Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
supergirl_gw

My new favorite nursery - Edelweiss Perennials

supergirl
16 years ago

I got my first order from them yesterday. I was so pleased that I feel compelled to spread the word how great they are (especially reading all the bad posts about Aaron's/TyTy.) I ordered from them because they had a plant that I was considering getting from Heronswood for $14 less - pretty much half Heronswood's price. Great selection, so I ordered a whole bunch of stuff (35+ plants, 20+ varieties). I actually got it all, which surprised me -- seems like every other order I placed lately has had things not in stock or backordered, and I'm disappointed when I open the box. Not this time. Everything was there, and everything looked great! Very healthy, and very good size for the price. They were nice enough to refund the difference between the shipping the website originally calculated and the actual shipping cost. I couldn't have asked for a better experience - so glad I took a chance and went with a big order from somewhere new!

Comments (2)

• corydalisenvy
    16 years ago

Finally... somewhere to post your favourite nursery or greenhouse!
    Being from Ontario Canada, I haven't been able to find a source to rate and suggest nurseries or garden centres. I reside in Fergus, noth of Guelph by 20 minutes and have been scouring the surrounding area for the ultimate greenthumb experience. To date, my favourite best kept garden secret has been "Lost Horizons" on Hwy 7 between Acton and Rockwood. A fellow Gardenweb member had posted a picture of her corydalis elata - and of course I simply had to have one for my blue/purple themed border garden.
    Easy enough, until I tried to locate it. Neither local nurseries (Little Tree or Cedar Springs) carried the elata, and then I expanded to Breslau, Waterloo and Kitchener and again came up empty potted!
    I have never been to a more expansive yet rurally pleasing setting for a garden centre before. It must have nine growing pods (open concept greenhouses), an expansive garden area to highlight many of their thousands of perennials, as well as being surrounded by tall shade providing coniferous and deciduous trees.... a very tranquil location that only amplifies and increases your gardening senses.
    They have a very knowledgable staff from the owner, Larry Davidson to his charming and intelligent and intellectual staff.... John and Ann have become my go-to garden experts, not only for information, but also for suggestions and advice for when I am thinking something that seems too good to be true.
    They do not plant in peat, and therefore you pay a bit more but the results are stunning! Many of their gems are started from seed which ensures that while there may not be growth the first year, you can actually watch the growth from seedling to border family member within two growing seasons.
    Rare and unusual.... their catalogue must be close to 75 pages with 20-25 plants on each page! It may not always be available, but their "wish list" ensures that your specific needs are not forgotten.
    I am in awe of everything relating to "Lost Horizons!" I have spent close to 150.00 in only two visits, and it seems like their catalogue is only an arms length away at any given time. I am anxious to see my jack in the pulpit (fargesii) next spring, black with a white stamen, as well as awaiting like an expectant father, the first blooms from my corydalis elata! Suffice to say one corydalis is never enough and now I have 5 different types in the garden.
    If you are from Ontario Canada and want to see what can never be summed up in words, plan a trip. They are not open Monday or Tuesdays, but otherwise 10am - 5pm. They encourage customers or those curious to pack a lunch and sit in the gardens and admire their hard work. Beware because it in a semi woodland/forest area, long sleeves and perhaps some insect repellant is the order. I am still scratching like crazy but have what is becoming an expressive and ecclectic garden border thanks to them

• roxy_girl
    16 years ago

I just received my first order from them yesterday and I was just floored at how wonderful the plants looked and the size of them for the cost I paid!!! I've been planting them all day and I'm still on cloud nine over them! I will be a repeat buyer.

They also refunded the shipping cost for me as well, pretty cool of Urs I think!

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting