Return to the Rate & Review Exchanges Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fair trade amount for exchanging seeds

Posted by pippi21 7 (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 20, 10 at 19:47

What is considered a fair amount of seeds to put in an envelope to exchange with anybody? Seems like I read something on this website last year. Can somebody refresh my memory? I realize it could vary, according to size of the seeds.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fair trade amount for exchanging seeds

i try to have something like 35 seeds but atm i have mostly herbs/veges and my zuichinni arent dooing anything to speed there process for me

some have sent me as few as 6 seeds tho i try to make my numbers fairly known in the trade (you send out 35 of say cherry bomb peppers and get back say 6 chilitepin i dont know bout you but to me its somewhat dissapointing if there seeds have no germinatiion rate or something goes wrong what are you to do?)

ok ill hush

o

Read the FAQ (frequently asked questions on the seed exchange forum, that's likely where you read it first). A standard I use is 25 seeds; I think I got it from there.

o

There are no real 'rules' but unless mentioned otherwise, 25 seeds is the normal amount for most things.

One can list and trade their seeds in any increments that they want, so long as their trading partner knows ahead of time how many seeds are being sent.

Some folks will say" I send 1/4 or 1/8 ts for small or tiny seeds."
Well that is fine except in those cases where the seeds are like dust as is sedums, butterfly bushes, or rose moss.

Some things that are frequently traded in lesser amounts (than 25) include such things as
tomatoes-often tomato growers would much rather grow numerous varieties of tomatoes than 25 of any one kind.
Morning Glories-some of the more 'special' ones, either commercial or saved from seed, are often traded in quantities of less than 25. The Japanese morning glories produce fewer seeds than the more common ones.
Trees and shrubs-often less than 25

There are just a few examples. You can read more about quantities at Fewer than 25 seeds???

Here is the FAQ from The Winter Sowing Forum FAQ How many seeds go into a packet for a trade?

In the future, if you have questions, the best place to look for an existing answer or to ask about seed trading, is the Conversation side of The Seed Exchange. The link to Conversations is found just above the list of threads on the exchange side of the forum. To search the forum, use the search box found just below the list of threads as opposed to the box at the top of the page. That will yield search results for just The seed Exchange as opposed to all of the Garden Web Forums.

Sue

Here is a link that might be useful: Seed Exchange (off-topioc) Conversations

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rate & Review Exchanges Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here