Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
slave2thefur

ebay sellers - good and the bad

slave2thefur
16 years ago

Hi everyone

There's a lot of strong feelings about ebay sellers - some are professionals and some are home gardeners. imho, the ebay feedback is not helpful, since it reflects the buying experience, and not the growing experience.

for example, I bought a Blue cerifera palm from Palmswholesale - it's green green green, and we've gone round and round about when it will turn blue. They will not refund my money.

GOOD sellers (reasonable policies, responsive, quick, good looking seed), but not yet planted

Australiana Plants & Seed aka deminimus

ecoseeds - terrific seller

flowerangel0607

Jimlsr's Seed Shack aka jimlsr

plantaholics

salvia49 or salvia350

Stacy's Seeds and S'more aka stardrifting

La Tulipe Blanche aka tulipe_blanche

buriedtreasuresnursery - great people

AVOID

exoticflowerseeds4u - refuses to combine shipping - a $1 packet of seeds is $2 to ship. Policy is to combine shipping for wins that are within 2 days - and gee, the postings are 3 days apart. SCAM

The plumeria forums also list buyers to embrace or avoid.

Note: Although I live in CA, which has legal restrictions on sending plant materials, I've never had a problem receiving bare root (mostly bulbs) or seed from these sellers, including several in Oz.

=^,,^=

Comments (19)

• sheri_nwok
    16 years ago

I bought heirloom tomato plants from the seller TomatoGirl on ebay last summer, and didn't know what to expect, because I had never ordered plants online. The plants were awesome. They were flawless and very affordable. She had a variety list of about 90 different types if I remember correctly, and peppers too. I think they were even more affordable on her website. www.tomatobabycompany.com

• gdionelli
    16 years ago

My only experiences have been with seeds this year, and so I can't tell you anything yet about germination.

heirloomvegetables and seedstation sent seeds very quickly and packaged very well; good labelling.

Katz Kuntry Kuttins (I hate that name) was slower - in fact I ordered them the same day as seedstation's (from the UK) and they arrived a week later. But they were fine.

• gdionelli
    16 years ago

I emailed seeds0 to let him know that he had the wrong description with his title and picture. I received an extraordinarily rude response. Most sellers would want to know they had the wrong information so they could correct their listings.

• honeybunny442
    16 years ago

Stacy's Seeds and S'more aka stardrifting

she may have been good for you, but not for me. Didn't answer emails, and none of the seeds ever grew for me.

• rdback
    16 years ago

eBay Id: threebunnys

I bought both tomato and pepper seeds (40 varieties of each) from threebunnys last spring for the 2007 growing season. Each variety of seed came labelled in their own small ziplock bag. Very pleased with quality of seed - germination rate was very high. As it turned out, acurracy of seed identification was perfect. In other words, the seed turned into the plant identified on the label. That's always nice lol! I came across this photo I took last September, showing the days harvest of some of the peppers.

If I need pepper and/or tomato seeds in the future, I would certainly purchase from threebunnys again. Thumbs UP.

{{gwi:1185358}}

• krazyaroider
    16 years ago

Has anyone here bid/purchase any plant material from gsawgle on ebay?

• napapen
    16 years ago

I don't recognize that name but I purchase quite abit from ebay and can't think of any instance when I wasn't satisfied. I also noticed that alot of the regular mailorder nurseries have ebay sites: ie; High Country Gardens. Before I bid I compare prices with their regular site. It's not hard to figure out if they have a regular mailorder site.

Penny

• marilenav1
    15 years ago

eBay has some excellent vendors but as far as seed sellers are concerned, the vast majority are buying and selling seed from other companies. What I mean by this is that the seed is not collected from their own plants but purchased from Tradewinds Fruit, Prairie Moon, JL Hudson, and/or Banana Tree. If the seed they receive from these wholesalers is not viable and not stored well, the results are poor germination.

There are some excellent vendors on Ebay that collect their own seed. This includes:

impower56
    onaleei
    mapundungu
    tasteeclectic

• squirrelspur
    15 years ago

Anytime an Ebay seed seller has tons of seed listings I pretty much know they have purchased wholesale seeds and are repackaging - against the terms of sale for wholesale seeds btw. If they are responsible and sell the seeds in a timely fashion, they can sell viable seeds but unfortunately a lot of them keep the seeds too long and they are not viable. That's why I prefer the sellers with smaller listings that are probably fresh from their gardens.

And the shipping can be so high. We all know what it costs to send a bubble envelope and some of the Ebay sellers charge too much in my opinion for a few seeds - $2.95 or higher and sometimes they don't even send a bubble envelope. I've gotten crushed seeds when they didn't. Some of them are posters here and should know better!

• fgilles02420
    15 years ago

Gsawgle is wonderful - I bought two Musa basjoo last year, they arrived in great shape!

• jerseywendy
    15 years ago

For anyone who grows roses, give "huilito" a try. I've won/ordered several own root roses from her, and they are all thriving.

