Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dorisl_gw

thinking outloud,

dorisl
16 years ago

what would you think if you got an email from somebody who said they are such and such on gardenweb, but the email addy doesnt match the profile of such and such?

Comments (13)

• barleychown
    16 years ago

I would be a little suspicious, and try to check farther. Is there feedback for that GW name?

You could always send an email to the email on their GW profile, just to see what kind of response you get.

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    16 years ago

Hi Doris,

Is it by any chance the member you emailed me about earlier?

A lot of folks have an email addy that matches their member name, but there are also a lot who don't.

Us 3, just happen to have matching.

Maybe I am not understanding though. Are you saying that the email addy you 'see' for them here at GW is not whet they are emailing you from? I have that happen a good bit too. I think it often is just that lots of folks have and use numerous email addys. I never have though. I have a hard time just keeping one straight...lol

Sue

• dorisl
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Yes, Sue, it is. Im suspicious that somebody is "posing" a member with good standing and is really somebody else.

• luvsgrtdanes
    16 years ago

What an awful sneaky thing to do!!! How do people get so desperate for seeds or plants for Pete's Sake!!! I think if you can find out there "Real GW Name" you should post what they did so they can't once again do it to someone else...

• dorisl
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thats a good idea Ronnie, I dont know if there is a way to search GW for a email addy tho. there was no post on the board, I just received an email.

The email I received did match the "personality" of the member it was purporting to be either.

• remy_gw
    16 years ago

Doris,
    You could post to a post by the member. I've done it before. Like post to a recent thread they started and say something like "Sorry to post here, but I got an email from you, and I accidentally deleted it. Could you send me another email?"
    That way the response would go directly to the email on their page and the reply would come from that email. Chances are a scammer would not see the message or if they did, they would not try to reply knowing the real person would respond even with a "I never emailed you" email.
    Of course it could be the real person as Sue said some people have more than one email account.
    Remy

• dorisl
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thats a good idea, too, Remy. I hadnt thought of that. I feel bad being suspicious, as everyone Ive met here has been so nice to me.

:)

• agirlsgirl
    16 years ago

Doris,dont feel bad. I dont like to suspect people either but you do have to watch yourself with some! Remy's idea will more than likely be effective. More than likey all is fine,but when something hits your gut like that, it is best to follow your instinct! Good Luck and I hope this person is legit!:)

• dorisl
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Its all kewl now, I got everything straightened out. Its embarrassing to get all weird like that. Thanks you guys for helping me out!

I got to turn the "banker mode" off when I get home.

• remy_gw
    16 years ago

Doris,
    Don't worry about it! If you feel weird about something, best to be safe. Nice does not equal good morals,lol. My father always told me "don't trust the shirt on your back, and it's the closest thing to you." : )
    I'm glad you got everything straightened out,
    Remy

• agirlsgirl
    16 years ago

Thats great Doris! I agree,it is better to be safe,than sorry! And,besides, thats what we are here for!:)
    So glad it turned out well!:)

• luvsgrtdanes
    16 years ago

I was thinking about this and I know I have gotten quite a few emails from great traders with a lot of different email addies. I think some are at work or just different accounts. If they are initiating a trade don't feel bad about asking them about it...Just let them know you are being cautious. If they are for real they will understand..If not you probably won't here back!!

• medontdo
    15 years ago

that's good ya got everything straightenend out!! i'm always asking ann or angie,if i'm suspicious of someone, hey is this person ok, if theyre not sure, i ask sue!! LOL cuz as we all know, sue knows all!!! LOL (bug hugs) LOL remy i like your dads saying How smart was he!!