Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jeanr_gw

summerstone nursery anyone?

jeanr
15 years ago

is this a good nursery to order from? in mcminnville, tn.

Comments (20)

• marlingardener
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

"McMinnville Tenn." set off the alarms. Summerstone is affiliated with Autumn Ridge Nursery in McMinnville, and Autumn Ridge has one of the worst reputations in the business. I checked Garden Watchdog and Summerstone has 2 positive reviews and 11 negative reviews in the past year. I would definitely avoid Summerstone, Autumn Ridge, or any of the other names Autumn Ridge does business under.

• imelkhunting1_aol_com
    14 years ago

Stay away they are the worst check there BBB rating.

• l29600
    12 years ago

I bought seeds & plants from summerstone nursery last month.
    when they arrived the plants were really brittle and bad looking and the shaker bottle of hummingbird seed had an expiration date of Nov. 2006. I called and was told the plants were in a dormant state and she would replace the seeds. Well I received the replacement seeds with and expiration date of Nov 2008 sticker which was placed over a previous sticker of Nov 2007. I wish I had seen this website before ordering from summerstone. I will never order from them EVER AGAIN.

• silverartemisia
    11 years ago

I ordered a rose from Summerstone Nursery about six weeks ago. I am still waiting. I emailed them asking when they will send it out but no response. I know they cashed my check. I have the feeling I got ripped off. I should have checked the ratings before I ordered.

• robinhuggles
    11 years ago

3 years ago I had recently lost my job to illness and was in remission, money was tight of course but I desperately needed to do something to take my mind off of all the stress & though its hard work I loved to garden & saw it as nurturing, constructive & therapeutic.
    For years I had wanted and tried without success to grow a flowering dogwood tree. Its what I wanted more than anything... they cost $80.00 and up at most garden centers so when I did a search on Google and found one for only 8.95 from Summerstone Nursery I was very both leery & excited but when I saw I could garden my whole yard if I spent $60 I could get 3 free plants.... I was ecstatic... now having lost my job and being ill, $60 was stretching my budget but I could not resist the idea of building a garden along with my dog wood tree so I pushed my limits and ordered 18 plants, I ordered my tree lots of flowering / showy bushes and perennials that were meant to thrive on my nurturing and make my yard beautiful forever...
    Never having delt with internet nurseries before I was admittedly quite disappointed when a bunch of sticks with roots (no protection at all...showed up, a number of them had lost the paper tag and I was forced to try to guess what was what.... I even took things to other garden centers trying to find out what was what,....but before I did anything I called the company & did exactly as instructed, I placed them in water immediately for 48 hours..... then I planted each plant that was tagged in the predetermined spot and potted the plants I was not sure of in hopes that they would bloom & let me know what was what....
    Bottom line....and sad ending was.... Out of 18 "dormant" plants sent only 5 survived... and the rest of the sticks were mostly dead not dormant....or too week to thrive.
    Out of the 5 that survived.... Only 3 were actually what I ordered & my pink dogwood tree I wanted sooooo bad turned out to be what I believe is a dogwood shrub out of place in the center of my yard hiding the best part of my garden....and I do not find it and its little cluster of "white" flowers to be pleasing in anyway and the pink crapmertle I planted in the "perfect" spot in my back yard is... an unknown shrub that gets berries and some tiny white flowers... and I have no idea if its toxic to my dogs or grandchildren.... So out of 18 plants and for $60 I got 2 Althea's that were $ 3.75 each ($ 7.50) & a Pink Spirea $ 3.75 total cost of correct living plants is $11.25.... The first complaint to the company got me a few more dead plants delivered (& I had to wait a year!!!) the excuse was they did not think fall would be advisable for my zone... ) so by then it was a year from my first order... and even though the woman seemed concerned and willing to help... I waited and waited and nothing arrived.... after that I was unable to get any help told to call other numbers....ignored, put on hold and never returned... told it was too late or they had no record of a complaint just given the run around to an extreme...and I did not need the stress...I was sick again in and out of hospital and could no longer garden anyway.

It was clear they relied on another company to do the shipping.... They just take your order and money and then leave it up to an off site place to handle things...
    My therapy garden turned into a truly sad place...I got sick again the next....

But as I looked at the ugly shrub where my dogwood was suppose to be I through about the complaint I made to the BBB and decided to check them out again...

I was happy to see we are now asked to call :

The Tennessee Division of Consumer Affairs at http://tn.gov/consumer/ or 615.741.4737.

And I did I hope you all do too!

Here is a link that might be useful: BBB/ allert to this business!

• MagnumRon
    10 years ago

BEWARE! These people will take your money and you'll have to fight to get a refund. They charged my credit card the day I placed my order, which was to be shipped in two weeks. They didn't ship and have not issued a refund. I've filed a complaint with the BBB and am now contacting Visa to dispute the charge. Do not trust these people!

• aporcarello
    9 years ago

DO NOT ORDER FROM SOMMERSTONE NURSERY, you will get SCREWED....I ordered from them and of course nothing grew and everything died, I live in Houston, TX and you can pretty much grow anything here with our weather. Sommerstone claims to have this great warranty....what a joke, and then when you try to get hold of someone there....FORGET IT!! I've called the line is ALWAYS, ALWAYS busy, regardless when you call, 1 am or 1 pm, you will never get someone on the phone, I've emailed them countless number of times, I even went so far as to send them a FAX and yet I've gotten no one to get back to me....so be WARNED if you buy from them SHAME ON YOU.....

