Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
galium_gw

Pinetree Seeds

galium
17 years ago

If you haven't ordered from this company give it a try. The are based in the NE and have seeds that do well in colder climates. Service is fast, prices excellent and most of the time I get coupons with my orders.

Comments (27)

• gdionelli
    17 years ago

I also highly recommend Pinetree. You can get small amounts of each variety, which I really like. I've had excellent germination from their seeds.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pinetree Garden Seeds

• oakleif
    17 years ago

When DH and i had a garden,we got most of our seeds from Pinetree. Great place.
    oakleif

• monipsych
    17 years ago

Also will give them props. My seeds arrived within the week. And I was pleased with the reasonable prices. (Enabling me to order more seeds :))
    Monica

• limhyl
    17 years ago

Have noththing but good things to say about them. The most reasonable prices around and granted you don't get a lot of each seed but who needs to plant 1/2 acre of tomatoes? I love that most of their seeds are heirloom as well. Theresa.

• thymetogarden
    17 years ago

I once sat by a guy on a flight. He saw my gardening reading material and commented that he was a hort professor from southern AL. He always ordered from Pinetree in Maine, because he felt if it grew in Maine, it would grow where he lived! If it is good for a hort prof, it is good for me! I will order from them this year.

• Loretta NJ Z6
    17 years ago

I always buy from Pinetree. Germination has been good except for one year about two or three years ago. This year I ordered online but I never got a confirmation in my email. I called. They didn't see the order immediately, said they would check and did called me back later that day to retake my order. Also online as Super Seeds.

• zeedman Zone 5 Wisconsin
    17 years ago

Small quantities, but good prices & quick shipping. They also carry a good selection of the unusual, which makes gardening fun. My highest recommendation.

• csedgewood
    16 years ago

I ordered from Pinetree Seeds for the first time this year. Shipping was very prompt and the seeds looked exceeding healthy. Some packets weren't quite enough seeds, but some were too much, so, I guess it evens out. I don't know about the germination, since I've just planted them, but if looks could determine germination, it would be 100%. Very satisfied so far.

• marlingardener
    16 years ago

I agree--Pinetree Seeds is a good company. They have heirloom and unusual seeds, as well as many of the "standards". Their service is prompt, the shipping costs low, and the packets of seeds contain more than enough for the average home gardener. I have ordered from them the past two years, and look forward to ordering again. Try their yellow pear tomatoes--candy on a vine!

• calliope
    16 years ago

I've also ordered from them and would again. My only complaint was some stuff they said they'd ship when the climate was right in my zone. I have greenhouses and would have liked earlier shipment but couldn't get it. Also some of the garden veggies I did intend to plant directly into the soil came way later than it could have. Aside from that, and I suspect that's something built into their system the selection is good, the material is healthy and the price is right. Thumbs up.

• lisurf
    16 years ago

I have ordered from them numerous times. All the items I received from were stellar, in addition to great customer service. They also have heirloom varieties and some hard to find stuff.

• User
    16 years ago

The tops. The only seed vendor I regularly order from every year.

• mailman22
    16 years ago

I just placed an order for about 50 bucks worth of seeds. I actually placed it on Thursday, Jan 24. I have yet to recieve a confirmation of the order. That may not be so bad, but as I write this, their site seems to be down. Again, maybe not so bad a thing, but I am getting a bit concerned that they may not be top notch as far as seed companies go. I have ordered from others and won't name names, but they have always sent confirmations within a days times time. We will wait a few days and see. Keeping fingers crossed.

• marlingardener
    16 years ago

Mailman,
    I think you got caught up in the January rush. Pinetree says that they will respond to e-mails inquiring about the status of an order within 3 days, and that in January turn-around time for receiving and shipping an order is about a week. We have ordered from them, usually in December, and received our seeds promptly. We hope that you have the same good experience that we have had.

• mysteryrose
    16 years ago

They have gardening books at great prices--as well as good, fresh seed.

• daisy4655
    16 years ago

I really like dealing with Pinetree Seeds. They have very reasonable prices, ship very quickly, and great customer service--a winning combination!

• bluespanishlady
    15 years ago

I have ordered seeds from Pinetree for many years and highly recommend them.

• greggstoller_yahoo_com
    15 years ago

I ordered this year after hearing all the great reviews. It has been over 40 days, and I haven't received my seeds. Customer service has been useless and has lied about when they are sending the seeds. Sorry, but I can't say anything good right now as I am being held hostage waiting for my order. Good luck to everyone else.

