Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cottage_garden

Thompson and Morgan - No Thanks!

cottage_garden
13 years ago

It is with immense regret for me to have to provide a poor rating to Thompson and Morgan for their incredibly bad service, poor handling of my order and repetitive lies.

Issue:

I specifically called their customer service department to place my initial order as there was one item of the 112 items being ordered that I needed to make sure they had in stock. Initially the representative indicated it was out of stock and then when I stated my disappointment she suddenly found they had it in stock. That should have been the clincher for me to realize something was amiss but I was so relieved I instantly set aside any doubt. I placed the order and was told it was going out the same day. A week later the status of the order was checked online and it was noted the order was on back order - all items! Called customer service and was told the order was on its way as of that day.

A week later, nothing.

Immediately called customer service and was routed to INDIA where the representative advised the item was on backorder but that he'd place a rush on it. This person also informed me the one item I really wanted was not only out of stock but there was no known ETA for future availability. This seemed absolutely insane since this is something that should have been advised at the time of the order. Now, I'm beginning to doubt the company.

A week later, nothing.

Called again and was told the items still had not gone out and that she was going to place a rush on it and speak with her supervisor. A week later, nothing. Called again only to get another representative to replay the same sad song at which point I had her just cancel the order.

After this nonsense I did a little research and was surprised to find Thompson and Morgan is apparently no longer the Thompson and Morgan I'm accustomed to doing business with since they were apparently purchased by another entity. It definitely shows. Luckily, the last purchase I made with Thompson and Morgan a few years ago was outstanding so I was able to obtain a really nice selection of lovely and unusual flowers which is especially nice since I don't have any intention of ever conducting business with this new entity in the future.

Overall Rating:

Thompson and Morgan under new ownership: F

Thompson and Morgan as Thompson and Morgan: A+

Comments (7)

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    13 years ago

I ordered from them 3 or 4 times. I found I had such noticeably poor germination rates with them that I just won't order from them any more. I've been gardening for 30 years and have not had any trouble starting seeds, so it was noticeable. They are way too expensive to have to wonder if you will have success.

• littleonefb
    13 years ago

They really do have some quality control issues going on right now and they really don't have any excuses for it other than no one is doing their job and following through with what should be done.

I ordered about $30 worth of seeds from them right after Thanksgiving and they where quite slow on shipping, but being that it was Dec. in New England, that was fine.

When the seeds finally did come in mid Dec. with 2 packets till on back order, I found 2 packets of the same seeds had nothing inside them, just plain empty.

Well I called customer service, explained the problem and they where going to reship the seeds right away.

Well, sure enough, the reshipped and when I checked the second set of seeds, yup, same as the first 2 packets, empty.

I called again for the second time and they claimed they would be sure that the seed packets where hand picked and did contain seeds in them and reship them to me.

Well, today the seeds arrived, the ones that where reshipped after being hand picked to be sure their where seeds in them and you guessed it. The packets where empty again, nothing inside but air.

I called now for the 3rd time, and this time demanded a supervisor to speak with and made it quite clear that I want this corrected, I want the specific seeds I ordered shipped to me and not packages with nothing but air in them and that there is no excuse for this to happen repeatedly.

I told them that in all the years I have been gardening and ordering and growing seeds from TM seeds, I have never had this kind of problem, that the company ran quite smoothly, and if there was a problem with seeds, seed germination, or the incorrect seeds in a package, it was quickly corrected, I've gotten seeds replaced and money refunded without a problem.

I told the supervisor that this was not an acceptable treatment of customers and that after this experience, I will not be ordering from TM seeds again. It appears that the sale of TM seeds has been a disaster and it is too bad that the reputation of such a quality company has been so quickly destroyed and that I knew quite a few other customers that are having the same experience.

I also told her that it was really sad to see this kind of thing happen and the things that kept customers returning, simple things like a free pack of seeds with every order and the ending of their discount site Value seeds, is something that customers don't forget.

The supervisor claimed she will take care of the problem and that I will get the seeds and she will be back to me within a few days.

We shall see, but my days of ordering from TM seeds are over.

Fran

• Embothrium
    13 years ago

Welcome to the age of piratical buyouts. Maybe the new owners care nothing about the continuing success of the company.

• Woebegonia
    13 years ago

I can remember, back in the 80's, their begonia seeds always arrived crushed - several growers complained about this, but only one directly to them, and he had a response, but it was fruitless as people continued to comment.I guess the clincher was when a British growing friend complained about getting crushed seeds from them.

• jan44
    13 years ago

I agree. Haven't ordered in maybe five years. Nice catalog and nice selection, but HORRIBLE germination.

• jacquihogan
    10 years ago

They STILL haven't improved in 2013!

No problems with my order last year, but nothing but problems with this year's order.

I got some or my plants, so called to find out where the rest were. Was told the cornflowers were due next year (2014), when I clarified that my order confirmation said 2013 very clearly, I was told 'oh, we've run out, would you prefer to get them next year or have something else instead?'. No apology. So, reluctantly, I found an alternative, which will completely change my planting scheme.

Today, I received a pack of common or garden geraniums instead of the 'custard cream' geraniums I ordered. What am I supposed to do with these? They don't fit into my scheme either. Along with vouchers for ã10. Big deal. They've run out of anything else that would work.

Totally rubbish. Avoid like the plaque.

• mark9518
    8 years ago

Received a mixed order of live plants, some of which were dead on arrival. I emailed a complaint through, including photographs and my order number.

I got a response acknowledging my complaint and asking for my order number......... :(

I emailed my order number back again, but no further communication has been received and all subsequent communications have been ignored.

Abysmal service, but the great thing is, you don't have to put up with it. There are plenty of other companies out there who are delighted to accept your business!