Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nancyofnc

rareseeds - the best OP seeds and service

nancyofnc
16 years ago

I have ordered from rareseeds, a.k.a. Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds, several times because I prefer a tasty veggie, not one hybridized so it SHIPS well but tastes like colored cardboard. Totally satisfied with timely response, pleasant phone conversations, reasonable prices, and quality of seeds, plus immediate refunds if they are out of something. Every seed grows and I can save seeds each harvest because they are all heirloom / open pollinated. I do have to isolate the tomatoes, peppers, or cukes (bag the flowers)I want to save because they will cross pollinate with other varieties I am growing nearby so saved seeds will not be the same pure seed next year (if not isolated I'd be saving backyard hybrids). But even if you don't save seeds but buy them every year, this is the place for wonderfully flavorful veggies.

The owner is committed to ONLY selling OP's. All the descriptions say they are "rare" and while true on the worldwide view, the word itself becomes trite. What is included is the history, which I find amazing - see me imagining families passing down seeds for a hundred years.

They have little in the way of growing methods, but that can be found anywhere on the web and that info will be more specific for your zone so is understandable why it's not printed. The owner travels the world looking for native veggies and fruits and offers seeds you would never see on a seed rack. The selection of squash alone is overwhelming!

There are few flower seeds offered, simply because that part of agriculture has been hybridized a hundred thousand times, leaving few true heirlooms. (as a side note - If you want sweet peas though - they have 23 varieties!) I think the owner wants to make sure that it doesn't totally happen that only hybridized veggies would be available and does his part in getting heirloom seeds in back yard gardens. The flavor of heirloom tomatoes cannot be described when compared to pink cardboard tomatoes in the grocery store.

I highly recommend this company.

Nancy the nancedar

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor