Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wanna_run_faster

Glasshouse Works

wanna_run_faster
16 years ago

This is a speciality type nursery where starter plants are usually grown or rooted to request. I ordered 15 or so plants, Tom threw in a couple extra and answered every email within 24 hours. It's been a couple of months and all my plants have survived and thrived into nice big healthy plants. I am currently working on another order!

Comments (16)

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    16 years ago

How fast do they ship? I been thinking about ordering a pink philo from there..

• calliope
    16 years ago

I've been down there and shopped in person. The owners were friendly, accommodating and very up on plant material. It's delightful. I'm in the business, and even my tongue was hanging out at their rarities. Yes, I came home with my car loaded. Twice! LOL. I found out about the place from a nursery inspector who bought there. That's enough of a recommendation for me.

I have heard a few negative things on the inet from people who said the material is so small. But, given the unusual nature of many of their products, you wanna wait ten years for a big one? Everything I have ever bought from them has lived. But, this place is one I'd recommend to a serious gardener or one seeking unusual items. If you want the ordinary stuff there are places where you'll get them larger, cheaper. But if you want neat stuff, and are willing to give the plants time and attention, this place is great.

• aka_peggy
    16 years ago

I visited Glasshouse Works a few years ago and they were sooo friendly. They gave DH & I the grand tour. They have some wonderful rare varieties and compared to other similiar operations, I thought their prices were fair.

• monarch_girl
    16 years ago

Sorry, I just can't recommend ordering anything from Glasshouse Works. :( When I placed my order it took forever to arrive, which the owner later blamed on email problems even though the credit card was charged the day after the order was placed. The plants were very small and out of four plants, three of them were not even the plants that I originally ordered. Maybe it is different if you can actually travel there in person and can pick out the plants you are looking for yourself. Unless they have a rare or special plant that you absolutely can't live without or find at another reliable greenhouse grower, you might want to think twice before ordering. It might end up to be a waste of money and growing season.

• deltaohioz5
    16 years ago

I have ordered from Glasshouse Works for several years and have never had a problem.

• honeybunny442
    16 years ago

where are they located?

• stokesjl
    16 years ago

I believe they are in North Carolina....well one of the Carolinas, I forget which one.

• galium
    16 years ago

Glasshouse Works is located on Ohio.

I asked my DH for a gift certificate from them for Christmas. I'm waiting until it warms up a little before I place my order.

• lantanalover
    15 years ago

I just ordered for the first time from Glasshouse Works. I am thrilled with my purchases! I ordered two Passiflora vines, and Tom was very helpful and answered all of my emails very promptly. He even included an extra Passiflora in my package! The plants I received were very healthy and larger than expected. Shipping was super fast and they were very well packaged! (a few other online nurseries need to take a packing lesson from them! lol) I will definitely be ordering from them again and recommend them to anyone looking for healthy, hard to find plants!

Tiffany

• karyn1
    15 years ago

I've ordered from this company a few times and have always been very satisfied with their products and customer service.
    Karyn

• las81101
    13 years ago

I ordered my plants in mid-February. Tom said he would wait to fill it until March or April when it would be warmer, which was fine. I did not hear from him again until May 15th, when I asked him to cancel my order. He insisted that part of it was ready to go and it would ship the next day. By May 28th, I still had no plants. I wrote an irate email, threatening to call the BBB. Tom called me and promised to finally refund my money. The whole experience was very frustrating and disappointing.

• wildvines55
    13 years ago

I ordered a large order in April & still have not received them. A lot of my emails go unanswered, but I too had my credit card charged months ago. I havn't requested a refund yet, but am getting really close!!!!!!!!!! I too was promised shipping with in the time frame of 7 to 10 days, and that was 45 days ago.
    Oh well, I will order elsewhere from now on

• bapow_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

I placed an order two weeks ago and they were on my doorstep today! I ordered several small plants and they all arrived very well packaged and very healthy. I could not be any happier!

• ewan56
    10 years ago

They may be nice people but bought 4 ficus trees for $12 and when I got them they had given me 4 $ 2 cuttings. Sure they put in an extra little ivy plant but when I complained they ignored me. I asked for my money back and they ignored me. Finally I complained through pay pal and low and behold I got three emails that morning.

I asked for my $63.50 back, I paid $ 9.50 to return them from NJ to OH where they are. They gave me back $55.50 minus $8.00 dollars for handling. They charge $15.00 to ship as you can see above it only cost me $9.50.
    I settled for the $55.50 just to get it over with and now I am out $17.50 with nothing to show for it but aggravation. The excuse they gave to pa pal was that my order was a 'substitute', don't buy from these people there are far better places to purchase plants from like, ' Musser Forests' who are honest and do not give you the Ebay bait and switch.

• Marisa Baldwin
    2 years ago

Shipping cost was more than order!

• J Augustus
    last year
    last modified: last year

They charge more for shipping than any other company I know of. And they too often send scrawny little barely rooted cuttings.