Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bstnh1

Other names for 4 Seasons Nursery and Burgess

bstnh1
14 years ago

Here are the names this horrible outfit does business under according to the BBB. They all h ave a "D" rating with the BBB.

Additional DBA Names: Richard Owen Nursery

Farmer Seed & Nursery

Four Seasons Nursery

Inter-State Nurseries

Exciting Gardens

Royal Dutch Gardens

Honeycreek Nurseries, LLC

Kelly Nurseries

Plantron, Inc.

Burgess Seed & Plant Company

Direct Gardening

Comments (4)

• litzi1964
    10 years ago

Avoid like the plague! Last year I did a lot of planting. Counting bulbs, plant divisions and perennials I planted over 300 plants. Out of all those I had exactly 5 plants that did not grow back. 4 were ornamental grasses from directgardening.com. They were the only plants I got from them. I got plants from neighbors, relatives, easywdflowers.com, prairie moon nursery, and my local menards and home depot. So the plants I got from direct gardening had a 100% mortality rate and the direct gardening plants were 80% of my plant losses.

• Jeanette327
    9 years ago

I've suspected as much when I noticed similar addresses on many of these catalogs. This is the only site I found that verified that thought. Though I don't understand why one company would operate under so many different names. If only to fool consumers into thinking they were all different companies, so that if one got bad reviews the others would still get business.

• Sarah Wolf
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

All the plants I have gotten from them(directgardening.com) have died. I kept thinking that it must have been either something I have done or, that perhaps the postal system tossing around the plants in the delivery bag just got too much of a beating and kept wondering why they would send any plants not better packaged.

Before asking for a replacement on one of my plants I sent them a few question emails to make sure I knew what they wanted sent to them and did so through the website -never got a response!

I did however, get a replacement, that was barely clinging to life. It looked like it might survive but, whether it was their fault or the heat of the summer, the plant died within a few days.

With Burgess though, I haven't had any less success rate with their
    seeds than others I have purchased (and not bought from any of the
    companies listed above). So, seed wise I'm fine with them. I did have 3 plants survive. One to maturity. The other two would have survived had a ground squirrel not dug them up. These plants were all orange butterfly bushes. I also have 1 Adam's Needle Yucca from them that is still living, it's still small but, alive nonetheless.

However, all their freebies you get with ordering such an amount in plants, did not make it.

Also! If they are out of stock of something, they wont contact you, they pick a replacement at their choice. Which I was not happy about them doing.

But after reading this I did wonder why I got other 'company catalogs' with the same plant images, the same price and the same shipping rate and replacement policy.

My saddest thoughts and feelings are for these plants.

*I did have to edit and add in that I had some plants live. It's just such a gamble, which again I think comes down to the way they are shipped.

• Francis Pytlik
    3 years ago

I ordered from one of these companies. After ordering I found and read most of the comments. i had about a 50% suruvival rate. Now, since I receive there catalog early I check what plants I would like to add this year and then order from a more reliable company. These companies all have the same address so they are easy to spot. Definitely will not order from again!

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor