Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ilovegardening_gw

Richard Owens Nursery/ExcitingGardens.com

ilovegardening
14 years ago

I'd never heard of this company until today when a catalog arrived in the mail. Wow, did its offerings look great! There were at least 50 different plants that I was interested in buying. And then I thought I should do a little research before plunging in.

My first, and only!, stop was GardenWeb. A quick search raised red flags--it appears that "Exciting Gardens" is just another name that Burgess operates under...but with the same poor results.

Still, though, I'd like to ask for personal experiences. Has anyone dealt with them? What was your experience like?

Comments (13)

• lpeerson_aol_com
    12 years ago

The worst experience EVER. Plants arrived moldy and dead. Could not get refund, only replacements. Same thing happened again! Packaged in plastic and shipped in plastic bags. Pitiful. I plan to write the consumer bureau in their state. Do not order from this company or you will be very disapointed.

• Judy1813
    11 years ago

Absolute worst experience of on line ordering. It took 8 wks to get plants and altho I tried to cancel twice they told me the order was in shipping both times! Still took two more weeks before anything. Who wants to plant asparagus on June 20th. Stay away from this place and all the other names this company goes by. Burgess & Richard
    Owens are a couple of them.

• maple_grove_gw
    11 years ago

See my thread just a few down on "Kelly nurseries". These are some of the many aliases of the company, "Direct Gardening". Let me ask you this, if a company had satisfied customers, why would they need nine different aliases?

Beware of the following, they are all the same nursery:

Burgess Seed & Plant Co., Four Seasons Nursery, Richard Owen Nursery, Farmer Seed & Nursery, Inter-State Nurseries, Kelly Nurseries,Royal Dutch, Honeycreek Nurseries, House of Wesley.

In brief, my experience matches those described above. Plants were received dead and covered in mold. Nursery refused to refund but offered to replace. Replacement plants were also dead and covered in mold. When I called them again, they stated that having replaced the plants once, they had fulfilled their policy and that's all they would do.

Hence the title of my thread 'Kelly Nurseries is a scam'

• gardengirl1980
    11 years ago

I had an awful time with them too. Maybe my situation was a fluke, but after looking at other people's similar reports, I don't think it is. Here's what happened: I ordered $134 worth of plants and seeds in early September, 2012 and my credit card was immediately charged on the 11th of September. Two weeks later, I emailed asking for a status as I had heard nothing. They emailed back stating that the orders were about to go out and I should have mine soon.

I still had nothing by 10/18/12 and so emailed again to cancel the order. (these are garden plants and it was starting to frost, so I didn�t want to try and get them in the ground) They told me on 10/23/12 that I couldn�t cancel as the order had gone to the shipping department and was irreversibly scheduled to ship. I said that was fine and would return the package.

When I received the package on 11/7/12, I immediately returned it that day, unopened to the Post Office and refused the package. I emailed the company that very day and told them it was refused and would be coming back. They acknowledged that and said to please allow 2-4 weeks for a refund.

As of 12/30/12, I still had no refund, 8 weeks later. So I emailed again. They told me that they had received the return but there was "no correspondence" in the package (which of course was unopened as it had been refused) to tell them what to do with the return. I replied that there was indeed email correspondence with customer service and that I wanted my refund. On 1/4/13, they replied that they would issue a refund in 1-2 weeks. That never happened.

So, I finally filed a dispute with my credit card company (go Capital One!!) and they got my money back for me. Richard Owens tried to issue only a partial credit of $120 and Capital One had to get the rest of it from them. At least they issued a credit and this is resolved, but what a hassle.

I feel I was more than patient with Richard Owens Nursery, worked with them as much as I could and finally had to solve it by disputing it. I'm filing this report after searching the internet and seeing dozens of other people have had the same problems as me with this company. I don't like seeing this sort of thing going on and feel that by reporting it to the public, the company will perhaps improve whatever problems with their internal systems have created this situation.

• baconstrip66
    9 years ago

Richard Owen Nursery is a complete rip off!!!
    You don't get plants! you get seedlings in a plastic sandwich bag!
    A $50 tree is literally a a stick with a couple roots on it!
    DO NOT EVER USE THIS SCAM COMPANY!!
    I ordered two gardens and an additional 96 creeping phlox and a tree, it all came in one small bag! Over 150 plants and a tree in one bag?
    Does anybody know if this company can be reported to anyone who matters?

• Helen Allison
    4 years ago

i have to agree with above.......i ordered what they call a firn line hosta to add to shade garden it arrived in a plastic bag bare root problem was the plant was a crispy critter "roots" broke off taking out of bag i have ordered other hostas that also where bare root in plastic bags from other company's different from richard owen ... these plants arrived thriving in damp medium and alive i have tried to call richard owen nursery and exiciting gardens and direct gardens..... phones are always busy and i mean .......always sent e mail say the will get back but never hear from them ALL OF THESE COMPANIES ARE FRAUDULENT COMPANIES ......wish some way a class action lawsuit could be filed against all companies in one suit (they are all owned by same group)

• Helen Allison
    4 years ago

hello my name is helen allison i purchased plants (dead plants) from exciting gardens, direct gardens, and richard owen nursery's all of these people are crooks should be run out of town on a rail .... the better business bureau is no help either. we need to take this into our own hands and start a mass fraudulent law suit the only way to stop these crooks is to put them out of business a lawsuit can at least recuperate some of the money we paid them contact me at helenallison30@yahoo.com

• Bernadine Martin
    4 years ago

Can I please get a catalog

• Bernadine Martin
    4 years ago

Can I please get a catalog

• Helen Allison
    4 years ago

the last thing you want is anything to do with these people........unless you like dead plants, no refund........ also burgess seed (same company)

• Bernadine Martin
    4 years ago

Thanks for your sharing that with me God bless you.

• sue Lovendahl
    2 years ago

DO NOT DO BUSINESS with them. They are the biggest rip off there is. Once they have your money you are screwed. You will get sub standard plants if you get them at all. But hey you paid him big bucks for junk. They refuse to give any type of refund. This absolutely a company to black ball.

• HU-659475166
    2 years ago

Stumbled on this INFERIOR GARBAGE COMPANY PEDDLING CULLS AND TRASHY PLANTS. IT NEEDS TO BE RUN OUT OF TOWN AND MOPPED UP ASAP.

THEY OUGHT TO BURY THIS BOQUET OF SCAM ALIAS COMPANIES WITH RICHARD OWEN!! THANKS TO ALL REVIEWERS FOR YOUR REPORTS!!

WE WILL NEVER BE ORDERING FROM THIS SHXXSHOW!!