Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chelydra

Big problems with Fedex shipping

chelydra
12 years ago

Like many others here, I buy mostly from catalogs, by phone, mail or Internet. In the last couple of decades, I've bought over 1000 trees and shrubs, and a like number of perennials.

Most deliveries are by UPS, and I ask for them when possible. But many dealers use Fedex. In the past year or two, service has really deteriorated. They leave packages out by the street, unprotected from theft or weather. It's only twelve steps to a sheltered entry here, but Fedex agents *never* (and UPS *always*) take the extra few seconds to protect the goods. Today, for example, I had six cardboard boxes of bare-root trees left on the hot pavement in full sun. Fortunately, I was only out of the house for half an hour, and everything should be fine.

Worst part is that they seem to have no customer service to deal with this. I've sent two letters, several e-mails, and a couple of web-form complaints. It seems impossible to reach a person by phone, and I have learned that deliveries come from many different centers through subcontractors anyway.

Very disappointing when dealing with expensive and sensitive materials, and when returns mainly hurt the vendor and still cost something (including time and effort) to customer.

Perhaps if enough people let vendors know that UPS is safer for plants, things will change.

Comments (4)

• Embothrium
    11 years ago

Thanks for the alert.

• poisondartfrog
    11 years ago

Fed Ex is horrible here too. If I forget to ask and a merchant sends my order FedEx, it invariably goes to the wrong address and then FedEx won't admit to misdirecting it. You can not reach them locally by phone unless they want you to. They are unreliable and irresponsible.

• LullabyF360
    10 years ago

I live out in the sticks, so we order online a lot. Good luck strikes us, & the majority of our orders are delivered by USPS or UPS. We have one specific person who delivers to us from both UPS & regular mail. Has been the same people for almost a decade. They know us & our habits & our home, so they are more than willing to work with us if we have a special request for a delivery (such as, "We're not going to be home at the time of delivery. Can you place the package in such-and-such area so that it is out of the rain, out of view etc"). But every now & then, something get delivered by FedEx. My mail lady runs at a consistent time everyday. Same is said about my UPS guy. He always shows up between 4:00 & 5:00 in the evening. FedEx...FedEx arrives whenever. It is never the same people. 90% of them get scared when they hear our dog barking from inside the house (they can't even see the dog the way my house is designed) that they will either dump the boxes in the yard, nowhere near the front door, or have me come to the truck & collect the packages. The one case that stands out in my mind happened two months ago. I was waiting around the house for FedEx to arrive. Well something urgent came up, & I had to leave the house for a few minutes. When I returned my husband called me asking if the package has arrived. I told him no. No one has shown up & nothing has been left. He said it had been delivered, according to the tracking info. I called FedEx, & they too said the package has been delivered. They said "husband's name" signed for it. He was at work. I was away from the house. No one but the dog & ferrets were at the house. Saving myself a migraine of fighting with them, I got the inkling to scour the yard. About ten minutes later I found the box...completely hidden in the tall grass...on the far side of the house. It was also set on wet ground, so by the time I found it, the bottom of the box was so soggy I couldn't carry the box in. I had to empty it right there. Luckily, everything inside could not be harmed by water. Afterwards I laughed & told my husband they are a few months late on hiding Easter eggs.

• HU-354607129
    last year

We just received a chest of drawers we ordered from Houzz. Did not see any damage to box when it was delivered. Took time removing the item and styrofoam. We placed the item in our living room and proceeded to tear up the box and stryrofoam and put in trash. Then, we discovered signficant damaged front right corner. Have contacted Houzz for return and replacement. How do we send back without box? Will we be responsible to the packaging?

Sponsored
Traditional Hardwood Floors LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Your Industry Leading Flooring Refinishers & Installers in Columbus