Return to the Rate & Review Vendors Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Green Mountain Transplants

Posted by olliem z5bKS (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 6, 07 at 15:27

I know that the move from Vermont to Maine generated lots of negative reports for GMT a couple years ago. However, I had ordered form them in 2003 and the plants were outstanding to I decided to try them again this year. I ordered a flat of the 32-size plants - all to be used in deck containers. My order arrived 5/18 and I planted them the same day. The plants were a huge disappointment - most of the annuals were straggly, with only one stringy stem, rather than short and stocky like we're told to buy. When removing them from their pots, the soil just fell away, leaving only a few sparce roots. So far 10 have died and 8 more are so small and struggling so much I'm buying replacements for them locally. Only the perennial grasses and heuchera are thriving. Regarding the heuchera - I had ordered one each of 3 different varieties and their packing diagram verified that. However, what I actually received were 3 of only 1 variety. I appreciate that their prices per plant are lower than most other nurseries but the $29 shipping charge for my one flat and more than half of the plants dead or dying, has made this a losing experience. Not surprisingly, they have not responded to my e-mail. And needless to say, I won't be ordering from them again.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Green Mountain Transplants

I'm sorry to hear you had such a negative experience with GMT. I ordered from them every year in the 1990's and early 2000's and was always happy. I only ordered perennials though. When they moved and had so many problems, I decided not to order until they got settled. I just today received a 72 cell flat of peppers and perennials and I'm very happy with it.

o

I received 2 flats from GMT this season and am expecting a 3rd today or tommorrow. This was my first time ordering from them and I'm pretty impressed. Out of my 104 plants so far, the only things not to make it were 2 cucumber plants. The tomatoes and cauliflower were leggy, but they recovered nicely with some support. For the selection that they have you can't ocme close to their prices anywhere. Shipping East of the Mississippi is much more affordable, and just as those of us on the East coast must suffer with ForestFarm's expensive East coast shipping, those on the west suffer with GMT's West of the Mississipi whipping.

o

I bought two flats of perennials in the spring of 2005,2006 and 2007 and was VERY happy with them.
Martha

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rate & Review Vendors Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here