Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
romando_gw

Annie's Annuals

romando
17 years ago

This is the best place in the world! I'm lucky enough to live just about 10 minutes away from this nursery, so I've never used the mail order option, but it is available to those throughout the country. Everything is in a 4" pot, which ensures that it has the best possible chance of acclimating to your situation without too much shock or trauma. A small plant will settle in much easier than a large one. Annie offers rare and hard-to-find items, and she is the Cottage Queen! I love the display beds at the nursery, and she has a fabulous catalog as well. She is who turned me on to poppies in the first place! (I'm a poppyphile) While the name of the nursery is Annie's Annuals, she offers lots of perennials as well, and prices (for the most part) are between 3-5 dollars. Some items, such as super rare impatiens, go for 10-12 dollars, but for an item you can't find anywhere else? No problem!

Amanda 'romando'

Here is a link that might be useful: Annie's Annuals

Comments (13)

• ljrmiller
    17 years ago

I love Annie's plants, which I can buy sometimes in Truckee, CA (about a 40-min. drive) or by mail order (usually easier). I kill a lot of Annie's plants, but that's NOT her fault. I just HAVE to push the envelope, hoping we'll have a warm winter...

• barbamaman
    17 years ago

Good experiences here, too, just because of her scrumptious pictures! I search for info on a plant, and it's always Annie's photos and description that sets me drooling - or not. I wish I lived close enough to buy from her!

Barb

• Mikey
    17 years ago

I've drooled over the plants on her web page for a long time but I didn't want to pay the shipping costs...... She now ships to a local nursery, Roger's Garden, and I recently purchased several plants at a very reasonable price, including one plant that I have been looking for for several years. Annie's Annuals is the best! - Mike

• msbernard
    17 years ago

I wish I lived near Annie's. Warm air - soft sea breeze etc. It is now March 1st here in Sunny Central Oregon and its 27 degrees out there with snow coming. I am dying for warm sun on my shoulders Sherry

• postum
    17 years ago

Another vote for Annie's! I love the unusual natives she packages - can't get them anywhere else. I usually get them at the Half Moon Bay nursery (which I also heartily recommend!)

• knotz
    16 years ago

I received my first ever order from Annie's today and the plants are FANTASTIC...I will definetly be ordering from her again...To me the shipping charges are fair, considering the quality of plants you receive, healthy and big.

• bloominganne
    15 years ago

I recently visited Annie's Annuals in Richmond, CA. I couldn't buy any plants because I was visiting my family from the Atlanta area but the plants were soooo healthy and there is a wide variety of annuals and perennials. Wish I lived nearby ... I will order from them in the future.

• roxy_girl
    15 years ago

I love A'sA, always nice healthy plants arrive. Wish it was close to home though...the shipping costs are killer! I'd order more if the shipping was not so high...*sigh*

• roxy_girl
    15 years ago

Well the shipping costs have finally done it for me with AA's! I placed a order for 2 plants on my wish list and this is the straw that broke the camels back!

Item# Product Name Quantity Unit Price Total
    1 Crassula corymbulosa "Red Pagoda" 1 $7.95 $7.95
    2 Phylica pubescens 'LIMITED - one per person, mail order only, please!' 1 $14.95 $14.95
    Subtotal $22.90
    Discount (20% off) -$4.58
    Shipping [FEDEX2] $27.95
    Total $46.27

The shipping cost MORE than the 2 plants I ordered! I emailed AA's and got the I hope you understand reply...well NO I DON'T UNDERSTAND why the shipping cost for "2" plants is sooooooo high...sorry but I think it's a CROCK! Needless to say this will be my last order from AA's...to bad because she carries a lot of stuff I just love.

• maifleur01
    15 years ago

Roxy girl the shipping is set by FEDEX not the nursery. Until recently when the cost of fuel went down many shipping companies UPS, FedEx etc were adding fuel surcharges. Check the fuel cost on AAA or the shippers site for cost of fuel. Remember big trucks and airplanes don't run on regular gas. You may be able to get your plants at a lower shipping rate but you should realize that when you buy a small quanity it many times costs more to ship than to buy local. This is why many people only buy at local nurseries.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    15 years ago

I am in Texas and I have now become an Annie's Annual fan. Unusual plant indeed! I always buy and look for plants locally, but when one wants something no one else has locally, I am willing to spring for shipping. Her plants were huge falling over the four inch pot and roots balls very healthy. Now I get to wait and see if they make it through Central Texas brand of hell in June, July, August, September. Last year 45 days above 100 and no rain.

• PRO
    Kaveh Maguire Garden Design
    15 years ago

Any gardener who visits the SF area really should try to make a visit to her nursery. It is one thing to visit the website but to visit the nursery and see the great demonstration gardens she has set up. The first time I went I was overwhelmed and was joking that I wanted to hide under a table and rock back and forth for a while because I wasn't used to seeing so many amazing plants all in one place.

She is a delightful individual as well. :)

• ilovegardening
    9 years ago

I've only been ordering from Annie's since last year, but I LOVE them! Their plants arrive in great shape, carefully packed, and growing like crazy. So far I've had no problems, so I have no experience with needing a replacement/refund.

I highly recommend Annie's.