Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karyn1_gw

Speciality Perennials

karyn1
17 years ago

They have a great selection of some of the harder to find seeds. They were the only vendor I found that had a good selection of some of the more uncommon asclepias at reasonable prices. Delivery was very fast and everything was nicely packed.

Karyn

Comments (10)

• sheltieche
    17 years ago

That company is one of my all time favorites. I have been their customer for several years and keep returning to them every year. Very very good germination rates, excellent choices and prices are reasonable. Many rare uncommon varieties that other places will sell for much more.
    Fast service, always extra packets of seeds.

• msbernard
    17 years ago

I too am a BIG fan of Speciality Perennials. Their web pages are user friendly. I have just received my 6th or 7th order from them. They have a great selection, seeds are sent quickly and in a bubble envelope. Give them a try as they are great!

• maggie_berry
    17 years ago

What is thier web address? I searched on the name and got a dozen places! Thank you!

• highalttransplant
    17 years ago

I am thankful for this new forum. There are several great resources, such as this one, that I would not have found otherwise. They DO have a great selection, and I will definitely give them a try.

Thanks everyone for the information!!!

• karyn1
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Their web address is different from their name. Sorry I didn't think to include it in my original post.
    Karyn
    http://www.hardyplants.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=SFNT&Store_Code=SP

• highalttransplant
    16 years ago

I placed an order with them on 11/29/07 and still have not received it! I have sent two emails, and they have not responded to either one of them. Their selection was impressive, but now I'm not sure they are worth ordering from. Even if something I ordered was out of stock, they should at least notify the customer.

Disappointed,
    Bonnie

• MissMyGardens
    16 years ago

Highalttransplant, had exactly same experience as you. Placed order on 11/26/07 which was immediately charged on my credit card but no seeds or response to 2 emails to date.

Really disappointed with their performance given I ordered from them because of "dependability" and "high germination rate" cited by others on WS forum.

Now I'm going from disappointed to ticked off!

• highalttransplant
    16 years ago

Well, I reached them by phone yesterday. It was an older gentleman, and he seemed a bit disorganized, but friendly. When I gave him my order number, he said that series will be going out momentarily, whatever that means. I asked the reason for the delay, and he said that the end of year is really busy, since that is when they get their new seeds in, and then everything has to be germination tested. Hopefully, we will both be receiving our orders soon. It would be nice if they actually communicated the situation to the customers though.

Bonnie

• MissMyGardens
    16 years ago

Finally called them, left a message AND sent them copy of unfulfilled order by fax. Took another week but finally got seeds last week. That's two and a half months from order to receipt.

The Aquilegia canadensis seeds were already at their "sell by" date but they sent couple extra packets. Probably take 2 years to see if they were still viable.

C'est le vie.

Guess if you want their seeds you have to pester them.

Almost feel sorry for them because it's a classic case of not being able to fulfill orders once you start deluge with the online business. Know it's their responsibility but guess you never know if something is going on in their lives that hinders business running smoothly. One never knows how large or small an operation you're dealing with once they have a web site forgetting anyone can get a web site set up.

Before I was ticked and now I'm feeling kind of sorry for them...dang these moments of human compassion...LOL.

• tracyvine
    15 years ago

I had both a very good experience with Specialty Perennials and a somewhat frustrating one. I love the selection that they offer. They have great prices for hard to find seeds. The germination rate was excellent. I will be back to order more. They were slow to communicate on the second order. I emailed them twice to inquire about it. I didn't hear back so sent a third email informing them that if I didn't receive a reply then I would be forced to do a chargeback to my credit card. I received my seed order within a week of the last email with a cash refund and a note explaining that one of the varieties was out of stock and an apology for their slow processing/communication. I will be back but know that I may have to be dilligent on tracking my order. This is a good small business that is probably going through some growing pains. I love small businesses so am willing to ache a little as they grow up.

Tracy

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?