Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
acj7000

Reference books and websites

acj7000
20 years ago

I didn't really want to start a new thread on an already busy forum but I will:-\

Perhaps this a thread heading for the archives so if anyone has a website or a reference book or results of their own research that would like to add please do.

First, have a look at this one to get an idea of what I am driving at http://www.trp.dundee.ac.uk/research/glossary/glossary.html

Comments (17)

• ginny12
    20 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Wow--what a great list. Now I am hoping for a blizzard so I will have an excuse to sit in front of the computer and explore all these sites. Thanks for posting!

• ginger_nh
    20 years ago

Excellent, Tony. Just reading the built landscape definitions is fascinating in itself. (In checking the "R's" I went immediately to "rat course" which turns out to be slates arranged in a fashion to keep rodents out of dovecotes!! Very British.)

I wanted to start a thread like this but as only 3 responses were given to the "Books on Restoration?" query below, I thought I'd wait a bit. Hope people respond to this post's title; would be a good FAQ thread.

Three books that I use frequently are:

"Rejuvenating a Garden" by Stephen Anderton
    This is not a book about restoration or historical aspects of garden renewal. This is the nuts and bolts "how to do it" aspect of renewing or renovating any and all gardens -- takes you thru the whole process of re-designing, budgeting, formulating the steps to change and in what order, immediate "first aid" for plants, excellent chapter on pruning in the older, mature and/or overgrown garden, assessing and timing: when to wait and when to act -- I love this book. Very practical and well-written British gardening lore and practices.

"The New Traditional Garden: A Practical Guide to Creating and Restoring Authentic American Gardens for Homes of All Ages" by Michael Weishan. New, comprehensive, good overview.

"For Every House A Garden" by Rudy and Joy Favretti
    About New England gardens 1600-1900 and for the average DYI homeowner making the effort to reproduce something of a period garden. Interestingly, they recommend finding out as much as you can about the former owners of your home and garden as the place to start the restoration research.

The various garden history societies are excellent sources of information and good organizations to support through membership:

The New England Garden History Society
    Web Page URL: http://www.masshort.org/neghs.htm

I belonged for some time but have let my membership lapse. They have an excellent bookstore, newsletter, journal, workshop offerings, lectures, garden tours, and the like.

For the southern part of the country there is:

Southern Garden History Society
    www.southerngardenhistory.org

For Californians/West Coast:
    California Garden and Landscape History Society
    www.cglhs.org

And for England:

Garden History Society
    http://www.gardenhistorysociety.org/index.shtml

General(some garden and landscape focus):

National Trust for Historic Preservation
    http://www.nationaltrust.org/

Ginger

• ginger_nh
    20 years ago

Jo-
    Would be helpful if the name of the site or organization accompanied the web address. Thanks.
    Ginger

• back_yard_guy
    20 years ago

Ron_B recently recommended a book to me. It is entitled:

Establishment and Maintenance of Landscape Plants
    by Carl Whitcomb.

This is probably my most treasured book. The first section details all of the 'hows' without bothering you with the 'whys'. The next portion elaborates on the 'whys'.

This book blows a lot gardening myths out of the water. For example, he elaborates on why the timeless advice to 'water deeply and less frequently' can bring about disasterous results and why you should really rather use 'frequent shallow watering'. Also, he explains how useless these deep-watering probes, which are used to inject dissolved fertilizer tablets, really are. Another is a gripping tale about the benefits of all planting, and how they will out-perform/out-grow spring-planted stock.

I really owe Ron_B for this one.

• mjsee
    20 years ago

Ginny--be careful what you wish for! You might get your blizzard--and lose your power! Voice of experience...even in zone 7b!

My favorite book of the moment is Passalong Plants by Steve Bender and Felder Rushing. Talk about a source for names and suggestions of "old-timey" plants! Plus, it's just fun to read. And Felder Rushing appeals to the "Junk Queen" within...

Confession time--I found Landscape Design via Garden Junk...so I must confess a secret delight in bowling balls and garden benches made from headboards...

Am I still welcome?

melanie

• spectre
    20 years ago

Hello All:

I'm beginning to feel like the lonely Maytag repairman (much skinnier) in the forum's "Tropical and Subtropical Garden Department", located just behind the unopened US Government crate last seen at the end of Raiders of the Lost Ark. I'll probably become the forum's wacky uncle; you know...the demented relative everyone has locked up in the attic until Thanksgiving, at which time the loony and wheel chair are rolled out and paraded to the kids at the turkey dinner. After the festivities, it's time to SpaceBag him/her and stuff the crazy, but lovable, lug in the attic to watch The Jerry Springer Show until the next Thanksgiving, when it's time to do it again.

