Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webkat5

Is everyone checking to see if a thread has already been started?

webkat5
17 years ago

Many members are ending up with two or three threads...this is going to get pretty messy....

There is a search box near the bottom of the main R & R forum...type the member's name (exactly) into the box and search to see if they are already on there before you list a new thread for them.

As new as this forum is, in a year's time, it will be so messy (members with 10 different threads, etc...) that it won't be effective.

If we all try to follow the instructions, it will still be great!

Just my two cents!

Comments (12)

• beth_b_kodiak
    17 years ago

Hey Kat that is exactly what I came over here to post :o)
    I'm betting that the message will need to be repeated every so often but you are exactly right. People would be better off posting additional comments on tha original threadto keep the information accessable.
    Beth B

• hummingbirddaisy
    17 years ago

I have posted 2 names that already had posts on them. I tried the search box, but it gave me zero matches that night.
    I just tried it and it worked just fine.
    Must have been a glictch that night or something.

Thanks for the reminder
    Tina

• luvsgrtdanes
    17 years ago

Great advice!!

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    17 years ago

I was surfing through them today and noticed one member name that came up 3 different times...all spelled the exact same way.

I think part of the problem might be with the 2 different search boxes. If one is told to do a search in the box found at the bottom of the page, they will get all posts for that member on ALL forums.

Now as most of us veterans know, if one does a search in the search box found just below the list of 'threads' then the search can be narrowed to just searching the Rate and Review Forum.

Possibly we should start a Suggestion (and crusade) to have to search box put up at the top of the page and it be just specifically for search results on the Review Forum.

There is a search box at the top at the Pond Forum that will yield only the results for that forum. There is also one at the very bottom of the page which will yield posts for the whole site...very confusing.

There was a suggestion about this b4 the Suggestion Box was emptied at the old Suggestion and 'comment' Forum.

I agree...it is gonna be a real mess in time.

Maybe it would help if when any of us see a second thread started for the same member, we post a link to the second one of them and maybe request that future posts be made to the thread that was started first....or you know what I mean...don't ya?
    I hesitate to do anything myself, as I don't want to appear as any more of a busy body than I already have...lol

Sue

Here is a link that might be useful: Ponds and Aquatic Plants Forum

17 years ago

Please check it in a bit and see if it is OK, confusing, or if it can be improved upon.

17 years ago

I made the suggestion...please take a look-see, and see what you think.

Thanks!

Here is a link that might be useful: Only One Search Box and placement

• pitimpinai
    17 years ago

Yeah. 3 different threads. It would have been nicer to just add comments to the existing thread. Less mess as Webkat said. :-(

• webkat5
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Now see....how does this happen??

I can understand if the member name is mispelled, or something and it doesn't come up in search (wish they would loosen that up a bit), but two posts for the exact same trader who don't have any responses to either of them yet (think the real thread is out there somewhere)...and they are right on top of each other...at the top of the page, even. How do you miss that? Hmmmmm....they are spelled differently, but still.

So far, I predict this to be a big mess in a year. :o( boo-hoo....

• joy_garden
    16 years ago

sorry I think I did that twice because I didn't read instructions

• mrs_seeders_husband
    16 years ago

I am also guilty of it. I apologize and will not start new treads in the future if someone is already listed.

16 years ago

Thought I'd bump this up...seems a lot of folks aren't doing a search. One member has about 10 different threads...but I guess it really doesn't make a lot of difference...they are all great reviews.

Still it would be nice to have kept them all to one or two threads.

Sue...promoting the Rate and Review forum at every chance.

16 years ago

and bumping this again. The search feature was 'down' for quite a while there, but it appears to be up and running now and finding everything.

Woohoo!

Sue

Sponsored