Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jant_gw

Baaaaad. Carroll Gardens

jant
16 years ago

Don't go there. I ordered 6 double Knock Out roses. They didn't come, didn't come...it's getting to be about 3 weeks. I call...they're "behind" in shipping cuz of FEAR of another weird freeze. Oh pleeeze. The previous day was 82! It's mid May.

Finally I convince them to SHIP. That's the only thing they did well....arrived in 2 days. One box that weighed about 12 oz. Six roses in FULL BLOOM and totally bareroot with no peat, no wrapping, rubber banded all together in a plastic bag. OK!

They were basically "rootless". Only 2 had really any roots at all. I knew the "roots" wouldn't support the top growth so I potted them up so they wouldn't bake in the full sun exposure. I'll plant them later...they're just beginning to leaf out again...kinda sorta.

I later found an online discussion about them...........totally negative. Avoid!

Comments (4)

• Carrie B
    16 years ago

Yeah, I had a really bad experience with them too. I was looking for a particular plant this spring, and they had it listed as "in stock" on their website. I ordered it, and, while I was at it, ordered a couple of other plants I'd been thinking about getting at the same time.

They charged my account immediately. About a month later, I still had not recieved my plants. I called them and left a message - no call back. The next week, I called and got someone. "Yes, we're mailing them out tomorrow".

A few days later, I got two out of the three plants. The one that I did not get was the one that I initially ordered, the one I had been looking for. The packing slip indicated that it was backordered until next year. But my credit card had been charged 6 weeks prior!

I called and asked that my card be credited the amount of that missing plant. I was told "no problem". Two weeks later, no credit to my account. I called again and left a message. No call back. I called again until I got someone, and was told that "we had computer problems the last couple of days, it will be fixed in the next couple of days". I called 3 or 4 days later and was asked "didn't you already call us about this?" in a very unpleasant manner. It took another call or two to resolve the issue.

In the meantime, one out of two of the plants I got from them (clematis tangutica - supposedly very vigorous!) has died. I will contact them about refunding/replacing it, but don't have much faith that it will happen without a fight.

• krazyaroider
    16 years ago

I had a learning experience about marketing when I first learned about hardy southern magnolias. I was researching about hardy cultivars when I realized that I may be able to grow them here in Hamburg, NY near Buffalo.
    My researching led me to Carroll Garden' s website that was promoting a cultivar called Bracken' s Brown Beauty. I was intriqued and ordered the tree in spring of 2004. I grew the tree for two years and noticed that the growth was weaker each year and in spring of 2006, I removed the tree and noticed the bottom had lost its bark in a pattern that indicated that it was grafted. I have sinced learned much more about hardy southern magnolia cultivars and how to grow marginal plants from an excellent book - "North by South Gardening" by Dr. David Francko.
    Back to Carroll Garden' s tree that I purchased, it was 4' tall and cost me $40.00. I did not know it was grafted and now I know why it died. The top appeared to be hardier and grew larger than the part below the graft.
    I took as a learning experience and as a result discovered Garden Watchdog at Dave's Garden. I research everything completely.
    I have purchased other hardy magnolia cultivars that are cutting grown from nurseries that have sound ratings and reputations.

• Embothrium
    16 years ago

Sounds like it was grafted on an unsuitably less vigorous understock, although you'd expect it would've been put on a southern magnolia seedling. Maybe it happened to be a dwarfish seedling or they used something like sweet bay magnolia at the production nursery.

I wouldn't assume a grafted southern magnolia was inherently flawed, although it is true grafting in general has some limitations that may surface.

• krazyaroider
    16 years ago

OK, I have to respond to bboy ~
    "Sounds like it was grafted on an unsuitably less vigorous understock, although you'd expect it would've been put on a southern magnolia seedling."
    - I think it was on southern magnolia rather than M.virginana.

"I wouldn't assume a grafted southern magnolia was inherently flawed, although it is true grafting in general has some limitations that may surface."
    - I think the top part - the Bracken Brown Beauty part was hardy, but the bottom was probably not hardy in my zone 6 garden. The bottom died and lost the bark while the top tried to heal the "wound" but, since it could not, it died. I believe if the tree was cutting grown, it would have been still alive...

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County