• anoid1
    15 years ago

I have ordered off and on from Pinetree for the last 20 years, no problems. This year I sent an order Feb. 25, I just received it yesterday April 8. That's 43 days. I only live 45 miles from them. I am wondering if the tomatoes and peppers in the order will catch up with my other seeds ordered from Baker Creek and Solana that I ordered the same day and transplanted out to three inch pots today. Next year I will think twice about ordering anything time sensitive from Pinetree.

• gardener_sandy
    15 years ago

I ordered over a month ago and still have not received my seeds. I just checked their website and at the top of the page they now have a notice that it will be 3-4 weeks from order date before seeds get into the mail. I didn't see anything about that long a delay when I ordered. Sadly, at least one packet will arrive too late to be of use this year. I'll save them for next year but I really feel cheated.

• gardener_sandy
    15 years ago

I got my seeds a couple of days ago. They did include a nice note of apology and a $$ off coupon for future orders. I guess all seed houses are just swamped this year. It's sad that it takes a serious recession to get people into gardening.

Sandy

• brian_weber
    14 years ago

i ordered my seeds(and tubers) at beginning of april to have at beginning of may. same as i have for the last 10 years. it is may 6th and the last week has been "planting weather" here and i have no seeds. it makes me very mad. i had to cancel my potato order when i was told it would be here in june.

what's the point of having a company if you cant package and ship seeds at appropriate times. spring happens every year. i rely on what i perceive as a good company to deliver seeds when i need them. i believe them when they say two to three weeks. i ordered within that time frame.

it is sad thinking when you may need it most, you may have less to eat because you trusted a company to do right and they didn't.

the benefit of the doubt only goes so far. sure, suburban chemically treated lawns are being dug up and turned to miracle grow treated gardens and demand is high, but i was not notified until yesterday of this failure to deliver within a reasonable time frame. communication also helps.

i got my other stuff from territorial seeds on time and without pain. unfortunatley, i ordered a few more thing from pinetree that i usually order from johnnys. well, not next year.

the pain is almost unbearable as i type this instead of planting.

• hykue Zone 7 Vanc. Island
    14 years ago

I actually still haven't gotten some of my seeds, although I did get some of them. And the (admittedly silly) houseplant seeds that I ordered (on sale) had a germination rate of 0%. Now, my seed-starting capabilities may not be perfect, and sale seeds are a bit hit-or-miss, and really, who grows gloxinias or streptocarpus from seed anyway, but still, 0 out of 100 is pretty bad. And I did find that one of the packets that I did receive had fewer seeds than I wanted (I have a very large veggie garden).

I'm big on second chances, so I'll probably order from them one more time . . . besides, they're the only company that will ship to Canada that has Winterkeeper beets (which is the thing I really wanted, and still have not received). Besides, after all the bad reviews they're getting here and elsewhere this year, next year should be a snap for them, with 10% of the customers, right? Anyway, I wish I could say something good, but I can't, really.

• red_hazard
    14 years ago

My experience was not so good. I bought Hot Portugal pepper seeds from Pine Tree and Tradewinds. Planted 3 seeds per cell from both in two separate 6-packs. ALL cells from Tradewinds germinated. NONE germinated from Pine Tree. Both grown under identical conditions. However, Ichiban Eggplant seeds from PT germinated fairly well. I wanted to compare the pepper sizes since descriptions from both was somewhat different.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    13 years ago

I bought seed from Pinetree for at least 5 years. Their size packets and prices were what I needed for a small garden. But I found myself sometimes being disappointed with the plants that grew. I started to feel that maybe they were not being selective about the plants they chose the seeds from and were not keeping up the best genetic pool. I still look at what they have to offer some times, and have ordered their books and garden products, but I order seeds other places.

• User
    12 years ago

My absolute favorite seed company. They use only non-GMO seeds. I avoid ordering during their busy times (as they recommend) since they are a small company and I have never been disappointed in 15 years. I live in southern AZ and the short-season varieties from Maine work well here! Rather counter-intuitive. Their green beans and corn are superb and the lettuce and spinach mixes (plus the Malabar spinach) also do well when grown under shadecloth or burlap. I just planted herb seeds dated '2000' and many of them sprouted. It's been awhile since I had the nerve to get back out and battle the burmuda grass... sigh.

Their prices are the best on the web for a full-service seed company. Shipping fee isn't too bad.

I visited their site today and they are completely out of their rootstock raspberries and grapes which is an indication that demand is increasing and reputable companies like Pinetree will be overwhelmed with orders from now on. Downturning economies mean more people growing their own food.

• chigardenlady
    9 years ago

Last year i ordered alot from here, strawberries were small leggy the worst ive ever bought. The raspberries were great. Seed packets are small for the prices. I am considering ordering some things here this year.