Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tgleaves

Anyone used Starkbros.com??? or have other recs?

tgleaves
15 years ago

I'm trying to purchase a bonfire peach but cannot find a nursery anywhere nearby that carries them. Starkbros.com has them to order but I know nothing about them. Or, does anyone know of a website that is reputable and sells the bonfire peach (Prunus persica). Thanks!

Comments (28)

• oakiris
    15 years ago

I haven't personally purchased from them, but they receive a primarily positive rating on Garden Watchdog. Hopfully someone here who has used them will respond, too.

Holly

Here is a link that might be useful: Garden Watchdog

• jblc
    15 years ago

I have purchased fruit trees and berries occasionally from Stark's and find they have great selection, top-quality stock and their customer service is excellent. Occasionally, I have had questions (rootstock used, etc.) and they have provided the answers. Some local nurseries carry Stark fruit trees in pots. They always look great on display, and I have purchased a few locally.

I shop at Jung's and from Miller's mail order stores and sometimes find a product (or better price) unavailable at Stark Bros. I have found nothing wrong with them, I just prefer doing business with Stark.
    Jack

• negi
    15 years ago

A lot of other people have had decent results and apparently support from them, my experience has been surprisingly bad.
    I ordered two trees in March. When I received them, the box looked fine, but inside, the plastic wrap was not a proper seal, more wide open than anything else. The plants, one potted and one bare root, were quite dry. I complained immediately and was told they were fine and to plant them. I have nursed them since then, and I have two stunted sad sticks that have trouble keeping a leaf on them. I am honest with them and tell them they are still alive, but set back and stunted. Apparently that is good enough for them. Their support immediately puts me on the defensive, having to justify myself. I will not purchase from these people again.

Try http://www.rollingrivernursery.com/ I have planted quite a few fruit trees from them, and they do quite well.

Bob

• gwb1943
    15 years ago

Don't know what is going on with the posting above but I have never had anything but great service and support from Starks. My Dad started using Starks for fruit trees back in the 1940's and continued all his life. Matter of fact, he's been gone over 15 years and his trees are still putting on fruit and haven't been pruned or taken care of since he passed. I've been using Starks trees for close to 40 years and I have never had anything but outstanding results from them. Matter of fact, due to shipping problems with UPS, I've had a couple of trees snapped in half during shipment. All I did was call Starks and replacement trees were sent right away at no charge what-so-ever and no further questions asked. With respect to the posting above, he says that he's "nursed his trees and can't keep a leaf on them". Dime to a donut that he's killing his trees with kindness and overwatering them or giving them fertilizer. My guess is too much water.

• Embothrium
    15 years ago

Note that Prunus persica is the botanical name of all peach trees and not just one variety.

• bluespanishlady
    15 years ago

I have ordered fruit trees from Starks and was very pleased with the size and quality of the trees. They have been growing now for over ten years and have produced sweet beautiful fruit. The one tree ordered was a Starks exclusive at the time- a cross between a plum and an apricot; it turned out to be a real winner. Great experiences with this seller.

• kcbarbara
    14 years ago

I came here today looking for reviews of Stark Bros. I ordered two blueberry bushes from them and they are AWFUL - the saddest, weeniest looking things I've ever seen. Truly no better than a single stick with two leaves on it. I plan to call and complain but whether it'll do any good, remains to be seen.

• maifleur01
    14 years ago

kcbarbara, courious what size of plant did you expect to receive then the catalog shows that they are 3 1/2 inch pots?

• mojo777
    14 years ago

I bought a peach tree from them three or four years ago. It arrived in great condition, and has grown up nicely in my yard. Right now it is sprouting pretty little flowers.

• hanks40_comcast_net
    12 years ago

order two peach trees in 2010 and neither made thru winter
    they replaced both but they will not make trees for years--
    they have no limbs -- just sticks
    can bye much better trees at wal-mart or rural king for less money wiil not order any more from them
    will not recommend to anyone

• Apple_hotmail_com
    12 years ago

Best site. Often has free shipping and I live in Alaska where most places don't ship anything. They have a huge selection for my zone and when all 9 blackberries died in transit they replaced them and sent me a free blueberry since it was the end of season. the have by far the best selection of dwarfs, semi dwarfs ect.. That I have ever found for each tree they sell. And I can call them with any garden question they will try to help. My 3 semi dwarfs are branching well 3-4 years old that I got just this spring. I also love how they mark what can grow in your zone and won't let you buy anything that doesn't. It makes shopping much faster

• judyhi
    12 years ago

I ordered lingonberry bushes from Stark Bro in the spring. One is not doing well. I called them and they are sending me a replacement. No problem.

