Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pennyviolet

Bluestone Perennials

pennyviolet
16 years ago

I received my first order from them yesterday and am really pleased. The plants are healthy and bigger than I expected after reading up on them. They inclued a two sided info sheet that had more information on it than some books I've read! I especially like that I can ship the packaging back to them for recycling and recieve a credit for future shipments. There was also a coupon book with many good deals. I highly recommend them!

Here is a link that might be useful: Bluestone Perennials

Comments (12)

• arythrina
    16 years ago

Bluestone is great - high quality plants, carefully shipped, excellent coupons, packing material recycling... They definitely get a fair share of my gardening budget every year. I like buying from good folks.

• monarch_girl
    16 years ago

Over the years, I have placed several orders with Bluestone Perennials and have always received healthy plants. Every once in a while there might be one plant that arrives a little sad looking from being shipped in a dark box, but once planted, it always recovered and started growing with no problems. All of the plants from Bluestone Perennials were the actual varieties that I picked out and ordered (no mislabeled plants or substitutions). I have contacted their customer service about the availability of a shrub and received a prompt reply back but I have never needed to contact them about any complaints.

One thing to keep in mind is that you will receive smaller plants that will reach full sized in a year or two. If you are an impatient gardener and want an area to fill in quickly, Bluestone Perennials may not be the place for you, but for everyone else looking for a nice selection of perennials I would recommend it.

• ljrmiller
    16 years ago

:::giggle::: I wasn't able to garden for TWO YEARS because of work obligations, but I'll be able to plant this spring! I've already spent about $250 at Bluestone, what with coupons and discounts to spur me on. Yes, the plants will be small and I know that, but I've got places set up to repot and grow the plants on to my preferred size for planting, and then, just about the time I've gotten everything in the ground and can just sit back and watch, I'll be going in for major surgery and a few weeks' recovery time so I can JUST watch my new babies grow. I'm looking forward to both the activity and the forced inactivity.

Lisa

• esga
    16 years ago

They send great plants - my problems with them is that I order way too much!

• linnea56 (zone 5b Chicago)
    16 years ago

Just don't order their end of season specials. Those arrived half dead. I'm sure if you order at the right planting time they are OK.

• Loretta NJ Z6
    15 years ago

I received barely rooted clematis from them last year and was disappointed. However, all plants are healthy and growing nicely so I can't complain.

• echinaceamaniac
    15 years ago

I ordered some Heliopsis helianthoides 'Loraine Sunshine' from them and they are very beautiful, large healthy plants. I would definitely recommend Bluestone Perennials!

• tracyvine
    15 years ago

I ordered from Bluestone during their early season sale and received nice healthy plants. Their packaging was amazing and they offer a recycling program where you mail the packing materials back to them for discounted shipping on your next order. How great is that?

• ilovegardening
    13 years ago

MY experience makes me strongly disagree with this comment: "Just don't order their end of season specials. Those arrived half dead."

I placed a large order during their spring clearance sale last month--everything I bought was half price--and the entire order arrived in tip-top shape. In fact, the plants were bigger than I recall from any of my previous orders, and the Buddleia, hibiscus and a few others already had flower buds.

I couldn't be happier with my order...which is why I came here in the first place! I was going to post that my experiences with Bluestone have been nothing but wonderful. I can't recommend them highly enough. Their CAREFUL packaging is amazing and the plants always arrive healthy.

• Janet
    13 years ago

Agree with all the above. Was pleasantly surprised with the size and health of the plants. I would order from them again.

• vivian_2010 (IL Zone 5a)
    13 years ago

I only started ordering from Bluestone this year. Have been very happy. I particularly like their email alert when the order is shipped. And they are very good with shipping the play promptly.

The only suggestion I have for them would be to update their website so people can track the order online.

Vivian

• jitsmith
    10 years ago

Just an update, on something not mentioned here. Bluestone has changed their shipping procedures, and now ship in coir pots they tell you you can plant directly in the ground. Some folks have reported problems with some plants not growing because their roots didn't/couldn't penetrate the pots.

I found this info on the perennials forum - after I'd already ordered from Bluestone, in part because of the info here. Not worried about the plants, but it will probably mean extra work for me.

Sponsored
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators in Franklin County