I'm not sure how a guy with a warm-weather bent can contribute to a forum loaded with historical colonial-era (and temperate) gardens. Heck, the McDonald's a mile from me qualifies as a historical landmark...and it was built seven years ago. I guess I can hang around for comic relief, ready with the clever quips and metaphorical links between big landscape balls and the Horta nodules or Enterprise's engine nacell... errrr...never mind....

Anyway, with disclaimer aside, here are some of my most referenced garden books for plant compendiums, design, and inspiration:

Balinese Gardens. Luca Invernizzi Tettoni (Photography), William Warren (Text). Periplus, 2000. $39.95.

Cultivated Palms of the World. Don & Anthony Ellison. Betrock, 2001. $59.95. Cant have a list on tropical plant books without at least one on palms.

Gardens by the Sea: Creating a Tropical Paradise. Gadren Club of Palm Beach. University Press of Florida, 1999. $34.95

Mediterranean Gardening. Heidi Gildimeister. University of California Press, 2002 (paperback ed). $24.95.

Ornamental Trees for San Diego and Other Mediterranean Climates. Don Walker (Photography), Steve Brigham (Text). San Diego Horticultural Society, 2003. $34.95.

Plants For Tropical Landscapes: A GardenerÂs Guide. Fred D. Rauch, Paul R. Weissich. University of Hawaii Press, 2000. $39.95.

Southern California Gardening. Pat Welsh. Chronicle Books, 1999. $29.95.

Subtropical Garden, The. Jacquelyn Walker, et al. Timber Press, 1996. $24.95.

Thai Garden Style. Luca Invernizzi Tettoni, William Warren. Periplus, 2003. $30.00. Latest edition is in paperback.

Tropical Flowering Plants. Kirsten Albrecht Llamas. Timber Press, 2003. $69.95.

Tropical Garden, The. Luca Invernizzi Tettoni, William Warren. Thames & Hudson, 1995, 2000. $29.95.

Tropical Garden Design. Made Wijaya. Periplus, 1999. $50.00.

Tropical Look, The: An Encyclopedia of Dramatic Landscape Plants. Robert Lee Riffle. Timber Press, 1998. $49.95. This book won an AHS Annual Award in 1998.

Tropical Plants for Home and Garden. Luca Invernizzi Tettoni, William Warren. Thames & Hudson, 1997. $50.00.

Western Garden Book. Kathleen Norris Brenzel, ed. Sunset Publishing, 2001. $32.95

There's my recommended reading list from the subtropical zone. When someone comes in asking to restore Viscaya in Key Biscayne or the Huntington Gardens, you can find me upstairs watching the episode about mothers who date their daughter's third cousin's gay boyfriends...or was that last week's?

spectre

• nandina
    20 years ago

Spectre,
    You would be right at home restoring Viscaya. (Not that it needs it!) Very much the same types of plants used in CA. Anyone planning a Florida trip must visit the house (castle?) and gardens of Viscaya. Fabulous!

• ginger_nh
    20 years ago

Hope we don't go too far down the history and restoration road, leaving renewal and renovation behind.

Anyone have any books dedicated to garden re-design, garden renovation, garden renewal? Without the restoration/garden history focus?

I listed my favorite above:

"Rejuvenating a Garden" by Stephen Anderton
    This is not a book about restoration or historical aspects of garden renewal. This is the nuts and bolts "how to do it" aspect of renewing or renovating any and all gardens -- takes you thru the whole process of re-designing, budgeting, formulating the steps to change and in what order, immediate "first aid" for plants, excellent chapter on pruning in the older, mature and/or overgrown garden, assessing and timing: when to wait and when to act -- I love this book. Very practical and well-written British gardening lore and practices.

Ginger

• redthistle1_yahoo_com
    20 years ago

I think I've found heaven. This is wonderful. Unfortunately, I don't have any books to add which was why I was asking for restoration garden books. It didn't even occur to me to ask for web sites/links.

• phdnc
    20 years ago

Quite the list guys!!! Thanks, for the sites. I may have to share in Ginny's wish in order to have time to puruse.lol.
    Just wanted to add one more site below. The Brooklyn Botanic Gardens has a great research library, historical pictures and they still publish their handbooks. These are packed with practical info and a great addition to any garden library.
    For some reason its not excepting the quick link (go figure) so here is the site:
    http://www.bbg.org/
    Brooklyn Botanic Garden

• Saypoint zone 6 CT
    20 years ago

Another link

• Saypoint zone 6 CT
    20 years ago

Another Link
    Jo

• ginger_nh
    20 years ago

Jo-
    The HALS has a great site. Photos bring an immediacy that words can't deliver. Also liked the "memory" site you posted(first one on your list above)with the old garden photos.
    G.

• Saypoint zone 6 CT
    20 years ago

Another link:
    Jo

• Saypoint zone 6 CT
    20 years ago

Yet another:
    Jo

• Saypoint zone 6 CT