Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
corydalisenvy

Lost Horizons - Acton, Ontario, Canada

corydalisenvy
16 years ago

Gardeners are all passionate about the plants that they grow, and in many cases, gardeners have one or two gardener's paradises where they purchase their plants. I have spoken to people who refuse to give up the name of their favourite nursery for fear that it become "trendy" - I laughed the first time someone politely refused to give up the name...

Funny, but now I know what that shoe fits like! I too have found my own favourite nursery! I have discovered the ultimate gardener's Shangri-la located between Acton and Rockwood Ontario called Lost Horizons. Its like it's my dirty little gardening secret and I have been very selective in who I discuss it's merits with.

Majestic pine trees, a stream, and at least 10 acres of naturalized gardens are but the visual splendors awaiting the first time visitor. Add a selection of perennials, grasses and trees and shrubs that include the perennial gardener's favourites, up to and including rare and exotic alpines, and you have a glimpse of what to expect. The extensive catalogue contains close to 3000 entries, many of which are available at a given time. Its understandable that the most popular are the first to go. For the true gardening addict, this catalogue is like a summer-long read! Mine is always close at hand, dog-eared and highlighted as it is, especially when I'm off on a weekend garden walk checking out the lovely gardens in the area.

Plants are healthy and lush, grown in a deep rich growing compound to ensure that new plants develop a strong root system, as opposed to plants that are grown in 4" pots stuffed with peat and little else! Most plants are sold in the one gallon format, ensuring strong root development and enough room to allow for sturdy stems and plenty of foliage and blooming potential. It's all part of setting standards that surpass those of most large scale nursery operations, but then again, Lost Horizons is so much more than most steel and fibreglass grow operations.

Tour the extensive naturalized gardens that branch out in all directions - its so easy to lose oneself amongst the majestic pines, strolling through beds of plants that are instantly recognizable, and even better, stumbling upon something that leaves you short of breath, needing to know where you can lay your hands on one for your own garden.

Its a laid-back environment, but this doesn't mean that the staff aren't eager to assist you, be it finding the plant that's in full bloom in one of the gardens, to offering expert advice about growing requirements or assisting in creating the perfect balance in a new perennial garden that you are planning. If you're wanting to have a garden created, check out the landscape division - you won't be disappointed!

I went looking for a plant the first part of June and have been back every weekend since. For the true green blooded perennial gardener, Lost Horizons is the place for you! Plan a visit today, and discover a sanctuary that will inevitably become your home-away-from-home!

Comments (2)

• corydalisenvy
    Original Author
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Its been a wonderous summer for me, traversing the landscape looking for nurseries, and in this instance a plant farm. Located west of Mount Forest, Ontario, Wild Things is a wonderous adventure for anyone who loves field and woodland surroundings, (amazing fields teeming with perennials; and a woodland display of trilliums and other shade loving plants) and an immediate rapport with the friendly knowledgable staff.

I was intrigued when I discovered it was called a "plant farm" but soon learned that many of their perennials are grown in a field, where left to the elements, they either thrive or perish. From the appearance of the cascades of colours as you drive towards the retail area, it is evident that most have thrived. Its colder and they have more snow than the GTA, but this hasn't stopped them from growing spectacular perennials!

The benches have the staple perennials as well as some total eye-catchers like an Indigo Kirilowii that stuck out worse than a green thumb, so much so that I simply had to bring it home and then investigate what exactly I had purchased. So tiny and delicate with her bright leaves. There is something for the most discerning or gardeners, as well as new and exciting selections for the greenest of new gardeners like myself!

I was thrilled to have the owner remember me on only my second visit and was soon engaged in a conversation that was both genuine and inquisitive. Its nice when someone wants to know your favourite plants before deciding what will look good in your garden. I was witness to the annual Labour Day Monster Plant Sale, and judging by the number of people who seemingly appeared out of the fields, this is an event that is eagerly anticipated towards the end of the gardening season. I came home with more plants than I have room for, and after planting them I decided that in preparation for future visits to Wild Things Plant Farm, I will have to create new gardens for the treasures that will surely await me next year!

• rouge21_gw (CDN Z5b/6a)
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I am going for the first time to "Lost Horizons" this week. It is an hour away by car but it is the only place that I could find a "Summer Snow" clematis this "late" in the growing season.