Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
oakleif

D. Landreth Seed Company

oakleif
16 years ago

Has anyone done any business with D Landreth Seed company? They are a heirloom Company and an old company. Just got their catalog but have never ordered from them.

Thanks

Comments (6)

• remy_gw
    16 years ago

I've only ordered their note cards, both flower and veggie sets. The cards are excellent, and they came in a timely manner. I wish I could comment on personal experience with the seeds.
    Remy

• weirdtrev
    16 years ago

I wasn't particularly impressed with them. I went to their plant sale and bought some seeds and two tomato plants. One of the plants was a silver fir tree tomato and I though it would be neat because of the foliage, but it only grew to about 6 inches and had 3 or 4 leaves and one tiny tomato. In hindsight maybe I should have removed the tomato but even after I did remove the tomato the plant didn't grow it remained stunted. It wasn't growing and it wasn't dying I was very displeased. However the other tomato was Kellogg's Breakfast and that tomato is now one of my absolute favorites it formed a large plant with loads of huge, orange, delicious tomatoes. One of the seed packets I bought was for caveman's club gourds and it had a picture of them. The seed grew to be nothing like the parent, the fruits were smooth there were no ridges like shown in the picture. I still feel they are worth trying at least once.

• ollierose
    15 years ago

I absolutely LOVE D Landreth Seed Company!

I had the opportunity to see them at the Southeast Flower Show yesterday and truly loved them! I called them the day before to see what they would be bringing and they ended up telling the owner, who was at the flower show, about my call! I received a big hug from her when she realized that I was the person that had called!

D Landreth has wonderful heirloom seeds and I was also able to get some great daylilies, dahlias, shallots and asparagus!

I would suggest their company to anyone whether you shop in person or online! They remind me of a "mom and pop" company and I always prefer that to a "big box" company. I'll definitely be ordering from them in the future!

Diana

• gringo
    15 years ago

I was at the Maymont flower show/sale in Richmond VA. last spring (2008). I bought seeds at the time, (which were just fine) but I wrote my name down for simply just a catalog expected in 2009, (in their book, at the show booth, specifically to receive it)) & never got it.
    Oh well.
    Usually you get numerous catalogs, from mailorder garden companies, without even asking.
    Not a single one, from them. Woulda been nice, if they'd acknlowedged my request, at least...
    gringo

• jimster
    15 years ago

I ordered vegetable seeds from Landreth and needed to ask for some information by phone. I can't remember the reason for my call but I do remember getting friendly, personal attention. Everything was perfect with my order. I have the impression that these folks are very dedicated to continuing Landreth as a high quality seed supplier.

Jim

• ollierose
    15 years ago

gringo,

They told me in February of this year that they had a huge number of catalog requests for the 2009 catalog, therefore it is taking longer to print it. Their catalogs are coveted by many as they are very beautifully designed. Hang in there, they may still send you one. You could always got to their site and put in another request.