. Now is the time to pot them out. If not rooted, give them about two more weeks.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH