Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
njmomma_gw

Beware! Hardy Daylily Gardens in CT.

njmomma
14 years ago

Extremely rude! They don't mail order - you have to go there, which I did. I drove 2 hours there and 2 hours back because they dig them for you and I wanted some later blooming ones in my garden. Here is what happened.

VERY expensive plants for what you get first of all. All started at $15-$25 for a double fan and these were common ones like Barbara Mitchell, etc... I wouldn't have even driven up there if I had known that but they don't mention that on their website.

Then, his staff greeted me kindly but he (the owner) was bordline rude.

Half the markers were missing or misplaced and hard to read becaues they were on small white plastic sticks in the ground if they were even there. I like to know what I'm looking at and he wasn't interested in helping me. His staff had no idea so couldn't help me but at least they were nice about it.

I splurged and got 2 for $20 each ($40) because I need later blooming ones and these had buds on them.

One was a seedling Chicago Candy Cane X Radiant Love which is about 30 inches tall and has medium pink 4" blooms. It's full of blooms.

The other had much fewer blooms but I like the one bloom it had on it. It's called Bright and Showy.

I tried to ask him some questions but he brushed me off - not a people person!

To top it off, when the lady that worked for him (not his wife) divided Bright and Showy she cut off the fan from the roots completely (on one fan, the other is fine). She did this in a baby bath full of dirty water so I'm sure she couldn't even see what she was doing, but she certainly would have noticed when she took it out of the water and potted it for me.

In fact, I had a feeling this is what she did but didn't say anything because I didn't want to question her and put her on the spot PLUS I wrongly assumed that someone would not destroy a plant and then sell it to me anyway! She kept packing it with dirt to the top and now I know why - it would have easily fallen over if she hadn't - it had NO roots!

Of course, when I get home (this was a 2 hour drive) I unpack it to plant it and see the destruction and call right away. I explain who I am and he recognized me and I tell him what happened and he gives me 2 options, either bring it back to him so he can see it and then he'll replace it or he'll ship me a bare rooted one but I have to pay for the shipping. I offered to take a picture of it and email it to him but he was adamant that a picture will not be good for him.

Then, when I had nothing left to say because I was in shock and disbelief at his unfair attitude and position, he starts saying, "well, you were difficult in the garden. You didn't know what you wanted."

WHAT???

Why, because I asked the prices of 5 different ones? (really there wasn't much blooming I liked)

Oh, he also said he will NOT refund any of my money because I got my money's worth because Bright and Showy is a very expensive plant and a single fan is $20. I quickly looked this up online and Marietta's sell a double fan for $10. Why does someone have to be so rude and untruthful?!

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Traditional Hardwood Floors LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Your Industry Leading Flooring Refinishers & Installers in Columbus