---
    Wendy

• hmacdona1
    15 years ago

I see another member had good luck with "ecoseeds" but I refuse to buy from them anymore. At one time I bought a lot from them and then I found their service levels changed significantly....they continuously made errors in their orders, never responded to my emails and were very rude "if" and "when" I finally got a response about missing seeds. I would not recommend them.

Some ebay sellers I've had good luck with:

calseeds
    janie2011
    merlesgardencenter1
    purpleorchid51
    salvia350
    seedsandmore
    tony3446

I am glad I tripped across this post. Now I'm going to have to check out some of the other sellers that are recommended here.

Thanks....Heather

• poisondartfrog
    15 years ago

I emailed Ebay seller gardenofangels2 to let them know they had an incorrect photo with a listing for Pentapetes phoenicia. I'll think twice before I try to help someone I thought made an honest mistake again.
    Rude response, item still running with very very misleading photo. Had it been me I would have been scrambling to make a correction to avoid misleading a buyer.

• jessicavanderhoff
    14 years ago

I at first had a good experience with groco seeds, then ordered some thyme seeds, which had a germination percentage around 1%. Company did not bother responding to my emails. (To top it off, paypal was having 'technical difficulties,' and the charge disappeared from my paypal account although it had been charged to my bank account, and I was unable to dispute the charge.) So I would not recommend them.

• georgia_teacher
    13 years ago

Ordered irises from the_country_garden last fall. The fans arrived promptly and looked pretty healthy; however, not one single plant came to true to name. In fact, I ordered two different varieties and when the plants bloomed out this spring, they were all the same variety. It was not even close to the original order, so this was no honest mistake. I contacted her twice with no response. I see she has Midnight Oil listed for sale again. This is one of the ones I paid for from her last year. Buyer BEWARE!

• taz6122
    13 years ago

I too had a problem with groco and will never order from them again. I also have a problem with nature park. The tomato seeds were dark in color and so far 3 out of 30 seeds have germinated. No messages at all from this seller and they had the nerve to respond to feedback with "You started seeds in closed garage with 0 air circulation". I don't have a garage and always use a fan.

• terryincs
    13 years ago

I bought almost all of my seeds for 2011 on ebay. I chose sellers who combined shipping and was able to put together 5-8 packages of seed for a low shipping cost from each. Since I have not germinated any of them, I can't attest to viability but the customer service on all of these sellers was great. Most sent anywhere from 1-5 packs of "bonus" seeds. A welcome treat!
    Ohio Heirloom Seeds
    Rons Seed Store
    rsedwards64
    flowerangel10607
    Marjorie Duncan (can't remember ebay name)heirloom tomatoes

Some may be resellers, some are probably harvesters because of the small inventory. We'll see how the growing goes--I ordered vegies, herbs and flowers.

• ecseeds_yahoo_com
    13 years ago

Hello All,

I am an Ebay seller, though a small one. I buy my seeds from a few trusted sources who have never let me down yet. They are mostly 'mom and pop' enterprises from way back. They have helped me with the best seeds to sell and plant, and have consistently delivered seeds with first rate germination.

I do not always sell all of my stock in one year, so I germination test the seeds myself before listing them again the following year. If the germination is less than 70% I plant them in my own acreage.

The seeds are kept in the basement at a pretty constant low temp. The basement is dark and as I live in Idaho it is also dry, perfect for seed storage.

We are growing our own seed but it takes time. We are also transitioning to organic production.

Selling seeds online (selling anywhere) is not easy! I always give the customers full refunds, polite responses, and bend over backwards to accomodate.

Sometimes things go wrong, and it is then that the voice is heard the loudest. For example on Ebay I sell about 20 packets of seed for one feedback, and on Amazon it is about 300 packets of seeds for 1 feedback. The sad thing is for those 300 good sales the one bad sale will leave negative feedback.

With all the charges there is little profit in it, barely enough to make a basic wage but I love what I do so I continue on in the face of constant challenges.

I bought a few packs of well known brand seeds from the store the other day, 50% more exspensive, dissapointed with the quality of seeds (there were dead ones and broken ones to bulk the weight out), and half the weight of what I sell...

Not all of us are vagabonds! but I think my days on Ebay are numbered with the new price changes. It looks like we will go local with organic seeds, and also sell the produce we grow ourselves locally. The big internet world is getting way too greedy. Small and local is the way to go. At least you can pop down the road and have it out 'face to face'...

Happy Planting!

jlatchu

• rqeversole
    12 years ago

Excellent service from blueribbontomatoes on eBay. Amazingly rare varieties! I bought the 100 variety tomato pack, and 1 package was labeled with NO seeds in it. I emailed her, and received a response that night. She quickly reshipped the seed package and included an extra pack of seeds for my troubles. Excellent customer service, I would not hesitate to buy from her again. You can even ask her details and tips about varieties and she responds like you have been long time friends.

Sponsored
Columbus Foremost Siding & Exterior Design Solutions