Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
soilent_green

Feedback Ratios

soilent_green
11 years ago

So what do people think the ratio is between positive feedback posts as compared to actual trades transacted?

For my case, I looked back at my records and ran the numbers. The ratio is approximately 1 to 3, meaning that for every person who posts positive feedback of me three people do not bother to do so. This is even when, as a general policy of mine, I tell them in our correspondence that if all goes well I will post positive feedback and request they do same for me. I also ask to be given a chance to correct a problem if someone is unsatisfied for some reason, before they post negative feedback (happy to say this scenario has yet to occur). Usually my last email with people is me telling them that I received their package in good condition and letting them know that I left positive feedback for them (as a last hint for them to kindly do so for me). Obviously this strategy does not work that well.

This is not a big issue to me, although I have given out far more feedback than I have ever received. The point I want to make is that I believe an assumption can be made: When I check a person's feedback prior to a trade and they have say two or three positive comments, I feel I can correctly assume they have actually completed quite a few more satisfactory trades than the feedback indicates. This increases my comfort level when considering engaging in a trade with somebody.

Now that I have accumulated a decent record of positive feedback, I have been considering changing my policy. My new policy would be simply that if you want positive feedback you have to give me positive feedback first. The underlying negative tone of this bothers me, though. Maybe this would be for people who have little or no feedback, and my old policy would be for experienced traders. Maybe I am over-thinking the entire issue. As I said, this is no big deal to me, but I do admit that it would be nice if more folks would reciprocate. I would like to find a friendly way of getting more people to do so, without hounding them.

I think negative feedback is different in that it is a more accurate representation of reality. People who get treated unfairly (or BELIEVE they got treated unfairly) are much more inclined to post negative feedback of a person because it is the only easy way to get back at them. I am sure many people post negatives in good conscience as a way to warn others as well. Personally, if I can stop someone else from getting screwed I will not hesitate to put out a warning.

Any thoughts?
-Tom

Comments (2)

• littleonefb
    11 years ago

Tom, I've been on GW and the seed exchange for 10 years now, so that's both before and after there was a rate and review forum.

I too have done way more trades and BEAP offers than I've received reviews for and I know I've posted way more reviews than I've received.

It really is up to the individual trader whether they want to post a review and I don't think it is something that you can push people to do or not do.

Most times, when I have done BEAP offers, ask the member to please let me know when they receive the seeds, and most times they do. Then I respond with a thank you for letting me know that they got the seeds, and if there where no problems with the BEAP offer, I let them know that I will leave positive feedback for them.

I'm not comfortable with asking someone to leave feedback for me. I just believe that it should be up to the individual.

I do make it clear on my trade page with my rules that I only send seeds in bubble envelopes, whether it be for trades or BEAP offers, and if I receive seeds in a trade in anything but a bubble envelope I will post negative reviews for them on the rate and review forum.

It's hard to post negative review for someone that is new and sending for a BEAP offer, which is why I make things as clear as humanly possible with a BEAP offer.

One thing though, I think is a problem is the wording for the rate and review forum rules.

It states

"This forum was created to rate and review exchanges and trades with other GardenWeb members"

That essentially says that it's for trades not BEAP offers, so if a member has responded to a BEAP offer, then they may think that they shouldn't be posting on the R&R forum because it wasn't a trade.

I personally think they should be and I also post on a new member that has responded to a BEAP offer with positive reviews when it should be.

Many times, I will be the one starting a new thread for a new member with my BEAP offer, and to me, having been around for 10 years, a member who responds quickly to a BEAP offer, follows all of the directions and sends everything that is required, is off to a good start in future trades and I think that is important for other members to know.

I too am not afraid to post negative reviews when deserving. It should be made public to all members when there is a problem.

It would be nice to see more members, more traders posting on the R&R forum but I really don't see how one can do that and not hound them.
    The friendly reminder that you have left positive feedback for them is about all you can do, at least in my opinion.

Fran

• jensyen ( z7 MD )
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

This is an old post, yet it rings true today. A little common courtesy would be expected here, especially since seed trading etc. is done with hopefully kind intentions. I know that the Rate & Review Exchange is difficult to get to so I think I might start putting a link in my trade emails to help others get to it easily.

A sticky post or Related forums link would be beneficial but that must be done by a web technician. I requested it and no one has done it. Maybe if others wrote a request it might be made more accessible. Email/ Submit a request & click 'email us'

Here is link to post your trade reviews : Rate & Review Exchange

Sponsored