Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kilngod

Rerouting duplicate Rating threads

kilngod
17 years ago

Hi All,

I've been doing this and notice others are too. I'm pasting my new standardized posting so that I don't have to keep typing it...and so you can use it too (feel free to modify).

I'm including links to the member's original Rating Thread, and also instructions for how to do a search. Chemocurl, I noticed your rerouting posts sound less dry than mine... I'm thinking that if we add this "how to search" in addition to an original-ratings-found-here link, we might slowly be able "weed out" this duplication problem. It may be a longshot, but...

I've found that one member's rating post I had rerouted has alread gotten another new thread started again (now Ibartoo has 3)...so there are enough people who are not doing searches, and if gardenweb can't fix it maybe we can :)

The post I'm currently using is below, I know it's stiff, but I hope to keep it instructional/direct. Comments welcome, we can make a nice hybrid if we want to all us the same one:

To keep this Rating forum effective:

Please do a search for the member before starting a new thread.

*Go to the center of the page...right below the postings (not the one at the very very bottom of the page)

*Enter the name

*Check the box for "This Forum"

(so it doesn't search the whole Gardenweb site)

*Click Search.

To leave feedback for MEMBER, please go to MEMBER'S Original Rating Thread (link is below).

Thanks,

Tina

(PS. The capitals are just so I can find that MEMBER text and replace it quickly with the appropriate name.)

Comments (7)

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    17 years ago

Or maybe this

"Please post all new reviews for this (insert)member name at the link provided below".

I did notice that when one does a search that the Original thread will be the first one listed, then followed by other threads with that member name in the subject line, then followed by others that the member has started or replied to, or that is mentioned in one of the generic group reviews.

I have felt like kind of a busy body (again) referring to the original thread, but have only done it with a few...mostly folks I know or that I have traded with myself...or a few baddies joining under numerous member names.

Sue...who loves your idea!

• kilngod
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi Sue!

I'd like to think of it as "administrative tendancies" instead of busy-body-ness :)

What if we used the one you have posted as the reroute on new threads, and come up with an instructional version too (like mine, but without the reroute parts). We can post it at the top of the main page -- with a request for no responses to it. we can route anyone who wants to help with the tweeking to come to this thread here to help discuss. And for any revision, we just add a post to get the earlier one bumped down....and if anyone posts there and bumps it anyway, we just repost.

Just to keep a "Hey, read this before you post!" guide right at the top of the page :) could help lots of people, and keep things more consolidated.

Watta ya (and everyone else) think?

16 years ago

It seems that maybe the newer members are the ones not familiar with doing a search, so I posted to a few threads. Hopefully the OP will see my reply, and not be offended, but instead enlightened.

Here is what I used...but I really think lots of wording is fine...just so long as we get some rerouted sometimes.

Other great reviews for ddkcat can be found at the original review thread.

Per the instructions:
    To create the best user experience, please keep all reviews for a particular member in one thread and before posting a new thread, use the forum's search feature to see if one has already been started....at least when the search is working.

Please post new reviews to the link below to the original thread.

Then I included a link to the Original review thread for member JOHNDOE

Keeping a thread totally at the top just won't work...though hopefully 'near the top' as Remy's is will at least help some.

Regeardless of what is posted where, there will still be some members who either won't see it or read it.

bb Sue (The bb is for busybody)

• kilngod
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Sue, I think those posts are great. Nice wording to boot.

I have to admit, I've rerouted a bunch of new threads recently for my screenname, but have less steam for rerouting the others. Will keep an eye on Remys help thread and, as you said, hopefully it'll stay near the top.

It might never be perfect, but at least this forum is a great thing overall.

• remy_gw
    16 years ago

Sue,
    Lol! You've cut your name down to just bb Sue! I love you being the resident busy body : )
    Remy

16 years ago

Well, am I over the top on this? I saw a new thread started. The member (Janedoe we'll say) already had one or more threads under her name.

I did copying of the instructions thingy, and then asked that all future reviews be posted to the 'original' review thread....and provided the link.

Then I went to the 'original' one and copied and pasted the review from the new thread, that can then be deleted, or drop off at page 67 sometime in the future...whatever.

I know it might not matter too much what drops off, as the very oldest ones I'm guessing are no longer active traders, but for those that are active, I hate to see some of their reviews drop off because of them being spread over 2,3, 5, or 10 threads.

Speaking of numerous review threads, I wonder just who have the most threads started for them. Anyone?

Also...I think it best to direct them to the 'original' thread unless the name is mispelled (as Remy found one to be the other day) or unless the original one has a lot fewer reviews than a more recent one. Clear as mud? Thoughts?

Sue...who may be going over the top...think?

• angelady777 (Angela) - Zone 6
    15 years ago

WOW! I wish I had read this a couple months ago.... LOL.... Oooops...

I didn't even know that there was a conversation side to this forum as well. I had figured it out at the Seed Exchange, but not here until just recently. They really should make that link different and bigger so you realize it's another related forum...

Blessings,
    Angela

Sponsored