Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
highalttransplant

High Country Gardens

highalttransplant
16 years ago

For anyone living at higher altitudes, I highly recommend them. I placed an order last Friday, and it arrived today! Everything was well packed and healthy looking. They do have a $25 minimum order, but all of their plants are reasonably priced, and are developed with harsh dry climates in mind.

Here is a link that might be useful: HCG

Comments (12)

• csedgewood
    16 years ago

The only thing that ever grew for me was some grass seed; some of it has survived sparsely. I even ordered some of their soil amendments for one order. I've given up on their plants and seeds, and have had much better luck with other nurseries and my own soil amendments.

• ljrmiller
    16 years ago

My only caveat about HCG (I don't mind the little plants--I either put them into an appropriate location with little competition or grow them up into larger plants before setting them in the ground to wrestle with everything else) is that their plants aren't quite as xeric as I thought. But then, I live in Northern Nevada, which makes Las Vegas look positively soaking wet. It means I end up planting lots of plants designated as "extremely xeric" in clay soil with rocks over it, and watering them twice a week. If I still lived in Kansas, I'd be warning people that HCG plants can melt out in all the humidity, and to take care to provide superb drainage and not much water, if any.

I've had good luck with HCG plants overall, though.

• jeanr
    16 years ago

customer service is great. however, they sell a yellow scabosia that does not remotely match the picture in their catalog. it bloomed a puny, washed out yellow. the pictures were definitely better than the reality for that plant.

• shannon
    16 years ago

I ordered last week got my 3 plants Thursday and they were in great shape. If I had been thinking they would have stayed somewhere cooler that the 100 degrees we got yesterday (Sat). This morning they are still looking fine.

There customer service is very helpful. I like them and there plants, yes they are small but I can buy big plants at Home depot just not what I can from HCG

• laceyvail 6A, WV
    16 years ago

I've had very good luck with most of their plants here in WV. One of the most striking that I tried is Arctostaphyllos x coloradensis, a broadleafed evergreen for hot, sunny areas. It's in its third season now, and doing great.

• magdaloonie
    16 years ago

Quit buying from them last year. The plants were expensive, too small and pulled out of a greenhouse the day of shipping. Bought much better, much cheaper elsewhere.

• oakiris
    16 years ago

They have a very extensive selection of unusual plants, lots of natives, but, for me, the plants are just too small for the price. I ordered from them a couple of years ago and I don't think any of the plants grew very well - roots too underdevloped, IMHO - and not a one made it past the winter. I guess I should have done as ljrmiller suggests, potting them up until they were mature enough to plant, but I guess I would just rather buy plants that can be planted the same year they are purchased!

Holly

• napapen
    16 years ago

I have ordered several times over a number of years and for our Mediterranean climate in Napa Valley, they are wonderful. I give catalogs to others and tell them about the wonderful plants.

Penny

• suel41452
    15 years ago

I ordered 6 Hidcote superior lavender plants and they ALL arrived DOA. Totally gray and dead 2" sprigs in waterlogged soil for almost $6 per sprig. They offered to replace, I declined because I had lost faith in them. But I still am aggravated I'm out $10 shipping for DEAD plants!

• Sowth Efrikan
    15 years ago

I'm considering placing my third order this year. When the first shipment arrived I was amazed at the packaging, although somewhat surprised at how small the plants were. Some had great roots, others were virtual seedlings. Still, I planted them out and inspected every day. They all took off, so much so that I placed another order. Same thing, tiny, healthy plants that have doubled in size in just weeks. Half of them are already showing flower buds. I don't know what they feed or do to those things, but the plants thrive - at least in my garden. I also like the plants they have on offer, many of which I cannot find in this area and which are suited for NE Texas. If only they would offer discounts to frequent customers!

• christinmk z5b eastern WA
    13 years ago

Ordered from them last spring (2010). I expected small plants, but some of these were a little TOO small. The Fallugia shrub (larger pot) looked fantastic. The two Scrophularia weren't as great once they were unwrapped. The root systems didn't even go halfway into the small pot, the stems were rather weak, and some of the inner foliage was yellow. I will agree that the customer service was wonderful. And they did PROMPTLY send replacement Scrophularia after calling to let them know about the plants (in case they didn't make it later on...was willing to wait to see how they did but the lady was sooo nice and said she would send two more). The new plants were a bit better, though none of them grew much over summer. The Fallugia shrub took off and did great by fall though.

I like their policy of sending out replacements. I like the looks of their catalog and how many unusual things they offer. But I think I will look elsewhere first before buying any more from them...
    CMK

• Woebegonia
    13 years ago

I ordered 3 years ago, cactus and lewisia hybrids, all still alive, and I'm sure they will survive this winter as well.

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida