Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
candacezn5

restoring after constuction

Candacezn5
20 years ago

We have lived in our house in the city for 13 years. Our house was built in 1903. This year we decided to have some work done including painting the outside and waterproofing the foundation (the basement was damp and musty). We naively thought that we could take a vacation while the outside work was being done and then be home for the inside work (we ended up moving to an empty apartment down the block for five months and are now just getting ready to move back in). While we were on vacation the contractors dug a trench around three sides of our house that in essence destroyed the garden part of the yard. I am sad about the plants and flowers that I never moved but there is little I can do about it now except move on. I don't think the lost plants will be back because the trench was 4 to 5 feet deep and about the same in width. On the other hand my garden was no great shakes and now I have a chance to kind of start from scratch. I want to get rid of our lawn in the front and do a more natural or prairie garden. We have an american elm tree in front that has grown alot over the years and shades a big portion of the lawn which has resulted in more dirt than lawn and we have a lovely mulberry tree that our neighbor hates but I keep it well pruned. Our neighbors on the other side (not the mulberry tree side) put in a prairie style garden two years ago and although it is lovely it is not exactly my taste. I want some wild flowers and interesting bushes/small trees to attract birds. I have picked up a number of books to start getting ideas but any advise or ideas that anyone has would be welcome.

Candace

Comments (3)

• ginger_nh
    20 years ago

". . . now I have a chance to kind of start from scratch. I want to get rid of our lawn in the front and do a more natural or prairie garden. We have an american elm tree in front that has grown alot over the years and shades a big portion of the lawn which has resulted in more dirt than lawn and we have a lovely mulberry tree that our neighbor hates but I keep it well pruned. Our neighbors on the other side (not the mulberry tree side) put in a prairie style garden two years ago and although it is lovely it is not exactly my taste. I want some wild flowers and interesting bushes/small trees to attract birds."

The above outlines what you are after. A few questions to flesh out the picture: In what sort of neighborhood do you live? suburban?city? What sort of home? How large is your front yard area? How much of it is in the shade of the elm and mulberry? What is it that you don't like about your neighbor's prairie garden? How would your idea of a wildflower and shrubs/small trees for wildlife garden differ from the neighbor's prairie-style garden?

We have some posters who are very knowledgeable about prairie gardens - lets see if they will respond, also . . .

Ginger

• venezuela
    20 years ago

another question or two, Do you plan to use the garden for other activities or is it just decorative for the neighbors? How much time do you have to spend on your garden each week? Is it a passion or just something that has to be done regularly?

• Candacezn5
    Original Author
    20 years ago

I dont' have my lot size but I live in thae city of Chicago and we have a lot and a half. It's a four square house. The elm tree is close to the street on the south end of the property and the elm tree is on the southern most part of the front lawn at the street. We have a vacation home in Northern Michigan and that is where I really love to work on the garden, watch nature etc. But my neighborhood in chicago is special too, the neighbors (except for the one that hates my mulberry tree) are great, they take great pride in their gardens and although it does not instill the kind of passion that northern michigan does, I have a strong sense of loyalty. What I do not like about my neighbors prairie garden is the lack of color. It is primarily made up of trees, ground cover, bushes and grasses that are lacking in color and diversity. It is very lovely but just lacking in color and interest for me. When we are here in the city (as opposed to up north in michigan) I like to be out and talking and visiting with the neighbors, I invision (on this city tiny spot) trees and shrubs of interest, flowers and maybe even a little sitting area. I would like the birds to feel free to stop by and have something to nibble on. I spend more time here in the spring and fall and less in the summer when the kids are off from school and I can pull myself away from work.

Sponsored
More Discussions