Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
angelfairy_gw

An Idea To Improve This Forum

angelfairy
17 years ago

How about putting a 'P'(positive) or an 'N'(negative) in front of the member name in order to cut through the chase to find the good from the bad? Ex: P-AngelFairy

Comments (12)

• luvsgrtdanes
    17 years ago

Not a bad idea.

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    17 years ago

Or like

N-Jane Doe

Do you mean we each change the subject of posting line when we add to the reviews? Unlikely that would get done, seeing that some posts don't contain names, and that there are multiple names in some 'good group posts' and in some 'bad group posts'.

Say you have a "N" post for a trader, and I have an 'P' post for the same person.

I have seen a few that there are mixed opinions of..so think a post started with an 'N' in the Subject line, may be unfair...particularly if the member was newer, and still learning to collect and dry seeds, package seeds, or digging and packaging plants.

Chances are, that I will read most, if not all reviews for any one person b4 trading, due to a possibility of mixed reviews.

I can remember when I was new, and was not so good at packaging...or trading...and fear I may have sent disappointing trades, but no one said anything, maybe just overlooking a bit because I was a newbie (at trading).

Sue

• webkat5
    17 years ago

Or we could put the word "negative" within our posting if our experience was such....

That way, we could search for that term and get multiple results to check....

• duane456
    17 years ago

This is for all the newbies out there----When I was a newbie I would let everyone know I was trading with, I was a newbie. I ask them to bear with me if things didn't go right. And--to make sure the person I traded with gives me feedback about how to make the trade better. Communication is the key for all you newbies out there.
    Duane

• karyn1
    17 years ago

Sue and Duane made some good points. When I made my first couple trades I made sure the people I was trading with know that I was a newbie. I probably annoyed them asking how many seeds I should send, etc. I felt terrible after my first trade because the person I traded with, Rachel (I don't rememeber her username) was so incredibly generous with me. I contacted her asking if I could send something more because she sent so much and I was afraid that she might have felt shorted. She was very gracious in her response and said that all was fine but I've learned along the way and think that people have been satisfied with what they've received from me. At least I haven't read anything negative. lol
    Karyn

• webkat5
    17 years ago

You know, I think the majority of the "negatives" that get placed on this forum are going to be those traders who "stiff" the other trader.

• diene
    17 years ago

I think that anyone who makes an honest effort to send something they think is worthwhile should be considered a "good trader". In the interest of fairness, unless someone does not respond in a timely fashion either shipping or with a legitimate explanation for a delay and provides at least a minimum of the required amount, there should be no reason for a complaint. I know I have sometimes sent less than I would have liked, mostly because the plants looked less substantial when removed from the ground or a few times I damaged plants when digging them up. Were my intentions good? Yes.
    I have also received some meager packages from traders when I have sent large quantities. To me it about getting to know people from around the country and before the new laws, internationally. I have a lilac tree that was sent to me seven years ago from a trader in France. I do not remember what I sent him but I know we were both pleased with our trades. The lilac is still too small to produce flowers and it is supposed to be red so I am waiting patiently for that day.
    Once again, my two cents. diene

• ralder
    17 years ago

How about:

"+" for positive rating
    "-" for negative

Would look like:

+ Membername
    - Membername

• kilngod
    17 years ago

Since the Membername is the title of the whole thread, it wouldn't be effective to have a thread started with "+ SoAndSo"... because this doesn't tell you whether there is a negative review from someone else down the thread somewhere.

If we were to change this in the title of each individual post, it might make it easier to scan. Maybe to use a standard word of either Positive, Neutral, Negative (like on ebay)...in the title instead of a + or -, since that's only 2 options.

Either way, it's very important to really read these posts. If there are lots of reviews...just reading the one negative doesn't give you a picture of "are they a good trader". Maybe they're a great trader and had a bad week. Or maybe they're a hit-and-miss trader who has some very good weeks and bad ones. Or maybe they've stiffed a whole lot of people...

I have to admit I'm less interested in just a catagory word...more interested in "why". Then we look at the larger picture and can make an informed decision on whether to trade.

• littleonefb
    17 years ago

I agree with kingod. The whole picture is important. A pattern of problems with a trader is a far different picture than a trader who says they didn't get their seeds and lots of others post that there where no problems with this trader.

Things do happen. Seeds do get lost in the mail, and the trader that sent the seeds has none of them left to replace those that weren't received.
    Now the trader who didn't get the seeds could be telling the truth and maybe not.
    On the other hand, if lots of people post that the trader is a good trader and have had no problems, then I would say that the trader who didn't get their end of the trade is only 1 and that does happen.

On the other hand, if other's post that same or similar thing happened to them, well there is a problem with this trader.

I do wish that people would do a search before posting a traders name to see if there is one already started. There are several threads going with the same name.
    Also it should be one name per post.

Fran

• columbusgardener
    17 years ago

there should be no notation other than the GW name and then the comments posted should be regarding YOUR trade with them. No one needs to add comments about about other peoples postings in the thread - just stick to your own trade with them (and I would encourage honesty no matter how blunt it may be) that way others can evaluate the sum of the trades. Another issue is when did you trade with them - recently or 5 years ago? People change and they come and go on the web -

the other problem are those posts with a hundred names - to much to try and comprehend.

only my 2 cents

• joy_garden
    16 years ago

I agree with kinggod, and I think is better just the name and then members can post about their trade, I like to read about the member, and I also agree with columbusgardener all postings should be in recent trades not months or years ago

Sponsored