Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stayman_gw

Bad experience with mail order nurseries

stayman
14 years ago

This past spring I took on some ambious landscaping projects. I divided my plant purchases between three different mail order nurseries. The Bamboo Garden, Garden Crossings, Wayside Gardens and Greenwood Nurseries.

I purchased 5 bamboo plants from the Bamboo Garden (Fargesia denudata). They would not ship until a date they determined was appropriate. All plants arrived in excellant condition. The plants were all very healthy and large. All have survived and are thriving. I am very pleased.

I ordered a variety of plants (primarily hollies) from Wayside Gardens. They did not have any of the plants in stock but never bothered to contact me to let me know that my order could not be filled. I called and when talking to them, they told me they would not be able to fill my order this year. Needless to say, I said no thank you and found what I wanted from the Garden Crossing.

From the Garden Crossings, I ordered 12 hollies (10 Castle Spires female and 2 Castle Wall males) and 3 Cortaderia Pumilas. They also would not ship until a date they determined was safe. All plants arrived in excellant condition, in excellant health. One of the male Castle Wall's began to show severe die back and will not survive. I reported this to the nursery (along with pictures) and by the next day, I had an email from them saying they were shipping a replacement at no charge to me. In addition, I received a $25.00 gift card from them for my initial purchase. I am very pleased.

Last (and sadly least), I ordered over $200 worth of plants from Greenwood Nurseries. The order consisted of Siberian Elms (sold as is in bundles, not under warranty), Forsythia (also sold as is in bundles, not under warranty) and 3 Bamboo (Fargesia denudata). Unlike the other nurseries, they shipped the order without any delay (not a factor in the plants conditions). The quality of all their plants were very poor. The bamboo plants all looked much smaller and not in good condition at all. Not to my surprise, 2 of the 3 bamboo plants died. When I contacted the nursery about the plants (along with pictures), they informed me that I probably did something wrong and offered to replace the plants at 50% off of a new plant order, plus shipping. This policy was clearly stated on their webpage under warranty. I suspect they have this policy because so many of their plants die and would run them out of business to replace them at their cost. Their quality is sadly wanting.

In my experience and opinion, AVOID Greenwood Nurseries!!!!