• kstavert
    10 years ago

I purchased two apple and one peach
    from a Stark Bros reseller...

at the end of the summer, one of the
    apple trees broke at the graft...

add to the expense of purchasing the
    trees (and the organic nutrients and the
    weeks and weeks of watering and caring
    for the trees) I drove back to the reseller -
    about a 120 mile round trip - and picked
    up a replacement tree...

we were just a couple of weeks from
    cold/winter weather...

the replacement tree struggled through
    the summer and suddenly died/broke
    at the graft...

a short while later, the remaining apple
    tree died... broke at the graft...

it was now past the "warranty" period
    from the reseller... they advised me to
    contact Stark Brothers...

(I have 4 other fruit trees - two of which
    were almost dead when I planted them
    several years ago - and all of these trees
    are flourishing under my care)

Stark Brothers informed me that they do
    not honour the warranty when their trees
    are purchased through a reseller...

They did offer to let me purchase trees
    directly from them, though...

So, not only did I have the expense of the
    three trees, I had gas over and back to
    the nursery twice... plus the watering and
    time and organic nutrients....

I wouldn't buy a tree from Stark Brothers
    if they were the last company available...

• vieja_gw
    10 years ago

I find that what were once old reliable nursery names, have been sold & bought out by another company & still use the same name as the original company. Sometimes the products are as good as before but often much WORSE but I have no way of knowing the original company has been sold along with its good name! Personally, I'd think I would like to retain my good name rather than sell it for $$$ to a loser!

• samsim
    9 years ago

Take care when ordering trees from Stark Brothers. These folks may by skating by on their former reputation. I have experienced an extremely high mortality rate on trees I have ordered from them. Yes, they have a 1 year guarantee, but for it to be useful you will need be vigilant watching for signs of decline and willing to abandon hope when you see the tree begin to fail. My trees have died at the beginning of the 2nd season, which isn't covered by the guarantee. So disappointing.

• Joshua Stransky
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Does anyone know if they are organic and GMO- free genetically modified

• AJD1221
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

The trees I've ordered from Stark Brothers (all apples) have all been of relatively good quality and thus far have survived. They are less than a year old so hopefully they make it (knock on wood for me!). But the customer service I've received from them has been superior to any other nursery I've dealt with. Their website is really nice as well.

Joshua - their trees are not GMO but then again most trees are not. I'm not sure if they're organic our not though.

• Ginny Heller
    8 years ago

My brother and I own a fruit farm close to 100 acres of various fruit and we order from Stark Brothers religiously. No worries with a purchase from them as they also post on their website tips on growing and pruning. Ginny 2015

• oompau
    8 years ago

Just received my first order from Stark Bros. It came in mid/late Feb 2016, so too early to plant out even here in S.C. but all the stock looks pretty good except for some leaf spot on the very expensive blackberries that were ordered. Most of the potted plants are much smaller than expected, but will hopefully come along. I also feel the prices charged for this stock was pretty high. Waiting to see if they do something about the obviously diseased, tiny blackberry plants sent.

• katalea12
    8 years ago

Becky great story with happy ending and the fairy god mother is stark brothers nursery!Really great guys!!!

• Emily
    8 years ago

Last year I ordered several peach trees from them and one had a hole in the trunk! It was about 2.5 inches long and 1 inch wide, it smelled bad, and when I pushed on it gunk oozed out. I think it was canker. I couldn't believe that they missed it since the hole looked pretty obvious to me! But their customer service was great and they sent a replacement tree right away.

Emily in Wisconsin Zone 5

• vieja_gw
    8 years ago

we also have had good experience with Stark's. If we have a problem with an order they are sure to fix it & very helpful with our questions & have sent replacements with our problems with our Asian pear trees.

• LizinTx
    7 years ago

I ordered a wisteria tree from Stark and I'm keeping it in a pot. It was smaller than I expected but it has grown quite nicely since last fall. I'm quite happy with my purchase and would order from them again.

• Webster Pell
    7 years ago

I ordered 6 double knock roses and they were so small and fragile that i put them in the trash.I will never order from them again.

• vieja_gw
    7 years ago

we have ordered trees from them for some time now & have been very satisfied with them. Good product shipped & no problem replacing a problem tree & VERY nice to talk to about any problem or advice! I would surely recommend them!

• Vicky Seto
    7 years ago

I order Starkbros ; two peach one crapapple, and one plum last year, this spring all bloom, good nursery. I will order more this year

• Poppy Campbell
    6 years ago

I love Stark Bros. We have ordered all sort s of fruit trees, berries, etc from them and never were disappointed,.

Sponsored
Pierre Jean-Baptiste Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars76 Reviews
Award-Winning Interior Designer in Loudoun County | 12x Best of Houzz