• FlowerGarden_1
    9 years ago

TO ALL - DO NOT PURCHASE THERE ROSE BUSHES THEY WILL NOT GROW. YOU WILL HAVE TO PAY TO SEND THEM BACK IF YOU WANT THEM REPLACED. I ONLY HAVE 1 LIVING, AND ITS STUGGLING. CHEAPER TO BUY ROSE BUSHES FROM PLACES THAT HAVE LIVING GARDEN CENTER. THEN TO CONTINUE TO PAY FOR REPLACEMENTS AND DIGGING & RE-PLANTINGS, THAT GETS OLD.
    I purchased 7 verities of Rose bushes, black berry vines, humming bird vines, 2 verities of flowering bushes, walnut tree, peach tree, and was given free plants. NOTHING sprouted the first year, so I had to dig all them back up and pay to send them back......ok, the following year they sent me 5 rose bushes, black berry vines (that was dead) peach tree sprouted, walnut sprouted, nothing else has sprouted as yet. I have yet been sent the rest of what I shipped back to them. I contacted them on the results, the will not respond to any of my emails. I guess they want me to dig up again, all these plants and pay to send them back again. I paid for LIVE plants that will not grow to begin with and I have to continue to spend money on returns. This is costing me more money toward the initial costs of these dead plants, THAT I THOUGHT I WAS PURCHASEING LIVE PLANTS. AND WAS GUARANTEED TO BE LIVE PLANTS. WRONG..........
    I WILL NEVER PURCHASE ANYTHING FROM THIS PLACE AGAIN, PLEASE BE WARNED ! ! ! ! !

• njray34
    8 years ago

I'm sorry I didn't see these comments re Summerstone Nursery. Out of the 13 items I ordered, only 3 were correct. When I called about the error I was told I would have to return the plants at my expense even though it was their error. Nor was an apology offered. After a month passed and no replacement plants were received, I again called and stated since they are not replacing the plants I want a refund. I was told they do not make any refunds but they would look into the matter. Well, I'm still waiting, and waiting, and waiting. Apparently it's time for another futile phone call.

• smj555
    8 years ago

Ok, so i didn't see these before i ordered from Summerstone Nursery. What a joke!! I ordered a grafted apple tree. i really wasn't sure what to expect. It took what seemed like forever. I came home and a box was on my porch. WooHoo! opened it and was shocked. No paperwork, no thanks, no here is what you bought, nothing. You dont even know where it comes from. Nothing is on the box as well. I pulled out , 3 twigs wrapped in newspaper at the bottom with some jelly substance in it. I doubt anything is going to grow. They just put 3 twigs in the box, didnt even tie them together. NEVER NEVER BUY FROM SUMMERSTONE NURSERY!! You will just be throwing your money away... Has anyone filed a complaint with the BBB??

• Cracklin Rosey
    8 years ago

I had to have my CC company get my $ back. They never shipped. We live within 100 miles...NEVER EVER AGAIN

• almtnman62
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I did a Google search looking for a Bosc pear tree and found the Summerstone nursery site. I called and asked if they had any in stock and they said yes. I told them that me and my wife would drive up and pick it up and they said OK. We made a 3 and one half hour drive and when we got to Morrison I called and asked for directions as I didn't see it anywhere. They gave me directions which turned out to be wrong. I stopped at a business and asked them for directions and they told me it was back in Morrison in the old part of town. I still couldn't find the place and stopped at the town hall for directions. The town clerks first question to me was did I give them any money yet. I told her no that I hadnt. She said, "DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH THAT GUY AS THEY HAD BEEN GETTING COMPLAINTS FROM ALL OVER THE COUNTRY". She even called the guy up and told him what she had told me. She told me that there was NOT a Summerstone nursery in Morrison and that the guy was running a scam operation out of a hole in the wall in s building in town. She said if I gave him any money I would never get it back!

Do not do any business with Summerstone nursery. All we got out our day of dealing with them was a scenic drive to Tennessee.

I filed a complaint with the BBB and found out that my complaint was the 302 complaint filed.

• ski_dog
    8 years ago

Run from these people, my order was late and the trees were dry and brittle!! Never again!

• ekaterinamail
    7 years ago

how can I get my money back ? they never send my plants, what should I do? I paid over 70 dollars in January 2016 ...

• almtnman62
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I drove up to Morrison TN recently and wasted an entire day and tank of gas. There is NOT a Summerstone nursery there. That was confirmed to me by the town clerk. I filed a complaint with the BBB and got a phone call from the Tennessee Attorney General. They told me that they were going to investigate this scammer. You probably lost $70.

A couple of things to try getting your money back is file a complaint with the BBB. Then call the Tennessee Attorney General at 615.741.4737 and ask to speak with Carol. They are very much aware of this scam operation.

• almtnman62
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

The guy is,running that scam out of a small hole in the wall building in Morrison with nothing more than a computer. The town clerk told me that she gets calls from all over the country about him. First thing the town clerk asked me when I stopped at town hall to ask where the place was, she said "I hope you haven't gave him any money yet."

• Lauren Crosariol
    7 years ago

Everyone please dispute the charges. If you cannot contact them, you need to contact your bank or credit card company STAT!

• ekaterinamail
    7 years ago

Oh, this is not existing nursery.... O paid 70 dollars on january, and remind them many times, but at the end of all - they send me the dry stiks in May... nothing was alive.... That is horrible.... never send them money - you will get nothing....

• ekaterinamail
    7 years ago

Yes,in January 2016 I paid $79.15 for my plants and recieved ceveral one foot dry stiks in May.........

Sponsored
J.S. Brown & Co.
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars77 Reviews
Columbus Leading Full Service Design Build Firm