Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nyquistuk

Bertazzoni Help

nyquistuk
14 years ago

Let's ask Jonathan Long the Bertazzoni Customer Service Rep what he thinks of their product as I cannot seem to get an answer from him!

I informed them of a problem 4 1/2 months ago about a new Bertazzoni range and was promised he would look into the issue and to date i cannot get them to respond... what kind of company is this? No service after the sale, for sure!

The email message threads are what follows... he also refers me to an unqualified website point out that the GFI problem is typical... he obviously has no clue either as to what he is talking about as they are part of the NEC national electric code for appliances in the kitchen and especially those near water as the stove is in that it has a Pot Filler over top of the rear deck of the installation and local code requires it in this instance.

I will surely never buy anything from this company again and would recommend that others do not begin a relationship with a company that will not even answer their customers after several request for simply that courtesy!

----- Original Message -----

To: Jonathan Long Jonathan Long
Sent: Wednesday, June 24, 2009 3:25 PM

Subject: Re: Problems with a new range; model is M3YOGTU4X5A...

Hello Jonathan,

Although I expressed my disappointment in not hearing back from you to date, I have been further ignored for the week that has ensued since my last contact with you in my 17th of June email...

Such lack of not so much of as an acknowledgement only tells me of your disregard for your customers and their satisfaction after the sale is consummated. One would expect that a company such as yours would be more circumspect and diligent, especially when attempting to break into the US marketplace, as word of mouth is everything...

I would really like to hear the feedback and recommendations of your technical or engineering staff on this matter ASAP, as it has been more than 2 months of the promise of an answer for my problem...

Regards,

Victor

To: Jonathan Long

Sent: Wednesday, June 17, 2009 7:15 AM

Signore Long,

It is disappointing that it has been since the 28th of April that you indicated that you would get back to me on my problems with my Bertazzoni Range, per you last communication.

Regards,

Victor

To: Victor

Sent: Tuesday, April 28, 2009 3:00 PM

Subject: RE: Problems with a new range; model is M3YOGTU4X5A...

Victor,

Let me check with the factory and get back to you on this.

Thanks

Best regards,

Jonathan Long : SERVICEPower : Ph: 714-428-0010 x3014 : Fx: 714-428-0040

1503 South Coast Drive : Suite 320 : Costa Mesa : CA : 92626

Sent: Tuesday, April 28, 2009 1:15 PM

To: Jonathan Long

Hello Jonathan,

Thank you for your prompt response...

1.) On the first problem the igniter appears to be giving off a spark from the tip of the electrode... I might further mention that if given a long enough time that the Broiler will eventually light, and by that time there has been, what I would say in my opinion too much gas emitted, based upon the residual odor that is detected... typically as much as 20 to 30 seconds is required for ignition. On the other hand the oven almost always lights immediately, and such was the case from day one of installation!

2.) I have already seen all of the unofficial online forums and commentary on GFCI protected/powered circuits... the Amana one states "If GFI outlets are required by your local electrical codes, the outlet should be rated at an amperage sufficient for the appliance installed on the electrical circuit containing the GFI."

Unofficially, they are the only ones condoning its usage provided that it is of adequate rating... typically, Gas Ranges have fairly low electrical requirements as there are no high power electricals in them unless they are of dual fuel with electric ovens or whatever... This is of course not the case in my circumstance, and further unless the Electronic Igniter has a high leakage path to ground that is the only thing that would cause it to trip the GFCI after ignition has already take place... Again, my GFCI tripping only occurs if the "Oven Illumination Lights-On" is on during the Broiler Operation, and no other time, and will consistently trip the GFCI within one minute of the "Oven Illumination Lights-On" and for no other circumstance or combination of conditions, so as to be absolutely clear on my particular scenario. The light is typically on throughout the Oven Operation, as it is almost always used in the Convection Mode... this has never caused a tripping of the GFCI... the fault is only consistent with Broiler Operation and "Oven Illumination Light-On".

Finally, again as this is an area of the Kitchen which is considered a wet area (Wall Mount Pot Filler Over the Range) it is required to have all circuits protected by a GFCI, per local electrical code... the building inspector is pretty much a stickler on this issue (we have had conversations)... I have had 3 home in the Greater Seattle Area since 1983 and in all this has been the case... in fact in one home, the GFCI device covered one outlet on a back porch as well as an outlet in the Garage that also had the refrigerator in the Kitchen on it, was particularly problematic as anytime the there was a blowing rainstorm the porch outlet inadvertently got excess moisture sufficient enough to trip the GFCI device which unfortunately the GFCI was located in the Garage, turning off my refrigerator, and with the very first occurrence I did not know where the fault was... needless to say that it did not take too many of such scenarios for this to be remedied with a bypass solution.

For the moment I cannot effectively eliminate this GFCI, as I still have some additionally building inspections coming up as my remodel/full house renovation progresses... so I am not sure what the short term solution might be? There is obviously increased leakage in the Oven Light with the likely higher temperature it reaches with its close proximity to the broiler element, as like I had previously stated the Oven Operation is uneventful.

Can you point me to a full service manual and complete electrical wiring diagram for my Range? The model is M3YOGTU4X5A...

Thank you.

Regards,

Victor

To:

Sent: Tuesday, April 28, 2009 8:32 AM

Subject: RE: Problems with a new range

Hi Victor,

GFCI units should not be used with ranges that have an electric ignition system. For a more detailed explanation, I can refer you to a few different websites, but we can not make any recommendations on how to resolve this issue, as this would be better handled by a licensed electrician, and someone familiar with your local building codes.

http://www.applianceaid.com/gfi_plugs.html

http://forum.appliancepartspros.com/oven-repair-including-ranges-cooktops/6918-gas-oven-trips-gfci-breaker.html

With regards to the broiler taking a long time to ignite, it is important to understand if this is related to the GFCI problem. This can easily be determined by pressing in on the ignition knob (Simply pushing the knob will activate the ignition system I would not recommend turning the knob as this will allow gas through the valve and cause it to ignite), and inspecting the broiler burner.

When inspecting it, it is vital to see if there is a consistent spark, and ensuring that the spark is coming off of the tip of the electrode.

If the spark is not coming from the tip, or is not consistent, then we would need to get a service technician to your house to replace whichever defective part is causing the problem.

Best regards,

Jonathan Long : SERVICEPower : Ph: 714-428-0010 x3014 : Fx: 714-428-0040

1503 South Coast Drive : Suite 320 : Costa Mesa : CA : 92626

-----Messaggio originale-----

Da: Victor [mailto:]

Inviato: lunedì 27 aprile 2009 20.27

A: Bertazzoni - Appliances Manufacturer -

Oggetto: Problems with a new range

Hello,

I have had 2 issues/problems with my new Gas Range since day one of installation...

1.) The Broiler takes a long period of time to light, emitting excess gas into the room, so typically I use a barbecue lighter to ignite it quickly.

2.) Anytime the light is on in the oven in conjunction with the Broiler Function, the GFCI had tripped intermittently... now it trips consistently sometime before the Broiler is done cooking the food... At the start the GFCI was new as the kitchen had just been remodeled... there is nothing else on the circuit with it. The GFCI has been replaced with a new one (20 Amp Leviton Model) and the problem has not changed. The electrician as suggested that in these applications that GFCI's are problematic and perhaps I should consider eliminating it from the circuit with a normal outlet... However, code requirement in my area mandate such a device as there is a pot filler in the vicinity over the Gas Range.

Do you have any suggestions or remedies for either of these problems?

Your assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Victor

Comments (5)